Wood supply for 2021 - 2022

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Frankdozer

Burning Hunk
Aug 31, 2016
Maine
Has everyone stacked their wood yet? Started stacking yesterday. I’ll post a picture soon. Anyone else? My wood will just about be dry for this coming burning season.

I'm working on splitting and stacking my firewood for the winter of 2024-2025 at the moment.

Wow, your way ahead of most

Attachments

• B2A772AF-5FFA-46EA-88BD-114608BF1BB2.jpeg
    B2A772AF-5FFA-46EA-88BD-114608BF1BB2.jpeg
    247.8 KB · Views: 214
I have 21-22 stacked, 22-23 stacked, 23-24 stacked, and will soon start on 24-25.
If you are stacking for 21-22 now, i.e. this coming winter, it won't be dry enough (at least for my stove)... Not even one full summer season...

Where I stack it ... the sun beats down all day with a steady breeze all day. I’ve done this for 15 years and it’s dries just fine. If I wait til September to stack , then it doesn’t dry enough and sizzles when burned. Even the so called 1 year seasoned wood that’s locally sold in September can’t be used that year. Even though the sellers swear it can.

I'm working on splitting and stacking my firewood for the winter of 2024-2025 at the moment.
Same here, working on 24-25. Good feeling to be ahead.

Where I stack it ... the sun beats down all day with a steady breeze all day. I’ve done this for 15 years and it’s dries just fine. If I wait til September to stack , then it doesn’t dry enough and sizzles when burned. Even the so called 1 year seasoned wood that’s locally sold in September can’t be used that year. Even though the sellers swear it can.

okay, great that that works for you! Not many can get it dry enough this way, in four months (uncovered?).
Do you have a moisture meter (to check parallel to the grain on a freshly split surface at around 70 F)?

Even if this works for you, the less moisture you have, the less heat (energy) you waste in heating up that moisture to fly out of your chimney, and the more heat you get out of your stove.

Since I’m doing it ... I guess it works for me. Of course it’s covered or will be I just haven't finished stacking. I don’t bother with a meter. I’ve been burning since my first house in 1977. In all those burning years a person knows things . I never have or had creosote build up in the chimney either. Between the wind and the sun ... the drying process escalates. I drop the trees the end of summer to let the leaves suck out the moisture. And in the frozen winter I skid out the trees to-the first staging cutting and splitting area. In the spring I load into the dumper to bring to the sunny / breezy area to be stacked in June. I also swap 9’ pine and hemlock logs to the sawmill for firewood. With the price of lumber as it is presently, I should get more firewood per board foot.

Reactions: EPS
I have enough cords stacked that will be burned out to the 2025 season but have yet to take any log deliveries thus far this year. A combination of being too warm outside for long periods of work and doing some major projects at the house have delayed wood gathering. I am hoping to be able to get some logs dropped by August. This is one reason among many why you should always be years ahead with your firewood supply!

Reactions: D8Chumley
I get it. It’s 94 degrees here. I’m stacking firewood. I’ve drank 2 gallons of mineral water so far today with another gallon to drink. But I gained 15 pounds this past winter. In this heat..... I’m burning it off getting back in shape. But I don’t recommend it. I did the same thing 4 years ago but didn’t drink much water and ended up in the hospital the next year with sever kidney stones. Had to have the stones blasted. The key is to drink lots of water, more than you can handle. Keep the kidneys flushed. I also were a long sleeve sweatshirt soaked in water. Keeps me cool.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Im going to start stacking my 26-27 wood come September, its been split in a heap since April of this year.

Nice, I am at around 62 cord but last winter sold 14 cord, we will see what this winter brings. We have been burning about 2-1/2 cord a season for the last 2 winters.
My neighbor asked if I was preparing for the apocalypse with my 20 cord... you two have me beat! Think I have the same "problem" as you, I just haven't had it for as long.

My neighbor asked if I was preparing for the apocalypse with my 20 cord... you two have me beat! Think I have the same "problem" as you, I just haven't had it for as long.

Lol, my "problem" is the significant other not allowing more than 7.5-8 cords in total on the property... (2.6 per yr, 3 yr rotation). Otherwise I'd have had your "problem" :p

Im working on 2025 /26 ish Im sitting on 12 cord with about 4 cord in log lenth that ill be working on. Im adding another wood storage area as well as storage for the bobcat, grapple bucket, forks, 1yd bucket and 2 splitters. Im lookingto bring my wood storage to roughly 14 cords with NO tarps. I created a complete wood processingarea at the back of the property. Its been nice not to have to clean up all the time..

Your wood stack looks terrific.
My guess is that you have an older, pre-EPA certified stove. Those are supposed to be able burn wood with a bit more moisture in it that the newer ones. You have to do what works but I know with my stove (bought in 2013), I’d never have dry enough wood in 4 months time at least in my climate ( humid).

Reactions: stoveliker
got enough stacked for 25/26 season will start this year on the 26/27 season might have to quit tho. 3 slipped disks and a replacement shoulder with the other planned

No kidding! It's insane how many people in my neighborhood have asked me what I'm planning to do with all that firewood. Hard to believe they can't see the wood stove pipe sticking out of my roof!!

Reactions: Gearhead660
lol. Same here. My 3 year shed (for year 2-4) is full (once I finish the load on my driveway). Did not want to move what I'll burn this winter. But the lady said "but once all that's not in the shed is burned, there'll be no more stacks outside of the shed"...

What to do next after getting my 8-9-ish cords done in this Covid year and a half... Have to find another useful work-out...

Reactions: EbS-P
I ordered a cord of mixed wood from my area and it will come about the first week of Sept (my date picking)--they will stack it for me as well as deliver it. That wood stacking by FD is just beautiful and plenty of it too..Keep drinking that water because my carpenter if he does not stay hydrated his hands bunch up or something so everybody stay hydrated..and stack more wood..lol clancey