Why to buy local

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm sorry this has happened to you Greg. I bought my stove on 16 sept 2017, and found out two days ago, that some of my stove pipe was never even ordered. I was lied to again. This is Missoula mt, and all I had to do was call a the supply houses in that town to get the scoop. I could buy a home tomorrow and have it closed faster than buying a stove from that dealer. Since this has happened I have found a hearth business that takes care of Blaze king owners although they are not an authorized dealer. I've been kind to this young girls, but am still getting treated like an alzeheimers patient in regards to common respect. My best advice is find a middle man to deal with. As you can see, BK,s employees remain in their positions and you have to just get wensteined . I'm thinking that west coast union mentality has taken them over. I'm hanging in there, try to get your BK. It will be over shortly and you will have a awesome stove. I am going to start buying used BK stoves, rebuild them and sell them used for big bucks. I have one job down, and now I need three more. People will pay more for good service, or in my area...any service at all. This is how I am going to help people.
Beldin-

I'm really interested in your post, and think you have a good business idea.

I am confused a bit about some of your comments. What does "wensteined" mean? I'm sure it is a reference to Harvey, but I can't figure out how it applies here?

The second thing, I understand is your disdain for the dealers there in Missoula, but it seems you are attributing their faults to the stove company. Particularly puzzling is your advice to find a middleman, which is exactly what the dealers are. I'm pretty sure the dealers are totally independent, not stove company owned and operated stores. They may have some contract to sell the stoves, but the stove company otherwise probably has nothing to do with the way the business is run.

I'm in your camp about dealers. I'm amazed that they stay in business around here, and I attribute their success to a near monopoly in the area. I'll do almost anything to avoid dealing with the creeps.

Are the "young girls" you refer to employees at the dealers, or people you talked to on the phone at the stove company?

Reactions: Ashful
Glad to hear this all worked out in the end. Greg67 and BKVP. Misunderstandings do happen, and it sounds like this one went went a bit sideways when tempers flared. It's great to hear that BKVP went out of the way to take care of the situation and helps me further respect their reputation here.

Reactions: Highbeam
Beldin-

I'm really interested in your post, and think you have a good business idea.

I am confused a bit about some of your comments. What does "wensteined" mean? I'm sure it is a reference to Harvey, but I can't figure out how it applies here?

The second thing, I understand is your disdain for the dealers there in Missoula, but it seems you are attributing their faults to the stove company. Particularly puzzling is your advice to find a middleman, which is exactly what the dealers are. I'm pretty sure the dealers are totally independent, not stove company owned and operated stores. They may have some contract to sell the stoves, but the stove company otherwise probably has nothing to do with the way the business is run.

I'm in your camp about dealers. I'm amazed that they stay in business around here, and I attribute their success to a near monopoly in the area. I'll do almost anything to avoid dealing with the creeps.

Are the "young girls" you refer to employees at the dealers, or people you talked to on the phone at the stove company?

