Biggest load I have ever had on my trailer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jags said:
Constrictor said:
Jags said:
Constrictor said:
Ive often wondered how much wood is too much on a trailer.

If that Oak was unseasoned, you are looking north of 10,000 on that trailer. Too much.
yes its a freshly downed red oak via tornado. hauling 45 miles home with a 6 cyl silverado.

I just clenched my teeth. :grrr:

Me too.

If you stacked it to cover the entire trailer (figuring 85% efficiency) and two feet high, you'd have about two cord on a load. 9 - 11k lbs. That's a mighty big load on a 3/4 ton diesel...too much to be healthy for a 6-banger half ton. Go easy on it dude.

Ive always figured it was about 2 cord on a fully loaded trailer. and while my 6 cyl 2 wheel drive truck wouldnt pull it out of the woods well, in this situation its nice and flat, someone front yard. easy pickings as the joplin tornado took down an uncountable number of these trees. over the last couple years ive hauled about 30 loads like this with this truck, she now has a little over 300K miles on her and still going strong. the biggest issue would be brakes of course. easy does it and watch out far ahead.

Holy crapballs that is a lot of weight for a 1500 series. Not saying it can't pull it, heck a car could probably move it, doesn't make it a good idea. Go slow and be safe.

I'd be more concered with the tongue weight of that beast. If you are rocking a class III hitch you are looking at a 5000lb and 500lb tongue weight max, but my gues is you have a class IV on there if you haven't broken something yet. The tongue weight on those shouldn't exceed 1200lbs or so.......and using the rule of thumb that tongue weight is about 10% of the trailer weight......you could be close with that load of wet oak.

Don't forget safety chains and cross them properly......

Good luck

I've had an improperly loaded bumper-pull trailer spin me and the truck 360 degrees. Bad Day, no damage tho.

[/quote]Did they fix the axle for this price? how can you fix a bent axle?
Ive often wondered how much wood is too much on a trailer. this is a load of red oak i cut monday. I figure around two cords per full 7x16 trailer. that possible?[/quote]

Yes, they were able to fix the axle. They said it would be within 1/8th of an inch. They chained it to the floor and put some heat on it. It has an S shape to it now but as far as I can tell they got it right.

11k load isn't anything crazy for a 3/4 ton diesel. I've towed at least that often and it's nothing hard to handle for my Ram 2500.

lukem said:
Jags said:
Constrictor said:
Jags said:
Constrictor said:
Ive often wondered how much wood is too much on a trailer.

If that Oak was unseasoned, you are looking north of 10,000 on that trailer. Too much.
yes its a freshly downed red oak via tornado. hauling 45 miles home with a 6 cyl silverado.

I just clenched my teeth. :grrr:

Me too.

If you stacked it to cover the entire trailer (figuring 85% efficiency) and two feet high, you'd have about two cord on a load. 9 - 11k lbs. That's a mighty big load on a 3/4 ton diesel...too much to be healthy for a 6-banger half ton. Go easy on it dude.

NATE379 said:
11k load isn't anything crazy for a 3/4 ton diesel.

My post wasn't concerned with the tow truck, it was concerned with the trailer. Unless that trailer has 5000 pound axles (which it does not appear to have), the trailer was grossly overloaded.

There you go grossly exaggerating the weight of big green Oak rounds again.

SolarAndWood said:

If I get a chance, I will try and weigh one of the quarters that I have, just for you. :lol:

Jags said:
SolarAndWood said:

If I get a chance, I will try and weigh one of the quarters that I have, just for you. :lol:

I'm ok with extrapolating from 150% of Sweep's dry weight and the volume of a cylinder. It is interesting that the first 100 pounds takes 15" of diameter on a 16" round, the second 100 takes an additional 6.5", third takes an additional 5" and so on. That 48" diameter round is 10 times as heavy as the 15" diameter round.

SolarAndWood said:
I'm ok with extrapolating from....

Whew...good, I was not looking forward to dragging my balance beam out to my splitter area. :red:

You guys are making me jelous. Currently the 350 pulls a 6x10.... almost embarrasing. :red: I currently put more wood in the truck bed I think, just because I have the racks on the rails and can stack higher, and well the 350 actually has a higher payload than my trailer with 3500# axle.

Problem is much bigger I would have a hard time getting around the field, when loaded the back of the 6x10 already catches the ground on the big bump at the entrance. Ideally I'd like to put a bigger axle on the trailer like a 6,000# w/ brakes and just build taller sides. It just cost too much!

