Any firsthand experience with new VC Intrepid Flexburn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

elmoleaf

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2007
Southeastern Massachusetts
Does anyone have the new VC Intrepid Flexburn? Looks like they discontinued the Intrepid II. The new model has a bottom swingout ashpan with pan/lid combo that can be lifted right off of the door for emptying. Also can be purchased with or without a cat....and designed for operating either way.
Looks like the particulars of the exhaust exit from firebox are now different and perhaps box has firebrick inside? I'm guessing they've finally engineered out the expensive fragile refractory chamber?
Would appreciate any photos of the innards, operating experience, or other experience with the new model.
Thank you!

The part diagram still shows a refractory assembly (19&21), though with a new design. No cat showing in this parts diagram. It sits in the slot behind the access door. This is still a complicated little stove, but hopefully with more robust refractory components now. It brags some impressively clean specs. This is pellet stove territory.

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 4.44.53 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 4.57.16 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ30
We considered this stove, but the complexity put us off. I don't think there's anything wrong with it and it's priced well for the performance. If you get it, do let us know how it works out! The stats are pretty nice.

Looks like they have blue black enamel (twilight) as an option. Nice!

Reactions: SpaceBus
I'm likely going to buy one replacing my Encore. Encore is just too oversized for the room it's in but chose it over the older Intrepid I bought last year. I'm impressed a lot more with this upgraded version. I believe the burn time as expanded from 6 to 8 hours. I can live with that. I want to see one in person though before I pull the trigger.

If I understand the diagram and what I've seen on the VC website, the cat sits on that shelf in part #21? The owner's manual isn't very clear about cat access ...text says to remove access door and inner fire back, but the drawing suggests only the access door needs to be removed by simply lifting out to access the cat. It seems like 21 would be a cast iron part and 19 is perhaps some sort of refractory material? Wish they'd provide better information....smart marketing would be to address concerns customers have about the expensive fragile replacement parts in prior designs.
On my old Intrepid II, the metal band on the cat has warped and expanded against the refractory chamber and damaged it.
I'm starting to consider long term and replacement. I'm hoping the redesigned Intrepid has more robust internals. Guess I'll need to look at it first hand in a showroom.

Download the manuals and study the parts list. Part 19 is listed as the refractory engine. Part 21 is listed as the refractory fireback. There are refractory side panels as well.

According to the manual the cat is inserted/removed by just removing the access panel.

If I understand the diagram and what I've seen on the VC website, the cat sits on that shelf in part #21? The owner's manual isn't very clear about cat access ...text says to remove access door and inner fire back, but the drawing suggests only the access door needs to be removed by simply lifting out to access the cat. It seems like 21 would be a cast iron part and 19 is perhaps some sort of refractory material? Wish they'd provide better information....smart marketing would be to address concerns customers have about the expensive fragile replacement parts in prior designs.
On my old Intrepid II, the metal band on the cat has warped and expanded against the refractory chamber and damaged it.
I'm starting to consider long term and replacement. I'm hoping the redesigned Intrepid has more robust internals. Guess I'll need to look at it first hand in a showroom.

The one we saw in the showroom was nice. I took out the little panel, it's some sort of ceramic refractory. It's like a miniature defiant. VC basically just has three different sizes of defiant now.

Reactions: TJ30 and Kevin Weis
I pulled the trigger on one today. Replacing an Encore I bought last year. The Encore turning out to have been too big a stove for the the room it's in (13 X 11) with a 3 X 6.5 doorway to main part of house. Encore does not like to be run at low burns for extended periods of time without risk of de activating cat, puff backs, and also draft hungry. Really needs a 8" flue as opposed to 6". My thinking is the Intrepid will draft better being a smaller stove with the existing 6" flue and easier to control. I'll be the proverbial guinney pig for this model I guess but studying the specs, a better model than last years Intrepid and as you stated now just a smaller version of the Defiant. We'll see. Stay tuned.

Awesome, I look forward to hearing about the performance!