1st on the wensteined deal, I'm mean this....I was told there were no managers at the axemen. This was proven false by one if the folks that answered the phone, finally after a month. As far as talking to the owner, I was told that I needed to talk to a manager. Ok. We'll the manager works in the field is the person that called me, and stated that they would be out to our house on the 17th of this month. No show, no call. Ok. So I called the dealership back and was told that it is my fault because just because the manager said they would be here, that is was my fault for not confirming. I took him at his word, so I asked the female what is the confirmation process? A confirmation number or something? She says no, they don't do that. well what gives then? At that point, I realized that cooler heads do not prevail when dealing with a militants hostile business. So basically if I wanted the stove I would have to wait. To an old school american like me...it means take it up the arse if I want that stove. That is what I meant by being wensteined. And I have caved. So I am being told that they are not for certain but maybe they can get to my area by Friday the 27th. I won't know until that date gets closer. What? If I ran my business like that...lordy! I would be out of business within three months. They have a monopoly and darn well know it.
Lots of young professionals throw out the old adage "the buck stops here", but that means nothing anymore obviously. The stove company does own a little culpability after all. They chose who represents them. It is what it is.
As far as getting a middle man, I understand the contradiction, but the middleman here is dishonest, inept and rude. However people love their stoves and if they are willing to be sodomized personally (apparently like myself) then I can make possible for them to get their stoves if they are willing to pay even more money. I won't treat them the way we are treated. Sure they pay more for a yet another wheel but at least that consumer has some sort of recourse.
On the female thing, well what is wrong with hiring somebody that has worked in the trades, regardless off sex, ethnicity, or whatever? Go to a big box store, your best bet for finding answers is usually a retired person with past real world experience. Just because they won't wear too tight pants doesn't mean you should show discrimination towards them. I'm not sexist, just a realist. One of the absolute best suppliers I deal with in windows and doors is a 70 old lady. I honor and revere her and she knows it.
It is very embarrassing for myself to come onto a worldwide website and expose my poor grammar, sentence structure and general incompetence at computers. I am not a 10 year novice burner. But unfortunately that is how it comes across. I've recently rebuilt a woodstock fireview for a kind lady for free. There is an extreme vacuum here. We are the second coldest valley in the lower 48 next to international falls. Prime example of good old american opportunity here. I am not certain, but it sounds like BK may be run by the union. If that is the case, well then they cannot get their house in order until senior management is willing to do what needs to be done. That is a perfect example of computer kids worried about scratching their computers instead of corporate leadership. Hopefully I've been literate enough to explain my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not certain, but it sounds like BK may be ran by the union. If that is the case, well then they cannot get their house in order until senior management is willing to do what needs to be done.

That explains everything! You've just exposed the top secret West Coast Hearth and Home Workers Union! WCHHWU. They make $68/hour to start, full medical, dental and a retirement to die for and they can't get fired as long as they are current on their union dues and attend the weekly Saturday night Satanic Worship Service at the boiler shop where they sacrifice live cats (real ones, not combustors) to appease the corrupt union management!

By golly, that explains everything! I knew this wasn't a case of straight-forward capitalism run amuck! ;)

Last edited:
1st on the wensteined deal, I'm mean this....I was told there were no managers at the axemen. This was proven false by one if the folks that answered the phone, finally after a month. As far as talking to the owner, I was told that I needed to talk to a manager. Ok. We'll the manager works in the field is the person that called me, and stated that they would be out to our house on the 17th of this month. No show, no call. Ok. So I called the dealership back and was told that it is my fault because just because the manager said they would be here, that is was my fault for not confirming. I took him at his word, so I asked the female what is the confirmation process? A confirmation number or something? She says no, they don't do that. well what gives then? At that point, I realized that cooler heads do not prevail when dealing with a militants hostile business. So basically if I wanted the stove I would have to wait. To an old school american like me...it means take it up the arse if I want that stove. That is what I meant by being wensteined. And I have caved. So I am being told that they are not for certain but maybe they can get to my area by Friday the 27th. I won't know until that date gets closer. What? If I ran my business like that...lordy! I would be out of business within three months. They have a monopoly and darn well know it.
Lots of young professionals throw out the old adage "the buck stops here", but that means nothing anymore obviously. The stove company does own a little culpability after all. They chose who represents them. It is what it is.
As far as getting a middle man, I understand the contradiction, but the middleman here is dishonest, inept and rude. However people love their stoves and if they are willing to be sodomized personally (apparently like myself) then I can make possible for them to get their stoves if they are willing to pay even more money. I won't treat them the way we are treated. Sure they pay more for a yet another wheel but at least that consumer has some sort of recourse.
On the female thing, well what is wrong with hiring somebody that has worked in the trades, regardless off sex, ethnicity, or whatever? Go to a big box store, your best bet for finding answers is usually a retired person with past real world experience. Just because they won't wear too tight pants doesn't mean you should show discrimination towards them. I'm not sexist, just a realist. One of the absolute best suppliers I deal with in windows and doors is a 70 old lady. I honor and revere her and she knows it.
It is very embarrassing for myself to come onto a worldwide website and expose my poor grammar, sentence structure and general incompetence at computers. I am not a 10 year novice burner. But unfortunately that is how it comes across. I've recently rebuilt a wood stock fireview for a kind lady for free. There is an extreme vacuum here. We are the second coldest valley in the lower 48 next to international falls. Prime example of good old american opportunity here. I am not certain, but it sounds like BK may be ran by the union. If that is the case, well then they cannot get their house in order until senior management is willing to do what needs to be done. That is a perfect example of computer kids worried about scratching their computers instead of corporate leadership. Hopefully I've been literate enough to explain my opinion.
Thanks Beldin- I wasn't judging, I honestly just wanted to understand what was going on. I think I have a better idea now, so thanks for explaining. It sure can be frustrating when dealing with some folks today. I hope you end up with more business than you can handle with your rebuilt stoves.

