How to tell a good friend "no" Man code issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, is it that the other guy thinks that what's yours is to share, but what's his is his alone? Cause if that's the case, that's not cool.

If he's also a woodburner maybe he visits this site and will see this? Problem solved without even saying a word to him. Friend all gone.

1) You found the wood
2) Invited friend to come get wood
3) Friend fills his truck with wood
4) Friend complains you didn't deliver wood in your bigger truck.

Whats wrong with this picture?

Are you mostly just mad that he assumed you were going to use your BIL's truck to get him wood? If that's the case, I would just let it go. getting pissed about things like that can happen, but is it really important?

Are you mad that he bought the trailer, so now you feel bad that you didn't let him use your BIL's truck? The way I see it, that's good, because it means he's relying on his own to get himself a piece of equipment he needs, because you informed him that the truck really isn't a "given" for your own use, never mine his as well.

It sounds likely to me that all this isn't about a single event at all, but maybe you guys have some history and you are fed up about a few different facets of your interaction. As far as this single event, I think it's best to just move on, but I may be misunderstanding where the issue comes into play.

I'd be more concerned about messing up your BIL's truck. Do what you can to get your own equipment. You don't want to ruin the good relationship with him. just my 2 cents

ckarotka said:
I have a very good friend that is also a woodburner. I thought it woud be nice to have a partner to go cut with and share some larger scores with. I found one last week and met there to cut. I borrowed my brother-in-laws' dump and dump trailer. Her has a small tacoma. He likes the really big stuff and I don't. So I thought perfect I take what I want and so does he and everyone is happy.

Preface: I borrow the truck because I sold mine for something more economical, in return I help my BIL with his jobs and the building of his house and he provides the truck when he can and eats the gas (within reason), fair I think?

While cutting my friend is under the assumption since I have this big truck and trailer that I will haul his portion to his house.
It's not my truck! Plus I want to get as much as I can while I have it. He will give it to me for a day or half a day while he doesn't need it. I then have to return it to him and clean it out which takes more time for me. I did call my BIL for permission and took the load to his house this time. I did say something to him about "it's not my truck thing" and he whined a bit and got a-little bothered but the day ended with not hard feelings.

The next day he called to ask me about what I thought about this small trailer for his truck, capacity, safety, value. He bought it and now I feel as though he thinks I was being a D*** and he had to buy it to get wood. At the same time he gets wood delivered from tree services and never offers any up.

The next score I have lined up I'm not mentioning it to my friend and will go it alone, Is that bad or wrong on some man code level??

I'm not exactly sure what the problem is here.

Get a truck.

What's the "Man Code"? I've never read that one. Where can I get a copy? Maybe you and your friend should read it together. Rick

fossil said:
What's the "Man Code"? I've never read that one. Where can I get a copy? Maybe you and your friend should read it together. Rick

Yes, I don't know about a man code but I think
somebody has misplaced their man card.

ckarotka said:
I can't complain about the BIL he's really good to me and I only
want to respect his tools for him since that's how he makes his money.
With out that truck when he needs it (if I were to break it or MVA) he would
loose a lot more than just gas money.

Example. We both did construction. He still does and owns a Co. I don't anymore
and sold my tools to him. I needed a roof he supplied all tools and lined
up the job material dumpster etc. I do what I can for him when I can.

I have the answer: Be firewood buddys with your BIL

Eh?

Wet1 said:
Bigg_Redd said:
I'm not exactly sure what the problem is here.

Get a truck.
LOL, that was kind of my take on it as well.

Ok, if it was that easy it would be done. Some of us don't have the means for all the fancy toys right now. I down sized from my truck to benifit my family. I choose to give more to my kids than myself, so if that means that I have to tuck my tail between my legs and ask for a truck once in a while I will. I posted this thread to simply voice and opinion, and hope that there were others out there who had a similar thing happen and could relate.

I forget who said it but you were right, when I comes to my family there is no code. I have to provide and I have to make the most of the time and equipment I have access to.

That's understandable. OTOH, I'm not sure you're seeing the forest through the trees... You have to tuck your tail between your legs and ask for the truck regardless, and you have to work the use of the truck off with your BIL regardless if you ran a load over to you buddy's place or not, so it's not like it would be any sweat off your back. Would it have really been a big deal to run a load over to your partners place after you worked together on this project since you knew he didn't have an efficient means of moving the wood either? I'm sure he would have covered the gas. Would your BIL really have cared if you made an extra run if he covered the gas, since your two were working together on this project? Really? Like I said, you worked of the use of the truck and this guy was working with you. I'd be willing to bet your BIL wouldn't have cared or even known for that matter. In fact I'd guess your buddy would have covered more than his fair share of the gas, and probably threw some in for your BIL as well, and I'm sure that wouldn't have bothered your BIL!

True friends help each other out whenever possible. I have a buddy I occasionally work with. I have a lot of equipment, or access to equipment (which often gets paid back in the form of favors as well) that my buddy doesn't have, and vice versa. We help each other out all the time when it comes to this stuff. Sometimes I have to cash in a favor to help him out and he does the same for me. This to me is a true friendship and it's mutually beneficial for both of us. I'm not saying I'm with your buddy on this one, but I can't say I agree with you on this one either. Now that your buddy has not only a truck, but a trailer as well (and you have neither), I wonder how willing he'll be to haul something for you in the future when you don't have your BIL's truck? If I were him, I know I'd think twice about it.