Speaking of heavy trailers I always refer back to the attrached photo - that steam roller is 22k by itself, not sure about the tractor or trailer! :bug:

Attachments

• 22ksteamrollerplus.jpg
    22ksteamrollerplus.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 198
Gotcha. The trailer I have which is like that has a 12k frame with 2 5200lb axles so I didn't even think about it... pretty much if it can fit on my trailer it is should be fine to tow.

Jags said:
NATE379 said:
11k load isn't anything crazy for a 3/4 ton diesel.

My post wasn't concerned with the tow truck, it was concerned with the trailer. Unless that trailer has 5000 pound axles (which it does not appear to have), the trailer was grossly overloaded.

NATE379 said:
You had 19,000lbs on a what looks to be a 3500lb axles?... Braver than I am!

Most I hauled with my truck (2500 Ram diesel) was a Case 580 backhoe, trailer and hoe weighed in about 20,000lbs.

jeff_t said:
Nice.

I did this on Monday. All red oak, and one 12"ish cherry. I had to stop by the farm and tweak the fender back where it should be cause it was rubbing on a tire. I had to pull on the scale while I was there. Just a bit under 19k. Never again. The truck was fine, but the trailer made me nervous. Luckily, I only had to go about five miles.

What type of hitch are you using to tow that much weight? My F350 diesel is only rated to tow 12,500 pounds. I am looking at 10,000 pounds car haulers. Don't think I would ever try to tow 20,000 pounds with my truck.

Sounds like you subscribe to the saying:
"Don't mind the mule, load the wagon".
Drive slow & safe.
When I have to take a heavy load, I just drive slow with the 4-ways on. Never than big though.

fabsroman said:
What type of hitch are you using to tow that much weight? My F350 diesel is only rated to tow 12,500 pounds. I am looking at 10,000 pounds car haulers. Don't think I would ever try to tow 20,000 pounds with my truck.

I think you missed the part about that being the total combined vehicle weight - his trailer weight would have been slightly under 12500.

OhioBurner© said:
fabsroman said:

I think you missed the part about that being the total combined vehicle weight - his trailer weight would have been slightly under 12500.

I was replying to Nate, and I didn't miss anything. He said he towed a Case backhoe and between the trailer and the hoe he was at 20,000 pounds. With the truck on there he was around 29,000 pounds. This was with a Ram 2500. However, I might have been unclear as to what I was replying to. It was late last night and I should have probably been more specific, but that is what I am asking about. I would even haul the wood that I have seen in those trailers. The backhoe and trailer at 20,000 pounds I wouldn't even dream of touching with my F350 unless my life depended on it.

fabsroman said:
unless my life depended on it.

If my life depended on it, I would be driving 15 mph as long as it took in the seat of the backhoe. In fact, that is how the old 410 went to auction.

SolarAndWood said:
fabsroman said:
unless my life depended on it.

If my life depended on it, I would be driving 15 mph as long as it took in the seat of the backhoe. In fact, that is how the old 410 went to auction.

Yeah, that would probably be the best way to get it there if you don't have a big enough truck to tow 20,000 pounds. 15 mph is much better than wrecking everything and/or landing up in the hospital. Plus, I don't know that I would be towing 20,000 pounds much faster than 15 mph anyway.

Pintle hook on a class V hitch (I forget the rating but it's way up there)

The new 1 Ton duallys are rated in the 20-23K pound range. With a pickup and electric brakes? I have towed heavy before (not semi heavy but used to drive farm trucks with grain/cattle around.) but 20K+ on a pickup even with gooseneck/5th wheel hitches is A LOT.

There was a guy in the walmart parking lot the other morning. Crew cab, single rear wheel, long bed duramax...didn't see for sure but probably a 3500. It was hooked up to a 20+ foot gooseneck trailer. On the trailer was a large skid steer and a medium sized excavator. The front end of the truck looked like it was ready for liftoff and the rear end was almost on the ground. When he jumped in the truck to take off, the turbo had to spool and the engine sounded like it hit 2k RPM before the truck started moving. This was on flat ground.

A lot of blue smoke (not black, blue) erupted, so I'm guessing this wasn't his first time abusing the truck.

lukem said:
There was a guy in the walmart parking lot the other morning. Crew cab, single rear wheel, long bed duramax...didn't see for sure but probably a 3500. It was hooked up to a 20+ foot gooseneck trailer. On the trailer was a large skid steer and a medium sized excavator. The front end of the truck looked like it was ready for liftoff and the rear end was almost on the ground. When he jumped in the truck to take off, the turbo had to spool and the engine sounded like it hit 2k RPM before the truck started moving. This was on flat ground.

A lot of blue smoke (not black, blue) erupted, so I'm guessing this wasn't his first time abusing the truck.
I think a dually would have had trouble hauling that. must have been over 20000 lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.