Homemade Pizza

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Moved comments from the main forum and changed the name of the thread to Homemade Pizza.

Reactions: EbS-P
Ok Guys, This is what i'm roughly shooting for in the Jotul F400. With a little more char and leoparding on bottom. This one came out of a home oven.

pizza 3 IMG_4832.jpg pizza 2 IMG_4831.jpg

The pizza I made in our F400 burned enough that we had to scrape it down. The stone got too hot and I was not on top of how quickly it would burn the bottom. This is because I put it directly on the coal bed so that the stone was hot, while the firebox was probably a couple hundred degrees cooler. The stove is gone now, but if I did it again I would support the stone on a pair of bricks so that it was not in direct contact with the coals.

Ok Guys, This is what i'm roughly shooting for in the Jotul F400. With a little more char and leoparding on bottom. This one came out of a home oven.

View attachment 283543 View attachment 283547
That's darn nice for the oven. How hot was the stone? Did you do a two-stage load with sauce first, then add toppings and back under the broiler?

Yes, Pre cooked with sauce only (and a bit of pecorino). I'm using a heavy aluminum pan on bottom rack. The stone doesn't work as well for me. (Wanting to upgrade to plate steel, just need to cut some i have and de rust and season it).

Then, i think, this was the first try at pre cook on bottom rack, then pull out, move pan to top rack on Hi Broil. Add cheese and toppings and finish under Broiler. Probably pulled it 30 seconds early.

Last edited:
This is the pan, And This pizza is is 2 stage & finished under broiler (3 minutes under broiler).

pizza pan IMG_4829.jpg Pizza 4 IMG_4873.jpg

Reactions: begreen
Time to revisit the pizza thread. I really really wanted to build my own brick oven. Time being the deciding factor and the fact it would be one story below the kitchen I went a different direction. Happy early 40th birthday and Father’s Day. Thanks honey!

I decided on the Big Joe series 1 Kamado Joe charcoal grill. (Ooni price have gone way up but what hasn’t) It may not be a pizza oven but I bet it will get used more than a dedicated pizza oven. I don’t have any accessories yet. They sell many. Even sell an attachment that turns it into the classic pizza oven.

First fire later tonight. I will make due with whatever pizza stone I can find. 12” one seems tiny in there. Target temp is 650 tonight.

Evan

F0A0C810-4AE8-4C78-8EE4-24C218060B36.jpeg

Reactions: vinny11950
Very cool. I got the Ooni and am still learning, but making progress. Getting the crust right is a big challenge. Bigealta is still ahead of me there.

Cooked 8 pizzas. Cooked at about 650 dome temp. 500 stone temp. Didn’t get much above that decided put second stone directly on heat deflector. That got the bottom done faster but topping load really affects the cooking time of the top.

Didn’t use enough charcoal. Need to get some really big lump to mix in with the smaller pieces in my lump bag. Guess I could sort it. Sounds messy. Didn’t burn a single pizza though:)

I’ll get it figured out in another time or two. I just kinda make everything up as I go. My dough recipe was 67% hydration. 1/3 whole wheat. Made at about 11 this morning. I just can’t seem to plan ahead to make the fermented dough. It was good. A bit puffier and more tender than I really like. But my mom and dad came over and they really prefer it that way.

I think this will workout really well for us. I can’t wait to get another crack at it. Maybe some ribs tomorrow?

2F9D8DA0-68D5-459A-B644-EB2A24F801CE.jpeg 322A9D0B-974F-4A33-96D9-E1F28F149173.jpeg

I found that the problem with grill cooking pizza is that as soon as the lid is lifted, most of the heat escapes so the stone is hot, but the air is not. Does the Kamodo dome do a better job? A friend is looking to modify his Weber gas grill with a replacement top that will have a wide slot opening in the front so that the lid does not need to be lifted.

