Probe said 1530 so I pulled out a split

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
[QUOTE="Highbeam, post: 2417518, member

cat temp at 1530, just reduce intake air.
interestingly, VC does the opposite. You have to increase primary air and get some flames, primary combustion in order to reduce the cat temp.
[/QUOTE]

That’s common with all cat stoves. A temporary spike in cat temp when you turn down the air but the reduced smoke production from the fuel will eventually result in everything cooling off. Unless VC stoves are special somehow.

Reactions: CTwith3
interestingly, VC does the opposite. You have to increase primary air and get some flames, primary combustion in order to reduce the cat temp.

That’s common with all cat stoves. A temporary spike in cat temp when you turn down the air but the reduced smoke production from the fuel will eventually result in everything cooling off. Unless VC stoves are special somehow.
[/QUOTE]
Maybe we are saying the same thing. I plan to permanently rig up my Princess with Auber100 probe. It will be interesting if I get uncomfortable when the cat probe spikes to 1600 territory. Will I increase the primary air or reduce it....? Or will I just open the bypass.

Maybe we are saying the same thing. I plan to permanently rig up my Princess with Auber100 probe. It will be interesting if I get uncomfortable when the cat probe spikes to 1600 territory. Will I increase the primary air or reduce it....? Or will I just open the bypass.
[/QUOTE]

I would definitely not open the bypass. I’ve melted the bypass retainers once and don’t want to risk that.

I am interested to see how the thermocouple works on the princess and how it looks. I would like to upgrade my monitors someday if it doesn’t look too silly!

I would definitely not open the bypass. I’ve melted the bypass retainers once and don’t want to risk that.

I am interested to see how the thermocouple works on the princess and how it looks. I would like to upgrade my monitors someday if it doesn’t look too silly!
[/QUOTE]
It will kind of look like this. My wife thinks I lost it! 840BE2F0-F239-46B9-8442-207A7FCCF3DE.png

Reactions: Highbeam
Usually, if the cat temp climbs, and you want it running cooler, I cut back on the primary air and the temperature does go down. I learned after two times to cut the primary air down half-way for a few minutes first, and then cut it in half again, and then will close it completely.
If you completely close the primary air right away and really fast the temperature sometimes does spike, but then comes right back down.

Reactions: Highbeam
I just called Olympia and the tech people said I CAN drill a hoe into the stove pipe and use the Condar Flueguard thermomete.
Sure, you can drill a hoe..I've done it a time or two. ==c

Usually, if the cat temp climbs, and you want it running cooler, I cut back on the primary air and the temperature does go down. I learned after two times to cut the primary air down half-way for a few minutes first, and then cut it in half again, and then will close it completely.
If you completely close the primary air right away and really fast the temperature sometimes does spike, but then comes right back down.
It's possible your 2040 runs a bit differently than Diabel's 2550..
when the cat probe spikes to 1600 territory. Will I increase the primary air or reduce it....? Or will I just open the bypass.
I don't guess that happens to you too much, as you are usually running pretty low, correct?
Dood, you have a Princess; It won't look any sillier, and anything that draws your eye away from the box is bound to be an improvement. :p

Bought the Condar Inferno magnetic stove top thermometer, and the new thermometer shows the same temp as my age old VC thermometer.

Throughout the range? From say 70 to 600? I find that many of them will read similar at some point in the range but are way off of each other in the higher range