Could it be the Control Board? Inconsistencies in Pellet Feed on Englander 25PDVC-55SHP10

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I still think the stove is not burning good the flames in the pic look like they are lazy and sooty. when you say you cleaned this stove did you pull the combustion blower and clean the chamber and fan blade? pull the impingment plate and clean the path down the back of the firewall? has the vent pipe been brushed and cleaned? from what i assume you run on low heat most of the time, that is the hardest thing on most stoves, run it on high every now and then. here is why i ask if it was getting more air through the stove it would burn the pellets quicker and you would have more control of the low burn settings. ESW 25PDV and 25PDVC have to stay clean or they burn erratically and your is as erratic as i have seen on here. they are one of the best candidates for the leaf blower cleaning because of the hidden passages in the stove.

I still think the stove is not burning good the flames in the pic look like they are lazy and sooty. when you say you cleaned this stove did you pull the combustion blower and clean the chamber and fan blade? pull the impingment plate and clean the path down the back of the firewall? has the vent pipe been brushed and cleaned? from what i assume you run on low heat most of the time, that is the hardest thing on most stoves, run it on high every now and then. here is why i ask if it was getting more air through the stove it would burn the pellets quicker and you would have more control of the low burn settings. ESW 25PDV and 25PDVC have to stay clean or they burn erratically and your is as erratic as i have seen on here. they are one of the best candidates for the leaf blower cleaning because of the hidden passages in the stove.
Everything got a solid cleaning at the beginning of the season, but the pipe outside could definitely use another run thru, I do it a few times each season. The combustion fan was taken apart at the beginning of the season & cleaned out. I usually only do that once a year. The big plate on the inside, I do once a month. I have a hose contraption that attaches to the vacuum to get down into the crevices of that.

I don't always run on low, but when it's burning so hot, I don't have a choice. Or if its like 40+ outside I will.

I'll definitely clean the pipe out & the plate today to give it a fresh restart. Fingers crossed.

I gave the stove & vent pipe a solid cleaning. Pipe was about what I thought it would be. When I took the back plate off, it wasn't as bad as I thought. I have this contraption to get into the tight spots to suck out ash. Plus I'm a female with smaller hands so I can pretty much feel inside any of the holes up until I touch another wall, so i know how much ash is in there to clean out.

Anyway... started the stove back up, been on for a few hours, same settings as all along & it's not heating up the house like it would. Flame would get very low & then shoot back up. So I adjusted the LFF to 2... so 2-4-1 & 1 & 3 atm. House is warming up again since that & flame is more consistent. Who knows. Still want to test the RPMs on what will be 5 auger motors when I get the 2 new ones later this week.

I gave the stove & vent pipe a solid cleaning. Pipe was about what I thought it would be. When I took the back plate off, it wasn't as bad as I thought. I have this contraption to get into the tight spots to suck out ash. Plus I'm a female with smaller hands so I can pretty much feel inside any of the holes up until I touch another wall, so i know how much ash is in there to clean out.

Anyway... started the stove back up, been on for a few hours, same settings as all along & it's not heating up the house like it would. Flame would get very low & then shoot back up. So I adjusted the LFF to 2... so 2-4-1 & 1 & 3 atm. House is warming up again since that & flame is more consistent. Who knows. Still want to test the RPMs on what will be 5 auger motors when I get the 2 new ones later this week.
20210103_152335.jpg

I seem to recall a thread here where someone bought "OEM" motors from Home Depot and they ended up being higher RPM motors. I would definitely check.

Eric

I seem to recall a thread here where someone bought "OEM" motors from Home Depot and they ended up being higher RPM motors. I would definitely check.

Eric
I definitely know the one I have on my bottom is currently too fast, and it's OEM from Home Depot. The auger turns 1 full cycle in approximately 40 seconds I believe I timed it out to be. After getting a 2nd "too fast" motor from Home Depot, I returned it. Now I'm looking at 2 After Markets with the potential of being too fast, and I just ordered 2 more OEM direct from ESW.