To update, I haven't installed the Intrepid Flexburn yet. Main reason is I haven't sold the Encore yet. But warmer weather is here so it's coming out soon regardless. The cat is metal and not ceramic has stated in the owners manual. The manual is also wrong with taking out a secondary fire brick before the cat is exposed. Just the initial cover. I think they wrote the manual before producing the stove and didn't make the changes in as production started. I don't see where this is any more complicated than the Defiant or Encore and in fact may be a little more simple at least with the secondary burn set up.

To update, I haven't installed the Intrepid Flexburn yet. Main reason is I haven't sold the Encore yet. But warmer weather is here so it's coming out soon regardless. The cat is metal and not ceramic has stated in the owners manual. The manual is also wrong with taking out a secondary fire brick before the cat is exposed. Just the initial cover. I think they wrote the manual before producing the stove and didn't make the changes in as production started. I don't see where this is any more complicated than the Defiant or Encore and in fact may be a little more simple at least with the secondary burn set up.

That's a shame, I had hoped to hear a first hand account of the performance. If I ever needed longer burn times, this is probably the only stove that would work in my small house

That's a shame, I had hoped to hear a first hand account of the performance. If I ever needed longer burn times, this is probably the only stove that would work in my small house
Don't do it there are many other cat stoves out there with proven performance and reliability. The new vcs are better but the downdraft tech is still problematic.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Don't do it there are many other cat stoves out there with proven performance and reliability. The new vcs are better but the downdraft tech is still problematic.
I just like the appearance, size, and output. Most stoves are too big for our well insulated small house. The only time our 2B Classic struggled was 25+ MPH sustained wind at 0f, and by struggled I mean the house was 70 vs 72. I feel like the tall squirrel stove would still keep it 65 even at - 20, at least if there wasn't a ton of wind. In that case our electric heat would assist. Are there any other small cat stoves? I don't forsee us needing a different stove, especially since I want to put a wood cook stove in the house at some point.

I just like the appearance, size, and output. Most stoves are too big for our well insulated small house. The only time our 2B Classic struggled was 25+ MPH sustained wind at 0f, and by struggled I mean the house was 70 vs 72. I feel like the tall squirrel stove would still keep it 65 even at - 20, at least if there wasn't a ton of wind. In that case our electric heat would assist. Are there any other small cat stoves? I don't forsee us needing a different stove, especially since I want to put a wood cook stove in the house at some point.
Yes there are a few from bk and Woodstock.

Yep it is. Hope to have had it hooked up by now for at least the shoulder season. Part of the deal for the sale of the Encore was buyer had to remove. That's proving to be a deal breaker almost no matter the purchase price.

Yes, if I recall correctly this was discussed at length in SpaceBus's inquiry before he purchased the Morso.

Unfortunately neither myself or my wife liked the offerings from either company. She doesn't like soap stone, and neither of us like the BK stoves. I'm sure they are great products with many happy customers, but they weren't for us.

Unfortunately neither myself or my wife liked the offerings from either company. She doesn't like soap stone, and neither of us like the BK stoves. I'm sure they are great products with many happy customers, but they weren't for us.

Good enough, point being they might be a good fit for the author of the thread and are worth a look.

I don't see where this is any more complicated than the Defiant or Encore and in fact may be a little more simple at least with the secondary burn set up.
But if you look at something like the PE 27, there aren't many parts to it at all. I don't think it will run as low as a cat stove, though, if overheating the space is a concern. My keystone is a pretty simple stove, although it has cemented seams that at some point down the road may need attention...

I don't see it is any more complicated than those stoves. But it is much more complicated than most other stoves on the market.

I don't see it is any more complicated than those stoves. But it is much more complicated than most other stoves on the market.
Yes, that's the main reason we didn't get one. The dealer almost sold us on it when we were picking up the Morso.

Anybody have any experience with the 2020 Intrepid? It seems to be one of the better candidates for for my needs (1000 sq ft poorly insulated + leaky windows, hearth stove installation)