2024 severe weather!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Next weekend we could have more snow coming in. I saw the report from www.mynbc5.com out of Plattsburgh NY, it could be what they called elevation snow.

1709737287084.png

1709737320660.png

1709737366584.png

1709737401860.png

1709737456012.png

1709737526931.png

Only the third storm may have a bit of cold air to work with to bring snow or a wintry mix. However, that is likely to be confined to northern New England. As colder air sweeps in on the storm's backside, rain may end as snow showers from the central Appalachians to the eastern Great Lakes.

As each storm swings through the Southeastern states before reaching the Northeast, some thunderstorms may become severe.

I’m not loving this wet weather. My house is 3/4 done being resided. All my gutters are down. Sigh.

No idea. It’s all clay here so my basement is a bucket no matter what.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Ground is still frozen here except maybe the top inch or two so my backyard is making some nice ponds (and I'm sure the drainage areas to either side of the house are filling up pretty good). I made sure to put my extension pipe on the exit for the sump in my garage to get the outflow several feet from the house so it can drain downhill.

It’s muddy here also. I’m not sure how deep the ground even froze this year.

I was burying a new internet line in my front yard just the other day with a spade

They’re calling for snow or wintry mix this weekend.

We don't have any sitting water around the house and the northside of the house has the frost come out of the ground first since it gets more sun. The trails in the woods are still wet but that should change soon enough.

I think this weekend they're forecasting 1 - 3 inches of snow with rain.

Hazardous Weather Outlook​

Hazardous Weather Outlook
National Weather Service Buffalo NY
443 AM EST Thu Mar 7 2024

NYZ006>008-080945-
Oswego-Jefferson-Lewis-
443 AM EST Thu Mar 7 2024

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for portions of central New York.

.DAY ONE...Today and tonight.

Hazardous weather is not expected at this time.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Friday through Wednesday.

Southeast winds will increase later Friday night and through Saturday
evening. Southeast gusts 40 to 50 mph, especially the Tug Hill and
northwest downslope region of the Tug Hill could lead to isolate
power outages.

Snow, lake effect and upslope, with moderate accumulations late
Saturday night through Monday night. Heaviest snow will be Sunday and
Sunday night.

NYZ026>031-034-035-087-VTZ001>011-016>021-082015-
Northern St. Lawrence-Northern Franklin-Eastern Clinton-
Southeastern St. Lawrence-Southern Franklin-Western Clinton-
Western Essex-Eastern Essex-Southwestern St. Lawrence-Grand Isle-
Western Franklin-Orleans-Essex-Western Chittenden-Lamoille-Caledonia-
Washington-Western Addison-Orange-Western Rutland-Eastern Franklin-
Eastern Chittenden-Eastern Addison-Eastern Rutland-Western Windsor-
Eastern Windsor-
311 PM EST Thu Mar 7 2024

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for northern New York, central
Vermont, northeast Vermont, northwest Vermont and southern Vermont.

.DAY ONE...This afternoon and tonight.

There are a few flood warnings still in effect for minor flooding at
this time, but river levels were cresting or receding and no new
flooding is expected.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Friday through Wednesday.

Another storm system is anticipated to impact the North Country late
Saturday into early next week. A highly elevation dependent heavy
wet snowfall is possible on Saturday night into Sunday with some
isolated to scattered power outages. Greatest probability of snowfall
of 4 inches or more will be across the northern Adirondacks and
along and east of the Green Mountains in Vermont. Also, given high
flows from recent rainfall and snowmelt, rivers will need to be
watched closely for possible minor flooding.

The second part of the system will feature a prolonged upslope snow
event on Sunday night into early next week, with accumulating
snowfall likely in the northern Adirondacks and parts of the central
and northern Greens.

As the impacts and snow amounts become clearer in the next day or
so, winter headlines maybe needed for parts of the region.

For Easter Ontario and Southen Ontario

Special Weather Statement
Issued at Thu 4:25 PM Mar. 7
Issued by: Environment and Climate Change Canada
Description

Significant rainfall is possible Saturday through Sunday.

Hazards:
Rain. Total rainfall amounts of 20 to 40 mm with higher amounts possible.
Risk of freezing rain.

Timing:
Beginning Saturday through Sunday.

Discussion:
A low-pressure system will bring widespread rain across southern Ontario this weekend. Rain will move over the area Saturday morning and progress eastward across the region. There is a risk of freezing rain in the Ottawa Valley during the onset of the event. At this point, there is still uncertainty regarding rainfall amounts. Rainfall warnings may be issued for some regions as the event approaches. The rain is expected to change over to snow on Sunday as colder air moves over the region. Snowfall accumulation is possible on Sunday.