Wet1 said:
That's understandable. OTOH, I'm not sure you're seeing the forest through the trees... You have to tuck your tail between your legs and ask for the truck regardless, and you have to work the use of the truck off with your BIL regardless if you ran a load over to you buddy's place or not, so it's not like it would be any sweat off your back. Would it have really been a big deal to run a load over to your partners place after you worked together on this project since you knew he didn't have an efficient means of moving the wood either? I'm sure he would have covered the gas. Would your BIL really have cared if you made an extra run if he covered the gas, since your two were working together on this project? Really? Like I said, you worked of the use of the truck and this guy was working with you. I'd be willing to bet your BIL wouldn't have cared or even known for that matter. In fact I'd guess your buddy would have covered more than his fair share of the gas, and probably threw some in for your BIL as well, and I'm sure that wouldn't have bothered your BIL!

True friends help each other out whenever possible. I have a buddy I occasionally work with. I have a lot of equipment, or access to equipment (which often gets paid back in the form of favors as well) that my buddy doesn't have, and vice versa. We help each other out all the time when it comes to this stuff. Sometimes I have to cash in a favor to help him out and he does the same for me. This to me is a true friendship and it's mutually beneficial for both of us. I'm not saying I'm with your buddy on this one, but I can't say I agree with you on this one either. Now that your buddy has not only a truck, but a trailer as well (and you have neither), I wonder how willing he'll be to haul something for you in the future when you don't have your BIL's truck? If I were him, I know I'd think twice about it.

Thank you for your response,

I was a d***. I realize that now. That was the reason I posted here to get non-biased opinions. My wife would of course side with and her brother making sure I don't abuse the deal. I don't for see any problems with my buddy we have talked it out and I apologized for being so difficult. Things are tough and I sometimes get tunnel vision at the bigger picture.

Thank you all I hope I didn't make you guys think too low of me, I think it's time to put this to bed and move on. And if the moderators want to change my screen name to Cheap Bas**** I'm ok with that.

ckarotka said:
Wet1 said:

I was a d***. I realize that now. That was the reason I posted here to get non-biased opinions. My wife would of course side with and her brother making sure I don't abuse the deal. I don't for see any problems with my buddy we have talked it out and I apologized for being so difficult. Things are tough and I sometimes get tunnel vision at the bigger picture.

Thank you all I hope I didn't make you guys think too low of me, I think it's time to put this to bed and move on. And if the moderators want to change my screen name to Cheap Bas**** I'm ok with that.

NO you weren't a d**k. It wasn't your truck. You were clear that it wasn't yours and the additional miles and potential wear putting on the truck wasn't yours to decide. HE HAD A TRUCK TO USE. All he had to do was make a few extra trips. Suck it up! You even stated that when you felt it wasn't appropriate to use someone elses vehicle in a way that it wasn't agreed upon your friend whined about it. HE should have shut his hole, said he understands, and thanked you for finding another great wood scrounge.

The person above stated 'True friends help each other out whenever possible.' Fine. Where was he when you were busting your ass putting in your service time with your brother in-law? Also, a 'true friend' understands when a person can't lend out other people's property.

Seriously, this is all a non-issue and should have ended with you telling your buddy to quit his b!tching and the truck isn't yours to do with as you please. If he didn't understand that is his problem to deal with. You are just trying to make ends meet, you don't need a buddy making you feel like crap because you didn't help him enough (and you did help him as you have stated previously that you have found all the scrounge wood to date which allows him to drastically reduce his wood costs)

In the end you were just being respectful to the deal you had in place.

ckarotka said:
My wife would of course side with

This is likely the reason the wise one came down from the mountain with the code in the first place.

Seriously, wet1 has this spot on. Give what you can afford to give without condition and you will receive back many times over.

BrowningBAR said:
ckarotka said:
Wet1 said:

NO you weren't a d**k. It wasn't your truck. You were clear that it wasn't yours and the additional miles and potential wear putting on the truck wasn't yours to decide. HE HAD A TRUCK TO USE. All he had to do was make a few extra trips. Suck it up! You even stated that when you felt it wasn't appropriate to use someone elses vehicle in a way that it wasn't agreed upon your friend whined about it. HE should have shut his hole, said he understands, and thanked you for finding another great wood scrounge.

The person above stated 'True friends help each other out whenever possible.' Fine. Where was he when you were busting your ass putting in your service time with your brother in-law? Also, a 'true friend' understands when a person can't lend out other people's property.

Seriously, this is all a non-issue and should have ended with you telling your buddy to quit his b!tching and the truck isn't yours to do with as you please. If he didn't understand that is his problem to deal with. You are just trying to make ends meet, you don't need a buddy making you feel like crap because you didn't help him enough (and you did help him as you have stated previously that you have found all the scrounge wood to date which allows him to drastically reduce his wood costs)

In the end you were just being respectful to the deal you had in place.

+1

If I was the loaner of the truck and found out it was used for hauling other peoples stuff (with out me knowing about it beforehand)-
that's the last time I'd be loaning it out.

I vote to close this thread.

ckarotka said:
...And if the moderators want to change my screen name to Cheap Bas**** I'm ok with that.

Changing other peoples' screen names is not within a moderators' capability. Even if it were, I'd be busy renaming other members, not you. ;-P Rick

burntime said:
Thrash44047 said:
WOW not much of a buddy team if ya ask me. My buds wouldn't expect this from me and if I said hey I can its the BILs they would back off. Seems like more beer bonding for you two is defiantly in order. Be glad you have a decent BIL, mine is a douche, wouldn't piss down his .... nevermind i was off on a tangent.

Tell us how you really feal :lol:
We must be related by marriage. I think we have the same BIL! :lol:

fossil said:
Even if it were, I'd be busy renaming other members, not you. ;-P Rick

Hey, leave me out of this. %-P

For the record: I don't lend out or volunteer borrowed stuff. Its that simple. If someone did that to me - It would be the last time they ever got to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.