Crawlspace encapsulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Pics of where the dehumidifier is in my crawlspace:

20221001_224354321_iOS.jpg
20221001_224222727_iOS.jpg

Other side of crawlspace:

20221001_224235742_iOS.jpg

I am starting to understand why the unit has some bad reviews on amazon for not lasting that long if their units are doing the same thing as mine and cycling as much as mine does, it is no wonder they only last 3 years.
They are talked about as the premiere whole house /crawl space dehumidification manufacturer. I am considering an Oasis unit for my house

Mine is sealed and sprayfoamed. I have A cheap DH from lowes. It does fine. Get the 3 year extra warranty, they will only last a few years but then you get a new one. My space runs between 50-60%.

Santa Fe is sending a new humidity control board, will see if that fixes the issue. They gave me some things to try and it didn't work, still acting like it is on a timer and turning on for about 5 minutes then off for 5 minutes. Yesterday it turned on 142 times, way to many times.

Reactions: EbS-P
Getting quotes for mine. Will likely seal and insulate while all the ducts are ripped out. Not looking forward to it.

Just an update, the new humidity controller is doing the same thing as the one it replaced. Now that the humidity is dropping I just set it to power on during the day and shut off at night. Will take this up again in the spring, probably will install a digital hygrometer to turn it on and off and not worry about it anymore.

Incase you are curious about the manual hygrometer they use, it is dead simple but doesn't work right:

20221113_160711678_iOS.jpg

Reactions: EbS-P
I was talking to a friend that has been rehabbing his 250 year old farm house and his latest project was to use 2" thick pavers to place in his crawl space, over sand that was there. He then used mortar to seal the edges up against the foundation which consisted of granite block and field stone. Probably not at tight as plastic but he said he noticed the difference within a few days of completion. He had about 2 to 3 feet of head height.