Jotul F3CB getting too hot.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FiyahBurnah

Dec 22, 2014
Vermont
So I made a cold air drop this weekend between the basement and my 1st floor. Two vents connected by an inline duct fan. Both vents can be closed.

I am only adding that data because this weekend the jotul is getting really hot. Like, it almost got to 700 hot before I could get to it and open the door all the way to let it cool (air was already shut down 100%).

I've been experimenting with smaller splits and that along with the air drop maybe is causing this? I shut off the drop fan to see if that helps.

How hot is 'too hot' (manual seems to just say 'glowing' is too hot though maybe I missed it) and I'm now thinking perhaps I need a damper on it?

Thanks for feedback.

Gratuitous thank you pic for looking at thread:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424039083.663303.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So I made a cold air drop this weekend between the basement and my 1st floor. Two vents connected by an inline duct fan. Both vents can be closed.

This sounds interesting... I assume you are heating from the basement? Perhaps some pics??? Please.... :)

Smaller splits + colder outdoor temps + strong wind will do it. Go back to the larger splits and try burning down the coal bed further before reloading.

My F3 in the basement ran from 650 to 700 all the time on the 30+ foot flue. Sometimes I was afraid that flue was going to suck a split up the liner. I put a key damper on the pipe.

Thanks. What do you run it at now?

It is a plant stand now. When I quit keeping my office down there I put a pellet stove on the flue so I can turn it on and off when I need to do something there now.

It hung out around 600 with the primary air at 1/4.

Status
Not open for further replies.