I understand Ed. I wish I could remember my schooling a little better. I learn from everybody. That is why I am here. An old timer taught me years ago, that the best resources are simply people and the Cole time knowledge that they share. Imagine a young guy from the nother rockies moving into hardwood forests of the south. It was a whole different game. No more sharpening chain at 35 degrees. It took me awhile to except that sometimes things just take longer☺. Buying locally is something I do my best to support. It is a nice day here. We got seven inches of snow last night. I'm going to go get a load of wood. It is the first day of hunting season here

I'm sorry this has happened to you Greg. I bought my stove on 16 sept 2017, and found out two days ago, that some of my stove pipe was never even ordered. I was lied to again. This is Missoula mt, and all I had to do was call a the supply houses in that town to get the scoop. I could buy a home tomorrow and have it closed faster than buying a stove from that dealer. Since this has happened I have found a hearth business that takes care of Blaze king owners although they are not an authorized dealer. I've been kind to this young girls, but am still getting treated like an alzeheimers patient in regards to common respect. My best advice is find a middle man to deal with. As you can see, BK,s employees remain in their positions and you have to just get wensteined. I'm thinking that west coast union mentality has taken them over. I'm hanging in there, try to get your BK. It will be over shortly and you will have a awesome stove. I am going to start buying used BK stoves, rebuild them and sell them used for big bucks. I have one job down, and now I need three more. People will pay more for good service, or in my area...any service at all. This is how I am going to help people.
Sorry, you're out of line. Our employees are spectacular at what they do and an extremely rare incident is not remotely representative of our staff. And we are not unionized.

Sorry, you're out of line. Our employees are spectacular at what they do and an extremely rare incident is not remotely representative of our staff. And we are not unionized.
I'm glad you are not unionized. Truly. I was wondering for awhile now. Out of line though? I'm too old to be bothered by such childish spittle. Besides, I don't even know what I am our of line with, and I do not care. You must have too much time on your hands for a VP to wasting your efforts on me. Please carry on making the best stoves out there. My wife has explained what trolling is. Please don't do that to me.

You must have too much time on your hands for a VP to wasting your efforts on me.
I think it's spectacular that any executive of a company making consumer products makes themselves available to their buying public. Calling that wasted effort is like throwing a gift in the garbage.

My wife has explained what trolling is. Please don't do that to me.
:rolleyes:

I'm glad you are not unionized. Truly. I was wondering for awhile now. Out of line though? I'm too old to be bothered by such childish spittle. Besides, I don't even know what I am our of line with, and I do not care. You must have too much time on your hands for a VP to wasting your efforts on me. Please carry on making the best stoves out there. My wife has explained what trolling is. Please don't do that to me.

I'm with Ashful on this, there is no better use of BKVP's time than paying attention to his customers. Shows how much he cares about them, and how passionate he is about his product.

In some better, alternative world, there would be no "us" vs "them" environment in the corporate context. I actually think that it's fantastic that BKVP is defending the employee that screwed up, displays loyalty. Assuming of course the employee returns the favor and is loyal to him, and correspondingly their customers.

I also think there are some crossed wires here. I believe most of the gripes are directed to the local dealer and their employees who really don't seem to care. We've all had that experience.