I found that the problem with grill cooking pizza is that as soon as the lid is lifted, most of the heat escapes so the stone is hot, but the air is not. Does the Kamodo dome do a better job? A friend is looking to modify his Weber gas grill with a replacement top that will have a wide slot opening in the front so that the lid does not need to be lifted.
I think you could cook one ok. Maybe two. But you are right you loose so much heat every time you open. I will probably end up with one of these if I keep cooking near double digit pizzas. You close the top vent completely and it vents out the front.

Cool, that should help.

Nice, got to get my grill pizza game on. It's not easy, but sometimes it's just incredible. Especially when done right on the grill, no stone or steel.
This guy will dial in your dough. 3rd gen. Italian pizza guy.
The key is the poolish and how you handle the dough.

I see i already posted this vid last year. oh well it's still the go to for me when i need a refresh on the small details. There is a lot going on in it, over time you realize you missed a small step that's important to get really good.

Last edited:
Nice, got to get my grill pizza game on. It's not easy, but sometimes it's just incredible. Especially when done right on the grill, no stone or steel.

I see i already posted this vid last year. oh well it's still the go to for me when i need a refresh on the small details. There is a lot going on in it, over time you realize you missed a small step that's important to get really good.

Thanks for the repost it will save me going back a couple pages. I need to plan ahead 2-3 days. Maybe next week I can pull it off.

I know that precise measurement is important. His recipe makes too much for us. Can the dough balls be frozen without detriment? Have you converted the Metric measurements over to English measurements?

I know that precise measurement is important. His recipe makes too much for us. Can the dough balls be frozen without detriment? Have you converted the Metric measurements over to English measurements?
Do yourself a huge favor and get a scale. i use the "pronto" kitchen scale. about $10, and just keep it metric. Fast easy and precise. Cups don't work for measuring flour.

Here it is for 1 dough ball. And yes you can freeze.

And here is how to freeze.

And here is how to freeze.

Freezing makes a the dough different, not bad at all, just a bit different. We will probably make a 15 or 25# batch soon. It makes pizza night faster and cleaner.

This is how Vito does it in the Grill.

Freezing makes a the dough different, not bad at all, just a bit different. We will probably make a 15 or 25# batch soon. It makes pizza night faster and cleaner.
I agree but also don't think i timed my freezing process like Vito did. The details and timing do make all the difference with all of the pizza making, cooking, freezing, cold fermentation, dough handling, resting, etc. processes.

All great information, thanks bigealta. I will try the single out, though I will skip the dunk in the pool. My wife doesn't like metric, but we have a good digital scale that can be set for grams. Wish the whole country would switch over to metric it's much less complicated.

All great information, thanks bigealta. I will try the single out, though I will skip the dunk in the pool. My wife doesn't like metric, but we have a good digital scale that can be set for grams. Wish the whole country would switch over to metric it's much less complicated.
Yeah i fought the metric too at first, but in the kitchen with many recipes already in grams it's So Much easier. And also when doing 70% or 75% or any % hydration calculations and adjustments to mixes it's simple. Not so with cups and ounces.

Converting from metric to English when using a scale that does metric, well that's just crazy. Ha but i have a wife too, She will only drive 1 way to the train station, no matter what. Even though there are about 5 ways to go. She sticks with the 1st way she learned, and that's pretty true for everything.

Well, I'm hoping to start the metric poolish today for pizza tomorrow. (Do I make it 36cm?)
Now I have to decide what flour. From what I can see, flour does not have a "W" rating here. We can get 00 flour, but that is more about the fineness of the grind and not about the W factor. I found this explanation, but that doesn't help with locally available flours. Do we go by gluten or protein content? I found this on the interwebs:
Weak less than 180 W (8-9% protein)
Medium between 180-280 W (10-11%)
Strong Higher than 280 W up to 400 (more than 11%)

King Arthur 00 flour has 3gms protein for 30gm portion. Does that make it a 10% gluten?

Last edited: