Jotul Combifire 4 / Finding a Certified Installer in WI

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

belza

Feb 19, 2017
Stevens Point, WI
Hi everyone. My first post! I am buying a home with an old wood stove (image here) that might not be up to code. I want to change it for aesthetic and safety reasons, and I've been trolling the forums for information. I was interested in European-style stoves like the Rais, Yotul F 370, or Hearthstone Bari. But for budgetary reasons, I'm now looking at a used Jotul Combifire 4. Here's one for $300 on Craigslist. I already sent the seller questions about the year, manual, door hinges, seal, roll bar, interior bricks, cracks, and to make sure it's not a Taiwanese copy (all tips from this forum.) Still waiting to hear back. This would be for a 2000 square foot tri-level home with a separate furnace for each floor.

Since this is my first rodeo, I am not comfortable doing the installation myself. Is anyone aware of a certified (or very qualified) wood stove installer in or around Stevens Point, WI who would work with an old model Jotul? Most stores near us will only install their own models for warranty purposes. And after installation and passing a local Fire Dept. inspection, do you think I will have issues getting affordable homeowner's insurance with an older model Jotul? Is anyone familiar with any weird Wisconsin codes I should know about? Is getting one of these models just a really bad idea for a reason I'm overlooking?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:
I think I found a good chimney sweep for the installation. Does anyone have any experience moving one of these units? Any tips would be much appreciated.

The clearance requirements on the Jotul Combifire 4? I'm not sure yet, since the owners do not have the manual. It seems like every other thread about the Combifire 4 involves someone looking for a manual. It's not one of the ones archived on the Jotul website. I'd love to get my hands on one.

rwhite, not sure if this helps, but the smaller and larger Combifire models do have manuals online. The clearance requirements are as follows:

Jotul Combifire 1b (smaller model)
34" - back of unit to wall (30" if ported out of the top)
36" - side of unit to wall
22.5" - chimney connector to wall (if ported out the back)

Jotul Combifire 6b (larger model)
35" - back of unit to wall (29" if ported out of the top)
28.5" - side of unit to wall
25.5" - chimney connector to wall (if ported out the back)

Floor Protector
8" - either side
16" - front
2" - behind chimney connector
42" - total width (35.5" for smaller 1b unit)
47.5" - total length (69.5" for smaller 1b unit)

Current floor protection
47" x 47" cement board butting up to wall
Will add stainless steel, slate, or some noncumbustible hearth pad for ember protection
No backer at present

rwhite, not sure if this helps, but the smaller and larger Combifire models do have manuals online. The clearance requirements are as follows:

Jotul Combifire 1b (smaller model)
34" - back of unit to wall (30" if ported out of the top)
36" - side of unit to wall
22.5" - chimney connector to wall (if ported out the back)

Jotul Combifire 6b (larger model)
35" - back of unit to wall (29" if ported out of the top)
28.5" - side of unit to wall
25.5" - chimney connector to wall (if ported out the back)

Floor Protector
8" - either side
16" - front
2" - behind chimney connector
42" - total width (35.5" for smaller 1b unit)
47.5" - total length (69.5" for smaller 1b unit)

Current floor protection
47" x 47" cement board butting up to wall
Will add stainless steel, slate, or some noncumbustible hearth pad for ember protection
No backer at present

Probably going to need the manual to be sure and to satisfy you insurance company or inspector. But if my math is correct you need about 34" off the back, 16" off the front + the depth of the stove so I'm guessing the hearth board will be in the 69-70" range. Looks like there's about 40" of hearth now so you'd need to come out another 30" or so. Granted it's all a estimate without the manual but it still seems like a tight fit.

Thanks for your advice. A call to Jotul technical support paid off. Here's the fabled manual! I'll discuss my options with the chimney sweep/contractor this week. Is there a general rule of thumb for reducing the clearance requirements by adding a back plate?

Attachments

• 4B.pdf
    275.9 KB · Views: 301
Excellent. Thanks for uploading a copy. I've added it to the Jotul wiki.

Any advice on transporting an old Jotul? I'll be buying this Jotul Combifire 4 from 1977 and driving it two hours back. Owners said the firebrick is solid, but they can see some cracks. For that reason, they recommend transporting it standing up. I have a big wagon and a smaller SUV. I could easily lay it down in either, tie it down, support the sides, and pack the firebox so nothing moves. Or remove the firebrick entirely? Or pony up the extra $150 to rent a van? I've never seen one of these in person, so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Any advice on transporting an old Jotul? I'll be buying this Jotul Combifire 4 from 1977 and driving it two hours back. Owners said the firebrick is solid, but they can see some cracks. For that reason, they recommend transporting it standing up. I have a big wagon and a smaller SUV. I could easily lay it down in either, tie it down, support the sides, and pack the firebox so nothing moves. Or remove the firebrick entirely? Or pony up the extra $150 to rent a van? I've never seen one of these in person, so any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Anything special about the brick? I always take it out and put it in a box before I try and lift the stove. Beyond that I'd just lay it down and strap it good so it doesn't fly through the back seat when you stop.

That's reassuring. Thanks for the tips. The Jotul 4 firebrick looks like it forms sort of an inner shell around the back. The owner thought it wouldn't come out easily -- as if it were attached at the top. Maybe it's just buildup. Either way, removing it for transport would make it easier to hoist and secure. Other thought was bringing a big beach ball (seriously) or something inflatable to fill up inside before locking the door.

Has anyone had any luck removing and reinstalling the original firebrick in this model? Very much a newbie here. Thank you.

The brick is cast and custom to the stove model I believe. Treat them nice and gently. They may be hard to replace.

Thanks for everyone's advice. The Combifire and the firebrick made it back in one piece. It looks great. Won't be installing until May, though, so I'll probably just wire brush it, paint it with Stove Bright, and store it until I'm ready. Will be back with pictures and -- I'm sure -- more questions then.