Newbie question about stacking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RustableCoot

Aug 9, 2018
NC
Hi everyone, I'm a new member and 2nd year on my own wood burner. Grew up with a wood stove but just installed my own in 2016. Anyways I finished building a lean to wood shed with a quickly thrown together brick underlayment and was wondering if I could stack my firewood directly on the brick, or if I should use some scrap blocks of wood to elevate.

Get the wood off the ground. Get some good oak pallets. Check around as you can generally get them for free.

Elevation a bit off ground is probably better.

Reactions: TreePointer
Welcome to the forum!

Pallets are a great idea, otherwise some 4x4 to elevate are another good way to go. Getting the wood off the ground helps with the airflow from underneath, and if you do happen to get moisture, it does not suck up into your wood and ruin the bottom layers!

Welcome to the forum.
Pallets are ideal to stack wood on and avoid moisture from below. If made of plastic, they can be reused almost forever.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I picked up an old wood rack my mom had used and got some oak pallets from the local hospitals recieving dock. We had our first good downpour and I sat under the shed drank a cold beer and admired just how nice and dry my wood stack is.

I use pressure treated two by fours, eight inches apart, as my base.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I picked up an old wood rack my mom had used and got some oak pallets from the local hospitals recieving dock. We had our first good downpour and I sat under the shed drank a cold beer and admired just how nice and dry my wood stack is.

A beer well earned!

When I built a "wood staging area" close to the back door, I used bricks and laid 2x4's on top of them and started stacking. I also used a piece of tarp and cobbled together a simple way of blocking the weather, yet allowing air to circulate when I raised the tarp up to cover the wood. In a way the tarp acted as a Lean-to as it was anchored on the bottom of the 2x4 and bungee cords (anchored to the eaves)kept the tarp taut. This year, I'll replace the blue tarp with a brown or camouflage to help it blend in...

I remember chuckeling over how well it works. Kept the wood dry, yet allowed for air circulation. I celebrated with another cup of coffee, but should have made the moment a bit better with a beer.

With Harbor Freight bungees and tarps, one can cover the world!