Jotul Combifire #4 rust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vermontyurt

Sep 10, 2016
Lunenburg Vermont
Hello All,

Just purchased a 1980's vintage Combifire #4. It has been sitting for many years without being used. There is rust on all unpainted areas inside the fire chamber and on the underside of the unit. I don't believe this unit has ever been fired!

I was thinking of taking a metal brush to everything and then apply a mixture of linseed oil/mineral oil to prevent further rust.

Any thoughts on other options?

Wire brush it down, a wire brush on a drill helps. Then wipe it down with alcohol and paint with a good stove paint like Forest Product's Stove Brite paint. Be sure to wear a mask when wire brushing and paint in a very well ventilated area. The fumes from the Stove Brite paint will rot brain cells.

Wire brush it down, a wire brush on a drill helps. Then wipe it down with alcohol and paint with a good stove paint like Forest Product's Stove Brite paint. Be sure to wear a mask when wire brushing and paint in a very well ventilated area. The fumes from the Stove Brite paint will rot brain cells.
Thank you!

I was thinking more of the underside and exterior to halt the rust. The interior of the stove would be fine with a spray of vegetable oil or just a wire brushing.

Danger, Danger Will Robinson!

Reactions: Lake Girl
Vermontyurt, I think it is on www.jotul.us under old manuals. The name is the tricky part. It is listed under combifire 1a.

That manual is for the Combifire 1A.
Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 5.27.35 PM.png

It's better to go by the clearances listed on the UL tag on the back of the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.