Quadrafire Yosemite Air Flow Broken

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LAndrim

Jan 1, 2011
Outside of Philly
Hi,
I have a Quadrafire Yosemite that worked great for years...now it overfires and I won't use it for safety reasons.
It seems the primary air control rod no longer adjusts the air...it just moves in and out without engaging anything. So the primary is constantly open full.

Dealer is no longer in business, so no help there.

I thought about turning the stove upside down, unscrewing and removing the bottom where I might be able to gain access to the primary rod and reattach it...but I can't!!

Any suggestions? I can't burn it with that rod open. Thanks much!

The Yosemite is a cast iron jacketed stove. Usually this means that the jacket just hangs off of the steel firebox. It looks like removing the front facade should expose the air control mechanism. If you need help, there are a lot of Quad dealers in the Philly area. Maybe try the service departments of a couple? They may be able to guide you by phone.
http://www.quadrafire.com/Service-Locator.aspx
Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 10.47.48 AM.png

Have you made sure the door gasket is sealing properly? Especially the ashpan door gasket. Make sure there’s no compacted ash behind the ashpan that’s preventing the door from sealing.

The Yosemite is a cast iron jacketed stove. Usually this means that the jacket just hangs off of the steel firebox. It looks like removing the front facade should expose the air control mechanism. If you need help, there are a lot of Quad dealers in the Philly area. Maybe try the service departments of a couple? They may be able to guide you by phone.
http://www.quadrafire.com/Service-Locator.aspx
View attachment 201586
Thanks begreen. I tried to access the air control mechanism, but I have to turn the stove over--not accessed from the front facade :(
I'll check out other dealers...this is clearly a job for a stove pro. Thanks again

Have you made sure the door gasket is sealing properly? Especially the ashpan door gasket. Make sure there’s no compacted ash behind the ashpan that’s preventing the door from sealing.
Hi webby 3650,
thanks for the reply. It's not the gasket...the issue is that the control rod has come off of the doohickcey that opens and closes the vent. The rod just moves in and out without engaging. thanks again for trying to help!

Hi webby 3650,
thanks for the reply. It's not the gasket...the issue is that the control rod has come off of the doohickcey that opens and closes the vent. The rod just moves in and out without engaging. thanks again for trying to help!
If you can actually see that it’s disconnected then good. Shouldn’t be a difficult fix, I’m not familiar with that particular stove, so I can’t help you.
All too often folks think the air control isn’t working for 2 reasons: unseasoned firewood, the stove appears to be stuck on low, and bad gaskets. A bad gasket will not allow the user to control the burn rate. That’s why I mentioned that as a possible issue.

Thanks begreen. I tried to access the air control mechanism, but I have to turn the stove over--not accessed from the front facade :(
I'll check out other dealers...this is clearly a job for a stove pro. Thanks again
Sounds good. I was wondering though, can you examine the control with a bright light and a mirror? This could be as simple as a cotter pin missing.

Sounds good. I was wondering though, can you examine the control with a bright light and a mirror? This could be as simple as a cotter pin missing.
Hi begreen,
Yes, I put a mirror under the stove with a flashlight. There's a slit where I can see the rod and it is running "free" not attached to the pin...that's why the primary air is always "on". Unfortunately, there is no way for me to access it without turning the stove upside down or on side and removing the entire bottom plate. That is above my paygrade. I found a dealer who services Quads and will have his tech come and do this heavy lifting. Thanks for your insights...they are spot on!

Hi,
I have a Quadrafire Yosemite that worked great for years...now it overfires and I won't use it for safety reasons.
It seems the primary air control rod no longer adjusts the air...it just moves in and out without engaging anything. So the primary is constantly open full.

Dealer is no longer in business, so no help there.

I thought about turning the stove upside down, unscrewing and removing the bottom where I might be able to gain access to the primary rod and reattach it...but I can't!!

Any suggestions? I can't burn it with that rod open. Thanks much!
Hi, I'm just wondering how u made out with yosemite stove. I have the same issue and have for years and I can't seem to get it figured out. Since the day I bought this stove the air control did nothing