2024 severe weather!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I thought we were going to be seeing single digits this week. They changed the forecast. I’m ok with that. Tomorrow night I’ll be back up north for a meeting. I’m ok not working hard to keep warm!

Reactions: thewoodlands
@all night moe , are you sure don't want any pine! Below is from AccuWeather.

Looking ahead, residents in the East may notice an uptick in stormy weather after this week. Temperatures can trend closer to typical February values across the country's northern tier.

"A 'word to the wise,' enjoy the next 10 days or so, because some winter cold and winter-type weather will likely come back into play for the Eastern US prior to and even beyond Valentine’s Day for the second half of February," added DeVore.

AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist and Lead U.S. Long-Range Forecaster Paul Pastelok has highlighted for weeks that a pattern will develop by mid-February and continue into early March, supporting more wintry, colder weather for the eastern half of the nation, especially the Northeast and mid-Atlantic.

Reactions: all night moe
I like pine. It seasons fast, gives heat fast, and doesn’t leave a lot of ash. As long as you don’t mind loading more often, it’s good stuff!

11 this morning. Last night at 10 I stuffed 2 rows of oak on top of a nice bed of coals. 9 hours later I still have a lot of coals and the cabin is a couple degrees warmer than it was when I went to bed. You’ve got to love a good stove!

I could hear the ice singing last night inside, lol.

Just an early map of who might get snow. I've only burned a face cord of oak but it's nice firewood once it's seasoned.
2024 severe weather!

No fire, no pellet stove sun shining 13.8::C same tomorrow
Kinda nice no coat outside with the dog. Mother Nature will make us pay
big time without a dought.

5" on the ground and still coming down fast here.

It’s just cloudy here.

I was supposed to have a delivery from Hartford today. They aren’t driving today, lol. They’re getting hammered!

It’s cold and windy today. That rodent in Pennsylvania lied!

Not severe, but another 3.5" on top of what was left over from the previous 5".

And I'm missing my weather update from the foothills of the Adirondacks... (@thewoodlands )

The most I’ve heard of was 7” from that last snowfall. I bet he got less.

The most I’ve heard of was 7” from that last snowfall. I bet he got less.
The last two snowfalls gave us another 12 inches at the most of sugar snow. We have some warmer days coming in with rain (40's) but we also have some colder days coming at us too. (13)

Even when it's cold but the sun is out, the sun makes it feel 20 degrees warmer on the northside of the house but once you get back under the pines on the southside of the house, it's cold.

I checked the weather up north this morning and it was 3 degrees. There’s a bit of snow on the lake now, but the ice is still building. Come March it’ll start backing off. The ice didn’t get real thick this year. I think I saw an article that 2 guys went through the ice on Sacandaga.

I checked the weather up north this morning and it was 3 degrees. There’s a bit of snow on the lake now, but the ice is still building. Come March it’ll start backing off. The ice didn’t get real thick this year. I think I saw an article that 2 guys went through the ice on Sacandaga.
Yes, we still have some colder weather we'll get but soon those days will be gone. I've been reading or seeing on the local news about people going through the ice, most didn't make it. The same has been happening in Vermont.

Nothing severe but there isn't much else coming at us.

2024 severe weather!

all our fishing shacks fell in the lake.
We always have people over here that lose them each year. NYS is always looking for a new way of collecting money so it wouldn't surprise me if they made people register their ice shacks, it has been brought up before.

I know they need the owner’s address on them. I’ve only seen the pop ups last decade or so.

The sun is getting stronger! It’s only 26 out, but the sun feels sooooo warm! I’m liking it! Winter has worn on me this year!

The sun is getting stronger! It’s only 26 out, but the sun feels sooooo warm! I’m liking it! Winter has worn on me this year!
It sure feels nice. There is a system that will hit the northwest that will dip down and then hit some states in middle of the U.S., the cold air & warm air will meet that should cause some severe weather. I'm pretty sure that could happen the middle of next week, hopefully Accu gets a map up. The way the jet stream was when I saw it this morning should bring it northeast, time will tell.

2024 severe weather!

2024 severe weather!

2024 severe weather!

2024 severe weather!

On Wednesday, approximately 30 million may be at risk for severe thunderstorms and possible tornadoes from northern Indiana and Ohio to eastern Arkansas, the central portions of Mississippi and Alabama, as well as part of northern Georgia.

Some of the major cities and travel hubs that could be at risk for severe weather for part of Wednesday to Wednesday night include Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Nashville and Memphis, Tennessee; Louisville, Kentucky; Birmingham, Alabama; and perhaps some of the northern and western suburbs of Atlanta, Buckingham said.

As the cold front continues to press eastward on Thursday, the risk of severe weather may include much of the heavily populated Interstate 85 and 95 corridors of the Southeast and mid-Atlantic states and even as far north as Philadelphia and New York City.

At some point from Wednesday evening to Thursday, the thunderstorm activity may focus along a solid line containing strong wind gusts and downpours. There may be a risk of isolated tornadoes embedded along the line or possibly rotating thunderstorms that develop ahead of the line.

Forecasters recommend that people and officials review their severe weather safety measures and action plans. March marks the beginning of the severe weather season. Still, severe weather can occur year-round, and with the scope of well-above-historical-average temperatures this winter, severe weather will likely get off to an early start.