Encore 2040 cat c overheat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I tightened door latch, which didn’t seem very loose but now tight as will go. Been goin good for probably 7-8 decent size fires. Haven’t had a lot of cold weather lately. Suppose to turn cold tomoro so plan to run it pretty hard consistently n hope for same results. It still goes to between 6-650 every time with damper closed and air all the way down but I’m ok with that if it don’t get any higher. Seems to be a little more under control. Do you get a peak around 600 or more every time you burn a decent load of wood. Like can you keep your stt around 450-500 for an entire burn or no?
Well not for entire burn same temp but can you keep it from going any higher than that or do these stoves just not quite have that much control

I tightened door latch, which didn’t seem very loose but now tight as will go. Been goin good for probably 7-8 decent size fires. Haven’t had a lot of cold weather lately. Suppose to turn cold tomoro so plan to run it pretty hard consistently n hope for same results. It still goes to between 6-650 every time with damper closed and air all the way down but I’m ok with that if it don’t get any higher. Seems to be a little more under control. Do you get a peak around 600 or more every time you burn a decent load of wood. Like can you keep your stt around 450-500 for an entire burn or no?
If I start it when the coal bed is real low I can keep it sub 500. It's been cold here so been letting it sit 600-650. But it heats my whole house so it usually runs hot. My dealer says this stove runs best between 500-650 so I think thays a good range. My living room with the stove running at those temps stays 70-73 usually. My temps will drop to about 300 on a reload then slowly creep back up to 600-650. Stay there for a while then start back down. Usually reload around 350-400 depending on the weather and if I'm starting to get cold

If I start it when the coal bed is real low I can keep it sub 500. It's been cold here so been letting it sit 600-650. But it heats my whole house so it usually runs hot. My dealer says this stove runs best between 500-650 so I think thays a good range. My living room with the stove running at those temps stays 70-73 usually. My temps will drop to about 300 on a reload then slowly creep back up to 600-650. Stay there for a while then start back down. Usually reload around 350-400 depending on the weather and if I'm starting to get cold
Nice well that’s how I’ve had it runnin lately so maybe I’ve figured out how to run it with my setup. Like I said I’m fine with 600-650 we have hvac but not usin it, lettin stove heat whole house too so im good with that if I can keep it runnin like this just was curious if others were able to keepin it lower

Nice well that’s how I’ve had it runnin lately so maybe I’ve figured out how to run it with my setup. Like I said I’m fine with 600-650 we have hvac but not usin it, lettin stove heat whole house too so im good with that if I can keep it runnin like this just was curious if others were able to keepin it lower
the first month I ran it I couldn't keep my house under 80 so this is major progress. I do get spike up to like 1600 on the cat here and there though. I attribute though to a piece of wet wood here and there. Always settles right down though

Reactions: Anthony09
I had my griddle and damper gasket replaced yesterday. from the factory the griddle gasket was pressed down to much allowing several air leaks. This has helped a lot with controlling the stove. I found this out while inspecting the inside of the stove with a flashlight, I could see light shining out from the griddle. The Damper gasket was also not sealing. Stove runs much better so far.

the first month I ran it I couldn't keep my house under 80 so this is major progress. I do get spike up to like 1600 on the cat here and there though. I attribute though to a piece of wet wood here and there. Always settles right
I had my griddle and damper gasket replaced yesterday. from the factory the griddle gasket was pressed down to much allowing several air leaks. This has helped a lot with controlling the stove. I found this out while inspecting the inside of the stove with a flashlight, I could see light shining out from the griddle. The Damper gasket was also not sealing. Stove runs much better so far.
Glad you found that I’ll have to check mine. How did you check damper gasket, with dollar bill? Or did they determine that

Nice. They replaced those under warranty I'm assuming

Glad you found that I’ll have to check mine. How did you check damper gasket, with dollar bill? Or did they determine that
theses griddles are not perfectly square, they have a slight curve up on either end also making it difficult to get a good seal. The Damper gasket I noticed looking down through the open griddle . I could see the gasket was not seated well, the repair tech agreed it was not correct And replaced.

I never used the probe it came with, just digital so I don't know how they compare. But I so highly recommend going digital. 5 min install and costs is under $100.

My process on a hot reload is this. Let the stove burn down to just coals. I rake them back. Load the stove. As much wood as I can fit. Then just close the damper and go. I ran the stove for a week straight before letting it go out to clean the ash.

On a cold startup I put 2 med splits on the bottom. Piece of fat wood and kindling on top. Light her up. Let all of that burn down to coals and toss 2 more med splits on. Close damper and it is usually hot enough for Cat to go. When the car gets to 1000 which I would say in middle range on the white dial I cut the air half way. Maybe 15 min later I drop it down more depending on temps in room. From there I pretty much operate it with the air all the way down. But if it feels cold I'll open it a little bit.
Curious about the way you rake the coals. manual says to push them to the back. I am assuming that means towards the Cat. When you say ‘Rake them back” does that mean towards the door?

