General truck talk

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

If you search older recalls there were plenty of recalls on hydraulic power steering systems as well. There is absolutely nothing inherently wrong with electric power assist steering.

I've been driving cars since 2006 with electric power steering. Never an issue. Just another data point.

I'll always take electric power steering over hydraulic. There's nothing worse than blowing a hose or seal in a traditional power steering system in -40 and pumping power steering fluid all over the place.

Reactions: SpaceBus
The difference between the two upon a failure is the underlying issue. Hydraulic can be steered in a failure. Electric is nearly impossible to steer for any woman or slightest of men. Try it sometime in your driveway.

There is no going back to hydraulic now so its a moot point. Happened to both a Ford and a GM in my family. Scares the Hell out of women drivers thats for sure.

If you search older recalls there were plenty of recalls on hydraulic power steering systems as well. There is absolutely nothing inherently wrong with electric power assist steering.

Suzukis are the worst vehicles on the road so fail. Glorified go-karts.

Suzukis are the worst vehicles on the road so fail. Glorified go-karts.
Judging by the recent gm truck recalls for brakes steering the seatbelts self combusting etc I am not sure suzukis are the worst vehicles on the road.

And there have been hundreds of recalls on hydraulic assist steering systems. Electric is actually far less complicated with far fewer failure points.

Reactions: SpaceBus and Ludlow
Judging by the recent gm truck recalls for brakes steering the seatbelts self combusting etc I am not sure suzukis are the worst vehicles on the road.

And there have been hundreds of recalls on hydraulic assist steering systems. Electric is actually far less complicated with far fewer failure points.

Hey slick.......:p. You added the second part after I liked your post. So officially I half-like your post.

Reactions: bholler
The difference between the two upon a failure is the underlying issue. Hydraulic can be steered in a failure. Electric is nearly impossible to steer for any woman or slightest of men. Try it sometime in your driveway.

There is no going back to hydraulic now so its a moot point. Happened to both a Ford and a GM in my family. Scares the Hell out of women drivers thats for sure.

It's way easier to steer any vehicle when moving vs when parked if the power steering fails, so not really a fair comparison. Many of the new electric power steering units are speed sensitive and actually provide less assist at highway speed vs slow speed for parking lot maneuvering. Our Colorado is this way and I like it, my F350 is almost too easy on the highway.

That’s pretty much like having a power steering pump belt break.

I'm 5'10" 160 lbs and I've driven many a vehicle with power steering failures. It's only difficult at a stop. The larger the wheel and tire package the harder it will be. On a truck it's more difficult than a compact hatchback, but once the vehicle is moving at all it becomes much easier.

New precision u joint was installed by my mechanic last spring. Probably less than 2,000 miles on it. What would cause this level of failure? Still waiting to hear back from the store I bought the u joint from and also my mechanic...

Photo is viewing the driver's side hub/axle joint from the front bumper, wheel turned all the way to the driver's side.

Attachments

• 117342465_712938842885131_4606368537319324533_n.jpg
    117342465_712938842885131_4606368537319324533_n.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 140
New precision u joint was installed by my mechanic last spring. Probably less than 2,000 miles on it. What would cause this level of failure? Still waiting to hear back from the store I bought the u joint from and also my mechanic...

Photo is viewing the driver's side hub/axle joint from the front bumper, wheel turned all the way to the driver's side.
It's part of a dodge drivelines. No need for any more info.

Sorry I had to lol

Reactions: johneh and SpaceBus
It's part of a dodge drivelines. No need for any more info.

Sorry I had to lol
The rear driveshaft U Joint was binding up right before this started, so maybe there is some truth to it!

The rear driveshaft U Joint was binding up right before this started, so maybe there is some truth to it!
I have had more trouble with dodge axles joints transmissions etc than any others. So I am just biased.

With the cap missing where the He double ll is the lock
Looks like install error

Looks like install error

Yup looks like the circlip wasn't installed all the way and the cap worked loose. Good time to put a Spicer joint there instead.

Yup looks like the circlip wasn't installed all the way and the cap worked loose. Good time to put a Spicer joint there instead.
Looks like install error

Thanks for the tips. I do regret not getting the Spicer, but the Precision had good reviews and many Dodge owners recommend them. Perhaps Precision quality has changed over the years. Either way, sounds like it is my Mechanic's problem.

Thanks for the tips. I do regret not getting the Spicer, but the Precision had good reviews and many Dodge owners recommend them. Perhaps Precision quality has changed over the years. Either way, sounds like it is my Mechanic's problem.
My guess is he put the retainer clip in but didn't make sure it actually locked in correctly. So yeah not a joint failure so dodge doesn't get the blame for this one. Lol

Forgot to post this pic as well. This viewing the u joint from the "back" side, wheel turned towards the passenger side of the truck. That's the brake caliper on the left for reference. Can't find where the u joint ear contacted the hub or whatever.

When my mechanic did the u-joints he also replaced the ball joints, hubs, steering components, etc. Pretty much a total maintenance overhaul. I think the only wear item that hasn't been replaced in the last year would be the rear wheel bearings, but they aren't showing any signs or symptoms of having issues.

Attachments

• DSCF0916.JPG
    DSCF0916.JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 127
My guess is he put the retainer clip in but didn't make sure it actually locked in correctly. So yeah not a joint failure so dodge doesn't get the blame for this one. Lol
Agreed. It's real easy to get one of the needle bearings out of place so that it prevents the cap from seating far enough in to install the circlip properly.
This can also cause a driveline vibration since the u joint is installed uncentered.
As a former mechanic I'd call that hack work.

Reactions: bholler
Agreed. It's real easy to get one of the needle bearings out of place so that it prevents the cap from seating far enough in to install the circlip properly.
This can also cause a driveline vibration since the u joint is installed uncentered.
As a former mechanic I'd call that hack work.
Agreed. Not saying I haven't done it but I am not a pro mechanic

Agreed. Not saying I haven't done it but I am not a pro mechanic
I've got a needle bearing out of place many times but never let it leave the shop that way (that I know of).

Thanks for the replies. My truck won't be seen until the 27th, so I've got some time before I talk to my mechanic. I wish I had the tools and space to do it myself at home.