I dropped the LFF to 1 last night before bed, woke up this morning & the house was 82 degrees & hopper was below half in 9 hours time. The flame is no longer low, it's just as high as ever again.

Something to note...I only noticed it as startup as I don't hear the auger spin unless I'm REALLY listening. But it's more noticeable during startup... anyway, I heard the auger motor cycle for what seemed like an unreasonable amount of time which is why it caught my attention... like 10 seconds maybe? And then after that, it was very inconsistent & turning for like half a second when it did. It seemed to level off, and I know startup runs differently, but it caught my attention nonetheless.

Hello friends! I thought I would pop in & give an update on my stove for any future people that are in a similar situation & searching for answers. I hate when people have a problem & then we never hear the solution! Haha.

I finally had an opportunity to replace the top auger in my stove (again) with one that I ordered direct from England Stover Works. At this time, I also replaced the glass gasket that I had been putting off, but really didn't pertain to this issue. I am happy to report, my stove is now working MUCH better.

Right at the first start up, I realized that I probably need to adjust my feed because if this motor works as it should, a 1 is going to be too low to keep a flame. So I adjust it back to my stove's normal, which was "3-4-1" & I set my stove at "1 & 3" just as a test. It was burning very low & slow. Like practically just embers. But I could immediately see the difference in the amount of pellets it was pushing out... Like 3 or 4 each time they dropped instead of like 20~. After about an hour, it dawned on me that I had replaced the Control Board so whatever settings were "normal" for my stove probably do not apply anymore with a new brain operating it. So with that in mind, I told myself that I may need to adjust to a 4-4-1, but did not take that step. I bumped it to 2 & 4 because it was cold. I wanted to keep it low though so I had a base time to work with. After another hour, I was cold & just bumped it to 6 & 8.

The next day, I was able to actually time it out. With the stove at a 4 & 6 (still "3-4-1"), a hopper of pellets lasted 14 hours. Temps were in the upper 20's & the living room with the stove was 78 degrees & the thermostat in the kitchen read 68. This was perfect.

I know running a stove at 1 or 2 isn't the best for it, as it works the hardest at that setting. Knowing that, a 3 is kinda like my old 1 right now. Therefore, I am going to keep my "3-4-1" setting. If we have a cold snap & a 9 & 9 isn't enough, I can adjust to a "4-4-1". Also, I know it says to run the feed & blower at the same number (ie: 4 & 4, 6 & 6, etc), however 10 years ago my ex said to run the blower +2 from the feed so that's what I've always done (unless going above a 7 feed of course). If anyone can explain to me why I shouldn't do that, please do. Otherwise, I'm just gonna keep doing what I know I guess lol

So all in all, on my stove now.... brand new top auger motor from ESW, bottom auger motor is OEM purchased from Home Depot 2 seasons ago & runs TOO FAST, and new Control Board from Pellet Stove Parts 4 Less.

I have 2 spare auger motors from Pellet Stove Parts 4 Less that are also TOO fast (but will be fine in the lower auger position, or in a pinch if the top goes & I'm waiting on a replacement, I don't have to go 3-5 days without heat), a brand new spare auger OEM from ESW, and the stove's original 10 year old Control Board that had nothing wrong with it. I contemplated putting it back in the stove, but didn't. I can't return the new one anyway, and pulling wires all over again just makes me nervous lol

So.... that is my story. I've gone a couple days now & things are running smoothly again, thank heavens! Thank you EVERYONE who helped me with this journey!! This forum is heaven sent!

One thing you need to remember the bottom settings only apply to heat settings 1&2 once you go to 3+ it doesn’t use the bottom settings.

One thing you need to remember the bottom settings only apply to heat settings 1&2 once you go to 3+ it doesn’t use the bottom settings.

Interesting, I never knew that! Well it was WAY too fast & seems to be running smoothly now :) Thank you again for all of your help!