What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
cleaned the ash out of the stove yesterday before going in for the night, decided to make a trip to the wood shed for 3 arms full worth of wood this afternoon, burning full swing, 41deg and rain right now, 70 inside with steaks getting ready for the grill.

If it was 70 in my house i would also be running the stove. Solar gain is your bff this time of the year. Just got back to the city, house acceptable due to NG running a bit in the morning and solar gain in the afternoon. No need to bother the old VC. Enjoy the stakes and i will mine too...!

Been a while. Haven’t had fires for couple weeks now, in the 80s today, 30-40s at night. Just been letting good ol sun warm the house. Always have a random cold spell between now and June but think my burning seasons pretty much done

I could be wrong, but I might be done for the season, temps are generally more mild, I wont need any fires as long as we don't get anymore damp chilly rain days, like the one experienced this past Sunday and Monday, I think this weekend we're going to actually see 70 here. Gona break out the sleeveless tee shirts, wish my mullet was coming in better. Yes, that's what rona does to a man around here, firewood and mullets.

Reactions: MMH
I got up early this morning to find it 61degrees inside and 29 outside i decided it was as good a time as any to finish off the last little bit of firewood we have in the house. Maple and white oak.

A little black birch is burning in the fireview.. Interesting weather that's for sure -- snow squall come through this evening too. What day is it anyway ??

Attachments

• P5090993.JPG
    P5090993.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 191
  • P5090999.JPG
    P5090999.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 174
  • P4290894.JPG
    P4290894.JPG
    251.4 KB · Views: 184
Rainy and 45 this morning. Pine is taking the chill off.

Attachments

• 20200510_081818.jpg
    20200510_081818.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 196
Been burning some beech and maple uglies with a few ash pieces thrown in. Been cool enough to burn 24/7 the last few days.

Ash.

Cold, dust grey ash.

This past week we've had low temps of 24.2, 28.4 & 28.7, we're still running a fire in the morning and night with some chitty wood someone thought it would be a good idea to stack.

We'll still have 2 face cord of wood left that we didn't burn because of the warmer winter.

By my standards I've had a pretty good spring c/s/s wood with a total of 55 face cord in the inventory, this week I'll fell more ash so I can get another four face cord for a total of 59.

Nothing right now . . . unless my wife has a fire going.

But lately we've been mostly burning up white pine.

We had our last fire last night even though we still have three face cord of hardwood that we didn't burn because of the warmer winter.

Burning almost four cord of pine in the fall and another two face cord this spring helps out.

Done with burning for the season. Last fire was last Tue. Fire pit burns at the lake from now on, as long as the fire ban is lifted. Burnt way less wood this season.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Cool, crisp 33 degrees this morning so burning some ash and white birch to get rid of the chill.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Seems too early, but having first fire tonight. Gotta love WI weather, summer one week and then fall the next. Some pine to start the season off.
20200909_201425.jpg

Way too early, I am letting my furnace run a few times a day. :) But yea, it's cold enough for the furnace to need to run to maintain 67F. :(

Reactions: Gearhead660
I've been burning mostly shorts and uglies since Tuesday night. No all day or overnight fires just evening to take the chill out. The small stuff I'm burning is mainly cherry, birch, and pine. Eventually I'll be into the bigger pieces of pine, birch and cherry as the season progresses and then oak and hickory is scheduled for this year's cold weather burning!

Burning some crappy cherry and oak, that had been sitting in the woods several years, and looked ok when finally retrieved, but now is lite and miserable. Guess water feels like wood, till it's gone, then nothing. That's ok though, because small lite fires is what's needed right now.

Reactions: JimBear
This is what I have in mine... been this was seine may.. I have another 25 day before its lit. I can't wait until it cools down.. Its hot, humid.. Im tired of it.. its been a long summer and it can't turn to fall fast enough
20200910_161754.jpg

Reactions: MMH and JimBear
I am jealous. It will be at least month before I will light it.
I wish 4::C/39::F tonight
Frost warning in effect

Statements
3:13 PM EDT Thursday 10 September 2020
Frost advisory in effect for:
  • Bancroft - Hastings Highlands - Denbigh
Frost may damage some crops in frost-prone areas.

Patchy frost is likely tonight into Friday morning across portions of northeastern and central Ontario.

Mostly cloudy skies this afternoon should give way to at least a partial clearing tonight allowing ground temperatures to fall to near or below the freezing mark.
Cover up plants, especially those in frost-prone areas. Take preventative measures to protect frost-sensitive plants and trees.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to [email protected] or tweet reports using #ONStorm.

Reactions: JimBear