Curious about the way you rake the coals. manual says to push them to the back. I am assuming that means towards the Cat. When you say ‘Rake them back” does that mean towards the door?
I just kind of push them towards the back of the stove towards the cat. I don't go right against the back wall where the air inlets are. Just to where that back cement starts

20221120_064000.jpg

I just kind of push them towards the back of the stove towards the cat. I don't go right against the back wall where the air inlets are. Just to where that back cement starts

View attachment 305232
Excellent, least im doing something right! Im going to Oder the digital probe today, do i use the probe that is already inserted in the stove and just remove the guage? If not could you give me a parts break down of what I need to order. What a great forum, glad I found it!

I'd be so screwed without this place.

I never had the factory one installed cause my stove sits in my fireplace a little. So I would assume you can put the new probe where the existing one was and just rig the old probe mount. Mine is just zip tied to my blower fan power cord to keep it in place. Took about 10 min to install.

You need the Auber

And the thermocouple. Doesn't matter what connector. I cut the ends and wired them right to the green 3 prong connector. 6 inch probe not 10.

I'd be so screwed without this place.

I never had the factory one installed cause my stove sits in my fireplace a little. So I would assume you can put the new probe where the existing one was and just rig the old probe mount. Mine is just zip tied to my blower fan power cord to keep it in place. Took about 10 min to install.

You need the Auber

And the thermocouple. Doesn't matter what connector. I cut the ends and wired them right to the green 3 prong connector. 6 inch probe not 10.
Exactly what i was looking for! Thank you.

Well I guess time to get installers out to check out stove. Sittin here right now with a stove I loaded just over half full. Cat was at 400 when loaded. Went good for bout two hrs. Now three hrs in sttat 700-50, cat got up to 1800. Air all the way down.

Well I guess time to get installers out to check out stove. Sittin here right now with a stove I loaded just over half full. Cat was at 400 when loaded. Went good for bout two hrs. Now three hrs in sttat 700-50, cat got up to 1800. Air all the way down.
That seems real hot for a half load. Was it a hot reload or cold?

Mine came wired, n yes you can bend bracket n zip tie new probe to it, I just took of refractory plate in stove to see how far original one set in stove n put new one the same n zip tied to bracket from old probe
Thanks for the Tip! If power goes out for extended period do these probes have a back up battery?

love to hear what they have to say, my cat still gets pretty hot with gaskets fixed, I have a feeling my splits are to small. I wont make this mistake next year.

love to hear what they have to say, my cat still gets pretty hot with gaskets fixed, I have a feeling my splits are to small. I wont make this mistake next year.
I had a couple times recently my cat got hot so changed my process a little. I load the stove and let the splits burn got 5-8 min depending on the load. Then I shut the damper. When cat hits 800 I shut the air down halfway. Then I go in increments until it's all the way down shut. Try snd get it shut by the time the cat hits 1000-1100. Seems to be working well. Let the splits off gas right away and keeps it more under control it seems. I also use big splits when I load up for the overnight burn. During the day I burn whatever since I'm home. Usually half loads

I had a couple times recently my cat got hot so changed my process a little. I load the stove and let the splits burn got 5-8 min depending on the load. Then I shut the damper. When cat hits 800 I shut the air down halfway. Then I go in increments until it's all the way down shut. Try snd get it shut by the time the cat hits 1000-1100. Seems to be working well. Let the splits off gas right away and keeps it more under control it seems. I also use big splits when I load up for the overnight burn. During the day I burn whatever since I'm home. Usually half loads
I think your right about the off gassing. I haven’t tried this because i get nervous about leaving the damper open very long on a hot load. I picture my stove going nuclear if I do! Funny how the manual is so far off from how this stove needs to be operated. The manual says close bypass immediately after loading.

I was doing that first but it kept going higher than I wanted. The cat temp. So I changed this and let it off gas. Wouldn't let it go too long or it will overfire. I've found 8 min in a good number. Then I gradually turn down. Haven't hade a spike above 1450 since I started doing this. Just slow rides up then settles around 1200 and sits there for a few hours then will come down with the load. I had an overnight last night that burned from 8:30 and I tossed a couple small splits on a pile of coals at 6:30 this morning. It was filled all the way to the griddle top. Large splits I would say 6 inches. That helps top. Large splits on the bottom smaller as you start to stuff it full. I find if I have smaller 4 inch splits it burns hot and fast

I also wait until my cat temps get down around 600. I try not to reload to far over 600 especially if I am stuffing the box. Seems to be easier to control that way