Cooking thread, anyone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Picanha (pronounced pi-can-ya) is a cut of beef also known as coulotte steak, top sirloin cap steak, rib cap, rump cover, rump cap, and culotte steak.

I don’t see the point of cutting into steaks but one could.
Just watch a youtube on it. Thanks Will keep an eye out. I mostly get London Broil oyster cuts. (Top round cuts) but they never have that fat cap.

Hmm just got this “London Broil” top round with a big chuck of fat. Have it soaking in soy, tamari , hoisin, garlic, soya. Will grill later tonight.

61A94FC4-41C3-4B31-8F64-2A47A25381E3.jpeg

Reactions: EbS-P
Hmm just got this “London Broil” top round with a big chuck of fat. Have it soaking in soy, tamari , hoisin, garlic, soya. Will grill later tonight.

View attachment 298518
I’m going to start another thread on buy and aging meat.

Reactions: fbelec and bigealta
I have been trying a new to me potato variety, and it is going into the line up with the first five pound bag running empty.

Bintje. They are a hybrid variety developed in the Netherlands. Not quite as starchy as a yellow/ Yukon Gold, but almost. Noticeably more starch then the red skinned white potato. Very thin skin.

I have baked and fried and boiled and roasted at this point. I haven't tried mashing them. I like Russets for mashed potato, with loads of cream and butter and that is just the way it is.

My local grower is a pretty fair hand at all his root vegetables. I am through a 5# bag of Bintje without a single bad spot found. I will still 'need' russets for my holiday mashed potato, but Bintje is going into my regular lineup.

Reactions: PaulOinMA and EbS-P
My ten year old cooked a good portion of our dinner tonight. She took breakfast sausage and rolled it into links. I cooked that for her while she made biscuit dough. She rolled it out and added grated cheese to each circle she cut, then wrapped it around the sausage. She sealed the edges with an egg wash and brushed extra on top and baked them. Everybody enjoyed them. I made a vegetable sautee with a hodgepodge of vegetables from the garden: green pumpkin, Shishito peppers, okra, onion, and cherry tomatoes.

EAC841CE-5F35-4A47-B8FD-68130B614D92.jpegB79140F9-5C01-4410-A3D0-D6D51E114D3A.jpeg

@DuaeGuttae ...a round of applause to your daughter!! Well done, youngin'!
The entire meal looks yummy :)

My first smoked turkey! 275 ish for 3 hours. Used maple for smoke wood. (It was just a limb I had in the firewood stack). Very very good.

Dry brined for 24 hours then just black pepper, garlic onion powder celery seed and paprika run before the grill. Definitely in the top 3 holiday birds I’ve ever eaten.

2D965F1A-A11D-476F-AAFB-D1683E92F608.jpeg 8B032624-F06D-49F3-A43D-4B2819A0F77F.jpeg

We have a non-traditional meal. Two of our grown kids and their spouses were here, so we fed 7.

Instead of slaving over a bird and all the sides, we did a Frogmore Stew (shrimp boil). We picked out all the leftover goodies, then wadded the whole mess up and stuffed it in a trash bag. Zero dishes to wash except for the 80 quart boiler.
Thanksgiving .png

Reactions: ispinwool and EbS-P
that looks good anytime of the year. mostly summer
I paid a stupid price for Gulf shrimp, but it was worth it.

We have enough refugees in my part of northern NH to all chip in for a crawfish boil, and we'll probably do that in the coming season (February-June).

Reactions: fbelec
My mother in love enjoys BIG family meals... yesterday we served 47 people! LoL! (we were in the church hall). Tons of food...(and a gratuitous pic of my crew).

37215.jpeg IMG_20221124_140109511.jpg

We're still processing tomatoes so I made a batch of cream of tomato soup for the first time. It came out great, much better than store-bought. However, I did err slightly. I put in one jalapeno for a large pot of soup. Our jalapenos this year have been on the mild side so I put the whole one in. Should have tasted it first. It was the one out of 5 that was spicy hot. That gave the soup a kick, but not enough to ruin it, fortunately. We made some cheese croutons to soften the heat a bit. I will make this one again, but with more caution on the pepper.

Reactions: ispinwool
i never made anything sourdough but the wife and i love it. i'm in the mood to made bread.

Sourdough bagels! Yum! Have you tried sourdough dough noodles? Also yum!
I have very little luck with sourdough...but I keep trying because of the health benefits (and because
it's wonderful slathered in butter! LOL)

Reactions: fbelec
Treat your sourdough like a new baby if you’re having problems. Keep it warm, clean, well fed, .
LOL! Wonderful!
I've never heard it put quite like that :)
I can keep it alive but it's just not all that enthusiastic about its job. ;)

I did something entirely new to me this week. I brined a piece of brisket for making my own corned beef. I put it in the brine on Tuesday and cooked it up in the pressure cooker this afternoon. It turned out great.

The piece of brisket I had was actually probably over four years old from the last time that we bought a grass fed steer. It was so large that it was rather too much for me to figure out how to deal with, and I don’t own a smoker and don’t aspire to, so it has been sitting in our freezer while all the other meat got eaten first for the most part. Having recently brined a turkey for our Thanksgiving dinner, I realized that I could indeed manage to brine the brisket as long as I could get my husband to cut it in half for me.

