Vermont Castings - Dutchwest 2460 - Damper actuation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vig06002

Oct 26, 2019
Vermont
Hi All,

I took my stove apart to clean in and re-gasket. I cannot for the life of me figure out how the damper is supposed to work.

I didn't too much attention disassembling, because, after all 2 bolts and nuts shouldn't be rocket surgery, right? Wrong. Now the damper doesn't actuate easily, and things just don't feel right.

So, first question. Can anyone explain how this thing is supposed to work? The adjustment bolt doesn't seem to do anything; I work on cars and am pretty mechanically capable and I cannot see what the adjustment bolt is supposed to accomplish.

Second question. When the damper actuates, is it supposed to twist? Or actuate straight up? Mine twists and seems like it is chaffing the foam insulation around the catalytic converter.

Third question. Is there supposed to be a washer between the anchor bolt and damper plate? It seems like too small a bolt for the plate; I have difficulty tightening and loosening it per the instruction manual. Speaking of:

Fourth question. Does anyone know how I should have each of these set to be close to "factory installation"? The manual mentions adjusting the thing, but doesn't explain where the general starting point should be.

Thanks ahead of time for any guidance. Maybe it's working as it should and I just need to get the adjustment dialed-in, but the adjustment bolt is really breaking my confidence since it seems totally useless.

vig06002

Attachments

• ACTUATE1.JPG
    ACTUATE1.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 155
  • ACTUATE2.JPG
    ACTUATE2.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 151
  • ACTUATE3.JPG
    ACTUATE3.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 151
  • WHOLE SETUP.JPG
    WHOLE SETUP.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 153
I don't think it is supposed to twist when moving the damper handle. Here is a rebuild thread for the big brother of the 2460.

Looks like he does have a washer for the anchor bolt.. Maybe that's part of my problem.

Looking at his setup, though, I can't figure out how he gets his dampening rod pointed all the way down like that. Mine won't fit like that no matter how I reassemble the parts, there isn't enough clearance for all the pieces..

Thank you for the link, begreen. I put my dampener plate on upside-down!! _g

Things seem to fit much better with it flipped over.