Greenwood Owners Gather Rounds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

91220da

Nov 21, 2008
Pocono's Pennsylvania
Well even though Greenwood folded their technicians may have been worth something? Burning medium to large sized rounds that are truly seasoned makes a huge difference. Last year I was burning dry splits that vaporized and wet or green rounds that killed the btu output. So far my burning dry rounds has made a huge difference. I did play around with the aquastat and have the damper opening at about 170 and closing around 185. Nice clean burn with little smoke and red hot coals. (no need to worry about voiding the warranty, thanks for nothing Greenwood.) Anyway just thought I would post my findings, results. Burn on!

It is good to find that silver lining.

Have you made any other changes to the GW?

Such as gasketing the damper, draft induction fan, added a storage tank?

Hi Steve,
No major changes. Running an open system with a homemade expansion tank. I do have the heat retention kit installed as well as a balancing valve that keeps the return water above 140 degrees. I also have a Sentry battery backup that really takes the stress out of power failure/boil overs. One of the best things I added was a Redi Check remote smoker thermometer that allows me to monitor the output and return temps from the comfort of my recliner.

I have a couple of questions One is the battery back up kit where can I get one and it will pick up just as soon as the power goes out?? And how far does the remote thermometer reach?? My GW is about 100 ft away from the house in a steel building ? Thanks

Battery back up is a Sure-Fire brand Stove Sentry 550 watts model 512. I paid $416.77 through This Warm House in Mansfield PA. Simple, you plug in the sentry and then plug the Greenwood power cord into the Sentry. Switch over is instantaneous and flawless. I am running it off of a deep cycle marine battery from my boat. It works out great, the boiler excercises and charges my boat battery all winter then back in the boat for the summer. When the power goes out the sentry keeps the circulator and monitor controls going. The New Yorker and its circulators in the house quit but the GW just thinks that the New Yorker is up to temperature and goes into an idle state. Boil over can happen quickly when the circulator pump on the GW quits. The redi-check smoker thermometer probes are attached to the infeed and outfeed lines on the New Yorker boiler in my basement so they are only 20 feet away. I am getting true temp readings as they enter and exit the house. I have noticed about a 1 degree difference between the GW in the garage and the New Yorker in the basement. Taking into consideration the transmission underground of about 60' and the fact that the smoker thermometer probes are just taped to the copper pipes the numbers are very accurate.

Thanks gonna look into the sentry system asap. As with winter coming I know we are going to get power outages. The temp. set up may wait a little while, not as important as back up power system...

Status
Not open for further replies.