What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Just 3 pieces of Cherry & 1 piece of Red Elm. Should be the last fire for awhile.

image.jpg

Nothing in the stove. But a nice bonfire in the back yard. Smells like fall!

Reactions: Gearhead660
Finally got the chimney buttoned up for my new HT2000 and started curing the paint today while the weather's still relatively warm. Started with some dried out pieces of 2x4 that just came out of the walls during ongoing renos, plus a few off-cuts of rough-cut 1x pine. Add some ash shorts after awhile. The smoke from the paint was pretty heavy but not as bad as I had expected. Had the windows wide open with fans going.

MVIMG_20200913_150044edit1sm - Copy.jpg

Finally got the chimney buttoned up for my new HT2000 and started curing the paint today while the weather's still relatively warm. Started with some dried out pieces of 2x4 that just came out of the walls during ongoing renos, plus a few off-cuts of rough-cut 1x pine. Add some ash shorts after awhile. The smoke from the paint was pretty heavy but not as bad as I had expected. Had the windows wide open with fans going.

View attachment 263168
Nice looking install. Is that actual brick/masonry chimney?

Nice looking install. Is that actual brick/masonry chimney?
Brick faced cinder block. Runs from the basement to the roof. It has 2 clay flues, with the second being for an open hearth on the main floor. This flue has been line with a smooth wall stainless 6" chimney. For some reason the stainless horizontal section coming out of the brick has a negative pitch (it was installed by previous owners), but other than that, it seems to work well.

Brick faced cinder block. Runs from the basement to the roof. It has 2 clay flues, with the second being for an open hearth on the main floor. This flue has been line with a smooth wall stainless 6" chimney. For some reason the stainless horizontal section coming out of the brick has a negative pitch (it was installed by previous owners), but other than that, it seems to work well.
I thought I was going to miss my trusty 30 y/o SeeFire, but this this one small fire in the HT convinced me it was $1k well spent.

View attachment 263168
I love the ht2000.....just a beauty. The crosscut above is a nice touch too.

Reactions: Deets
second day with a little morning fire - uglies and end cuts of the jack pine and poplar variety

Reactions: MMH and Gearhead660
65 out and you already have the fire going. Love it, but I could never. That's way to warm.
65 in the house. I was fine, others not so much....
Reason to fire up new stove.

Reactions: MMH
There will be fire tonight and through the weekend. Basswood and hemlock will be on the menu.

It was cold last weekend, burned the stove for a few days and let burn out. Restarted last night, although it didn't get too cold outside (low 40's) and didn't hear the blower cut on much. I am burning some unknown wood from a scrounge I got last summer from someone who got gas logs and gave away their small wood pile (with three snakes hiding in the stuff). I will be mixing that with some white oak uglies I got over the summer.

I'm already in to the first 24/7 burns of the season this week! And I had evening fires last month which for me is a record for earliest time of year I've had indoor fires! Been burning 1 yr old pine and birch this week, it's been doing great! My house is very warm and my wife needs to open windows during the day. Success!! ==c

Riff my 2 girls help me with the wood watching me split and stack it as well. The girls love the heat on those cold days we have had a few days in the 50's with some cold nights and they are asking for a fire already. A few more weeks since it is supposed to warm up this week. For now the furnace works.

Reactions: JimBear and Riff
I had a Pine fire when I came in today around 5 or after, I'll put another load of Pine in the Liberty before I hit the sleeper tonight.

We had six face cord of White pine up for this year, we'll burn four face this fall and two in the spring. We also have almost three face cord of good hardwood left from last year we never burned because it was a warmer winter overall.

We also have a pellet stove (had it before we bought the woodlot) we burned just over 50 bags last year.