Burning Paper Logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Which would you rather burn to save money?

• wood

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • paper

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shredded Paper Logs

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paperlog262

Feb 15, 2016
Hello!
I was wondering if their is a demand for an automated device that creates paper logs to be burned for heat in wood burning stoves/furnaces. The idea I have is that their is plenty of junk mail that gets sent to our houses. Instead of throwing it away my device would shred, compress, and manufacture a finished paper log. But I need to know if anyone would have an interest in this product. I am doing this for a class in high school and need to see the demand in order to move forward with designing.
Thank you!

Unfortunately what you call "paper" is actually about half wood and the rest "ash" which is mostly composed of clay and titanium dioxide. This doesn't burn and become ash. If there is catalyst these clays can plug them quick and in general I don't think there is market for this product. Old fashioned newspapers are far more wood content and burn much better with far less ash. Generally the problem is getting the paper dense enough and unless you soak the paper and then dry it like papermache, the logs are quite light.

Status
Not open for further replies.