Blaze king King issues need help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When you just flop the bypass over you shouldn't hear a metal sound, more of a thump, but when you push the bypass handle all the way past the cam over point and it locks in place you can sometimes hear a more metallic sound. Like a click. Don't worry about the sound. Worry more about the quality of the seal.

I gave that one some thought and maybe the sound they were hearing was the rod "catching" the plate and the vibrating sound that it would make while the rod cammed over a bypass plate that was not pressed firmly against a gasket.

I realize my description is probably clear as mud but I suppose if it was as out of adjustment as the op described it would sound very different from what we are familiar with.

I gave that one some thought and maybe the sound they were hearing was the rod "catching" the plate and the vibrating sound that it would make while the rod cammed over a bypass plate that was not pressed firmly against a gasket.

I realize my description is probably clear as mud but I suppose if it was as out of adjustment as the op described it would sound very different from what we are familiar with.

As long as the seal tests fine it can sound like a fart going off in there. Don't worry about the sound, worry about the seal.

I wouldn't be much help on this thread because I don't have a Cat Stove. I put it under my favorites and have looked forward to reading it every day. This thread has been like watching a "mystery" movie. It's got about as many mysteries to it as I've ever seen on here. Will the folks at Hearth.com figure out what's behind Blazekingking's problems? Will BlazeKingKing get his stove up and running like it's suppose to run? Stay tuned.

When it was closed all the way you could move the whole door with your hand after we tightened it up it is making a different sound and sealed much better

Reactions: tarzan
I wouldn't be much help on this thread because I don't have a Cat Stove. I put it under my favorites and have looked forward to reading it every day. This thread has been like watching a "mystery" movie. It's got about as many mysteries to it as I've ever seen on here. Will the folks at Hearth.com figure out what's behind Blazekingking's problems? Will BlazeKingKing get his stove up and running like it's suppose to run? Stay tuned.
So far they have been amazing help, it is warm hear today but I loaded my stove around 9pm last night and it is still active and haven't added any wood! We have never seen it run like this!!!

So far they have been amazing help, it is warm hear today but I loaded my stove around 9pm last night and it is still active and haven't added any wood! We have never seen it run like this!!!

Best post on this thread. Happy to hear that.

Reactions: BlazekingKING
When it was closed all the way you could move the whole door with your hand after we tightened it up it is making a different sound and sealed much better

Yeah, it's not often you can just stick a dollar bill in you bypass during the winter. If you realize it's not sounding like it should or it's starting to sound like it did before the adjustment this would be an indicator to check it.

it can sound like a fart going off in there.
Thanks, I'll be using that as an explanation for other 'flue noises' that I may inadvertently make. :oops:
This thread has been like watching a "mystery" movie. It's got about as many mysteries to it as I've ever seen on here.
It's fun, ain't it? >>
I loaded my stove around 9pm last night and it is still active and haven't added any wood! We have never seen it run like this!!!
Sounds like you are getting a handle on the situation. That's great! :) What is the cat doing, glowing nicely for a longer time into the burn? Did you replace the cat flame shield yet? If not, I wouldn't ram big flames up there once you close the bypass. But with a steel cat you shouldn't have to worry about it quite as much...

Thanks, I'll be using that as an explanation for other 'flue noises' that I may inadvertently make. :oops:
It's fun, ain't it? >>
Sounds like you are getting a handle on the situation. That's great! :) What is the cat doing, glowing nicely for a longer time into the burn? Did you replace the cat flame shield yet? If not, I wouldn't ram big flames up there once you close the bypass. But with a steel cat you shouldn't have to worry about it quite as much...
We cleaned the cat, we replaced the flame shield. It is glowing nicely most everytime i look at it

When you are hefting these Pine splits, do you have a feel yet for which ones are drier than others?

Unfortunately the op may only be able to imagine. Not many oaks in Montana.

They have elm. I grew up splitting and burning elm, and it burns longer than pine.

Splitting elm will also give you a lifelong appreciation for splitting normal wood, so I suggest that everyone try it. ;)

(protip: After you lose all your damn wedges and go inside to sulk, you may be pleased to know that you can actually win at a waiting game here. Wait until it's about 20 below zero and then go back out there with your maul.... the tables will be turned!)

If you have to burn some wet than you have to but your best bet would be to stack the wetter feeling ones to the side, so they can cure more. And just burn dryer wood.

Reactions: Woody Stover
They have elm. I grew up splitting and burning elm, and it burns longer than pine.

Splitting elm will also give you a lifelong appreciation for splitting normal wood, so I suggest that everyone try it. ;)

(protip: After you lose all your damn wedges and go inside to sulk, you may be pleased to know that you can actually win at a waiting game here. Wait until it's about 20 below zero and then go back out there with your maul.... the tables will be turned!)
Yes I definitely agree with that on our property we only have pines but some elms around.

True but many Oaks near me
I'm running two Ashford 30's, which are much, much smaller than your King, on a diet of approximately 80% or 90% oak. I can get more than 30 hours out of a single load, without even really trying to pack it crazy full. What really blows me away about these stoves, is that the newer wing on my house is holding 75F tonight, and I haven't loaded the stove since yesterday. I couldn't hold that temperature on 2 or 3 loads per day, with my Jotul Firelights.

the newer wing on my house is holding 75F tonight, and I haven't loaded the stove since yesterday. I couldn't hold that temperature on 2 or 3 loads per day, with my Jotul Firelights.
Ah, the wonders of convection! ==c

I'm running two Ashford 30's, which are much, much smaller than your King, on a diet of approximately 80% or 90% oak. I can get more than 30 hours out of a single load, without even really trying to pack it crazy full. What really blows me away about these stoves, is that the newer wing on my house is holding 75F tonight, and I haven't loaded the stove since yesterday. I couldn't hold that temperature on 2 or 3 loads per day, with my Jotul Firelights.
I have had the same experience with my ashford, my brother runs a cozy heat fire place and I can tell when we talk he doesn't believe my burn times, every time he comes over he says oh you're not burning today? Black box technology is a great thing!

I loaded my stove around 9:30pm and Almost 12 hours later still got plenty of wood when I went to check it!!!!!! I can't thank you all enough for a nice warm house and efficient working wood stove!!! I can't express how happy I am, i have never woken up and my house still be warm here and last night it froze hard again so I know it was cold! Than you so so so much!

DSC_0441.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I loaded my stove around 9:30pm and Almost 12 hours later still got plenty of wood when I went to check it!!!!!! I can't thank you all enough for a nice warm house and efficient working wood stove!!! I can't express how happy I am, i have never woken up and my house still be warm here and last night it froze hard again so I know it was cold! Than you so so so much! View attachment 174624

Hail to the King, baby. That thing's supposed to burn for a couple days on low.

Status
Not open for further replies.