For information concerning flooding, please consult your local Conservation Authority or Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry office. Visit Ontario.ca/floods for the latest details.

For Easter Ontario and Southen Ontario

Special Weather Statement
Issued at Thu 4:25 PM Mar. 7
Issued by: Environment and Climate Change Canada
Description

Significant rainfall is possible Saturday through Sunday.

Hazards:
Rain. Total rainfall amounts of 20 to 40 mm with higher amounts possible.
Risk of freezing rain.

Timing:
Beginning Saturday through Sunday.

Discussion:
A low-pressure system will bring widespread rain across southern Ontario this weekend. Rain will move over the area Saturday morning and progress eastward across the region. There is a risk of freezing rain in the Ottawa Valley during the onset of the event. At this point, there is still uncertainty regarding rainfall amounts. Rainfall warnings may be issued for some regions as the event approaches. The rain is expected to change over to snow on Sunday as colder air moves over the region. Snowfall accumulation is possible on Sunday.

For information concerning flooding, please consult your local Conservation Authority or Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry office. Visit Ontario.ca/floods for the latest details.
I see Accu is calling for an inch of rain for our area on Saturday, most starting in the afternoon but I'm sure that will change.

We have frost this morning! That's kind of severe weather t his year!

We have frost this morning! That's kind of severe weather t his year!
Time will tell if this hits us, hopefully it doesn't.

.WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY EVENING THROUGH MONDAY EVENING...* WHAT...Heavy wet snow possible. Total snow accumulations of 4 to 12 inches, with localized higher amounts possible. Winds could gust as high as 45 mph, especially the Western Slopes of the Green Mountains.* WHERE...Portions of northern New York and central, northern, and eastern Vermont, including the Northeast Kingdom.* WHEN...From Saturday evening through Monday evening.* IMPACTS...Isolated to scattered power outages are possible, especially Saturday night into Sunday. Travel could be very difficult.* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...A mix of snow and rain develops late Saturday afternoon and changes to mostly a heavy wet snow above 1000 feet on Saturday night into Sunday morning, before a brief break on Sunday. Snow will redevelop late Sunday and become heavy at times, especially the central and northern Green Mountains, including the Western Slopes Sunday night into Monday, before tapering off late Monday.

We have a wrestling tournament to go to on Sunday. If the weather is bad, it might be a small event, lol

As of today, the cold snap is over. We're back to daytime highs in the mid-50's and overnight lows in the mid-40s. With Seattle sunshine (a.k.a. rain), of course. :)

All sorts of good chit coming this way.
1709956126175.png

1709956157844.png

1709956198075.png

1709956233766.png

1709956264970.png

1709956307194.png

The weather forecast for my area calls for 8-14” of snow and winds up to 45 mph. Tug hill region.

It’s been in the upper 30’s and blowing rain today so far. I think the fun is supposed to start later. My driveway is already a muddy mess. I bet a foot of snow on top of that mud will be even more fun ;lol

Luckily I don’t have to be anywhere until Tuesday ;)

The weather forecast for my area calls for 8-14” of snow and winds up to 45 mph. Tug hill region.

It’s been in the upper 30’s and blowing rain today so far. I think the fun is supposed to start later. My driveway is already a muddy mess. I bet a foot of snow on top of that mud will be even more fun ;lol

Luckily I don’t have to be anywhere until Tuesday ;)
When is the SNIRT run this year? I heard they moved it up from the date they usually have it.

It’s just rain here.

I just drove back from the Bronx Zoo, it poured the entire way!

Back from Minneapolis.
Wind here is howling. But we just had the low for tonight: 41.
Heating up from here on out to the high of 50 tomorrow.
Tomorrow night a low of 34, but Tuesday a high of 54, so no fire here as one night is not long enough for me. Mini split it is. (Unless the power goes down.)

Woke up at 1 am to the rumble of the standing seam roof dumping. At shortly before 2 am (which then quickly turned to 3am - LOL), I could hear it raining . The roof still has an inch or so of snow on it (where I can see it fro the back porch), so must have gotten a quick 3-4" of the white stuff before it turned to rain. It is currently pouring and those vertical lines are water coming off the roof (pic taken at 4 am).

Snowin backyard using flash 3-10-24.jpg