Honest question - how would you stop runaway Jotul?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get the stove up to temp (700 F at the top) and search with your IR for the hottest spot in the usually accessible front.

Grisu beat me to it. With everyone quoting temps of 400, 500, 700, etc... do keep in mind this guy is running an insert. He's probably quoting a temperature on the front of the surround, whereas those quoting 700, 800, 900 are talking stove top temps.

Grisu beat me to it. With everyone quoting temps of 400, 500, 700, etc... do keep in mind this guy is running an insert. He's probably quoting a temperature on the front of the surround, whereas those quoting 700, 800, 900 are talking stove top temps.

Gotcha! >> It looks like he wants to measure the stove top and the flue collar and only gets 450 there. If that is the actual temp at those spots than he is way too low. If he does not really hit it because the opening is so tight it pretty much means he has no clue about the stove temp. In any case, trying to snuff the fire out when the secondaries are starting to fire just does not seem right. Mine sometimes go like little gas burners and I don't have a runaway stove (although would often like to have them a little less crazy).

Reactions: Ashful
Not sure if this is relevant. The Jotul in question is not catalytic.

Status
Not open for further replies.