Tags:
  1. RustableCoot

RustableCoot
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 9, 2018
    Loc:
    NC
    Hi everyone, I'm a new member and 2nd year on my own wood burner. Grew up with a wood stove but just installed my own in 2016. Anyways I finished building a lean to wood shed with a quickly thrown together brick underlayment and was wondering if I could stack my firewood directly on the brick, or if I should use some scrap blocks of wood to elevate.

2. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 3, 2014
    Loc:
    Western WIsconsin
    Get the wood off the ground. Get some good oak pallets. Check around as you can generally get them for free.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    D8Chumley and hickoryhoarder like this.
  3. Ctwoodtick

Ctwoodtick
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 5, 2015
    Loc:
    Southeast CT
    Elevation a bit off ground is probably better.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    TreePointer likes this.
  4. Dobish

Dobish
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 26, 2015
    Loc:
    Golden CO
    Welcome to the forum!

Pallets are a great idea, otherwise some 4x4 to elevate are another good way to go. Getting the wood off the ground helps with the airflow from underneath, and if you do happen to get moisture, it does not suck up into your wood and ruin the bottom layers!

5. Alpine1

Alpine1
    Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 27, 2017
    Loc:
    Eastern Alps, Italy
    Welcome to the forum.
    Pallets are ideal to stack wood on and avoid moisture from below. If made of plastic, they can be reused almost forever.

6. RustableCoot

RustableCoot
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 9, 2018
    Loc:
    NC
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I picked up an old wood rack my mom had used and got some oak pallets from the local hospitals recieving dock. We had our first good downpour and I sat under the shed drank a cold beer and admired just how nice and dry my wood stack is.

7. hickoryhoarder

hickoryhoarder
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Apr 5, 2013
    Loc:
    Indiana
    I use pressure treated two by fours, eight inches apart, as my base.

8. Ctwoodtick

Ctwoodtick
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 5, 2015
    Loc:
    Southeast CT
    A beer well earned!

9. brazilbl

brazilbl
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 24, 2017
    Loc:
    El Dorado County, CA
    When I built a "wood staging area" close to the back door, I used bricks and laid 2x4's on top of them and started stacking. I also used a piece of tarp and cobbled together a simple way of blocking the weather, yet allowing air to circulate when I raised the tarp up to cover the wood. In a way the tarp acted as a Lean-to as it was anchored on the bottom of the 2x4 and bungee cords (anchored to the eaves)kept the tarp taut. This year, I'll replace the blue tarp with a brown or camouflage to help it blend in...

I remember chuckeling over how well it works. Kept the wood dry, yet allowed for air circulation. I celebrated with another cup of coffee, but should have made the moment a bit better with a beer.

With Harbor Freight bungees and tarps, one can cover the world!

10. Woodsplitter67

Woodsplitter67
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 19, 2017
    Loc:
    Woolwich nj
    Keeping the wood up and having good air circulation around the stack is key to quicker seasoning times