I used this basic recipe for the brine with just a couple minor substitutions (like using ground mustard instead of seeds because I didn’t have whole seeds on hand).

I did use fresh juniper berries with some trepidation. I’ve eaten one plain before just to experience it, and I consider it horrible. I’m also very allergic to cedar pollen which is just starting to ramp up for its annual “cedar fever” season in our area. Nevertheless I approached a female juniper tree (the pollen-free sex) and took some berries and added them to the brine. (Juniper berries had also been recommended in the recipe that I used for turkey brine, but I wasn’t brave enough to use them last month.) Now I might just have to harvest a whole bunch and dry them out for use when it isn’t berry season, though I’m not sure how much brining I’d be doing then either.

I cooked the brisket for 60 minutes in the pressure cooker but let it set under pressure for another 30 to 40 minutes before I released the valve. Then I let it rest while I cooked the cabbage and potatoes in the broth left in the pot. The kids were so eager to eat the meat that they came to the table to eat before I had even finished cooking the vegetables. (They may also have been eager for the lemon poppyseed pound cake that the ten year old and I baked while the meat was cooking.)

05006D8A-0121-41ED-9821-C3266832B868.jpeg

I did something entirely new to me this week. I brined a piece of brisket for making my own corned beef. I put it in the brine on Tuesday and cooked it up in the pressure cooker this afternoon. It turned out great.

The piece of brisket I had was actually probably over four years old from the last time that we bought a grass fed steer. It was so large that it was rather too much for me to figure out how to deal with, and I don’t own a smoker and don’t aspire to, so it has been sitting in our freezer while all the other meat got eaten first for the most part. Having recently brined a turkey for our Thanksgiving dinner, I realized that I could indeed manage to brine the brisket as long as I could get my husband to cut it in half for me.

I used this basic recipe for the brine with just a couple minor substitutions (like using ground mustard instead of seeds because I didn’t have whole seeds on hand).

I did use fresh juniper berries with some trepidation. I’ve eaten one plain before just to experience it, and I consider it horrible. I’m also very allergic to cedar pollen which is just starting to ramp up for its annual “cedar fever” season in our area. Nevertheless I approached a female juniper tree (the pollen-free sex) and took some berries and added them to the brine. (Juniper berries had also been recommended in the recipe that I used for turkey brine, but I wasn’t brave enough to use them last month.) Now I might just have to harvest a whole bunch and dry them out for use when it isn’t berry season, though I’m not sure how much brining I’d be doing then either.

I cooked the brisket for 60 minutes in the pressure cooker but let it set under pressure for another 30 to 40 minutes before I released the valve. Then I let it rest while I cooked the cabbage and potatoes in the broth left in the pot. The kids were so eager to eat the meat that they came to the table to eat before I had even finished cooking the vegetables. (They may also have been eager for the lemon poppyseed pound cake that the ten year old and I baked while the meat was cooking.)

View attachment 304914
I want to make my own pastrami using a brisket. You might want to reconsider the smoker. I have found my kamado grill responsible the best improvement in our family’s cuisine in a long time. Sure it does the ribs and brisket yeah yeah yeah we know. It’s the other things like salmon and turkey and paella and finally finding a way I like eye round. Smoked to a rare/medium rare chilled and sliced thin for my version of a smoked Philly cheesesteak.

Anyway. I got a whole brisket in the fridge wet aging. You’ve inspired me to brine it.

7999C935-4334-4B12-8434-8482C6EF6D11.jpeg 75F0B545-64EE-4F77-B255-40D4D74B9EE6.jpeg

that's it i'm hungry

i haven't had a boiled dinner in 7 years. out of the 4 counting me i am the only one that will eat it.
a friend i see just about every weekend since high school his mother would make it. all tho i never had it from her i would have liked to try it. she used to take the brisket and put it in a bag with kosher salt and put it up on top of the fridge for a week. of course it was black. but was suppose to be out of this world

Making lots of batches of brownies lately. Will make them at least seven times in a month. Using a lot of eggs. Four each time.

Wednesday: Advent soup super at my wife's church. Thursday: for my wife to take on OBX vacation with her mom. This morning: I'll go to Turkey holiday dinner at my wife's previous church without her. Next Wednesday: probably go to the Advent soup supper at my wife's church without her.

Also made them on November 30th for the first soup supper. Will make on the 21st for the last Advent soup supper and the 31st for the monthly Friendship Supper at her previous church.

Reactions: ispinwool
I want to make my own pastrami using a brisket. You might want to reconsider the smoker. I have found my kamado grill responsible the best improvement in our family’s cuisine in a long time. Sure it does the ribs and brisket yeah yeah yeah we know. It’s the other things like salmon and turkey and paella and finally finding a way I like eye round. Smoked to a rare/medium rare chilled and sliced thin for my version of a smoked Philly cheesesteak.

Anyway. I got a whole brisket in the fridge wet aging. You’ve inspired me to brine it.

View attachment 304915 View attachment 304916
If you keep showing pictures like that, you just might make me reconsider (but not really seriously, I don’t think). Those look delicious. My twelve-year-old son is lobbying for me to use a smoker box on our gas grill but even that is not really on my radar screen.