You Know You Are A Real Wood Burner When...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You wake up in the morning and the house is unusually cold at 62 degrees... but the wind is gusting to 50 knots and it's 22 degrees outside... so you look into your stove, see a few poor, lonely embers, and then look at the oil heat thermostat... pause for a few seconds, then say no to oil, look at the stove again, and say "yeah, I can do this" ... like it's a challenge... cause it is! (and I'm doing it now!)

-- Mike

Your on hearth.com so much that you consider the regular patrons "friends" even though you have never met them and may not even know their real name. But you know what stove(s) they have, their favorite species of wood to burn (or hate), and maybe even their pets.

You are on the first name basis with your auto glass repair man for replacing the rear glass of your pickup truck! :lol:

You consider bumps, bruises and scrapes acquired during wood processing as battle scars and worth conversation.

Jags said:
You consider bumps, bruises and scrapes acquired during wood processing as battle scars and worth conversation.

Were you watching me hand-split some willow on Saturday? :) Had a couple pieces jump off the head of the maul and head right at my shins. Only managed to dodge one of them. Guess I deserve that for taking free wood. :)

I'll also throw in my favorite from last years list.

- When your wife goes over to a friends house and shows them how to properly use their wood-stove to get an optimal burn and then tells me about after I get home at night.

Eric

Your wood pile is stacked according to species and log size.
You go for a walk in the woods and size up the trees in terms of potential burn time.
You ask your neighbor if you can pick up loose branches in his yard because you're low on kindling.
The oil truck comes to fill you up after 4 months and only delivers 67 gallons!

You've only had your stove for a week and you walk into the room and question your wife about the position of the draft control.

You walk into a neighbor's house and ignore all their TV, stereos and furniture and only talk about their stove.

You hope for a power outage so you can sit around the wood stove and tell everyone you know how glad you are to have one.

You use your zero dollar gas bill to start your fires.

You only read the newspaper as you're putting it into the stove to start the kindling.

You make snobby comments about bad wood piles you see around the area.

You see smoke coming from a house chimney and feel the urge to go there and show them how to run their stove properly.

- When it is minus 5, 3am, and you go outside in your jammies as snow flies horizontal and you hand split a particular log you have had your eye on for weeks, or months, for just such an occasion because you know it will get you to the following afternoon, and.....

... your neighbors remark that they heard and saw you outside at 3am when it was minus 5, in your jammies as the snow flies, splitting some wood, and they speak with admiration about seeing you, in your jammies as the snow flies, etc etc etc.... because your response has always been - I enjoy everything about it.

- and, the only time you talk about cold is how that applies to beer. The word cold is interchanged with fun or fulfilling or natural when harvesting wood on what some would consider 'snow day', a day that you consider 'a calling'.

My wife had very serious ankle surgery that required a fixator that has since left scars where bolts entered her leg to fix the bone graft. As it would go, I was banging on some less than cooperative elm (perhaps 1/3rd of my stock only because the local tree services give it to me and I have learned how to utilize it to great efficiency even tho it is mediocre in nature).... and when my ax buried properly into a log in a perfect swing, a split careened off into my shin with great impact, resulting in an almost exact gash and bruise as my wife has experienced from her surgery. We now have practically identical shin bruising. Talk about empathy....

Eric said:
Jags said:

Were you watching me hand-split some willow on Saturday? :) Had a couple pieces jump off the head of the maul and head right at my shins. Only managed to dodge one of them. Guess I deserve that for taking free wood. :)

I'll also throw in my favorite from last years list.

- When your wife goes over to a friends house and shows them how to properly use their wood-stove to get an optimal burn and then tells me about after I get home at night.

Eric

"You enjoy watching your wife run around in her underware all day because she’s hot. tongue wink"

You enjoy watching your neighbors or friends wife run around in her underwear all day...regardless.

you know your a wood burner when:

this is the very first website I goto in the morning to see the latest news that matters at all!

When you burn 4-5 cords of wood over 5 months and only use one match.

jpl1nh said:
When you burn 4-5 cords of wood over 5 months and only use one match.

wow!

You really like telling your wife about the comical comments and such you read on Hearth.com

You're depressed for over 6 weeks in the spring when the fire is finally dropped.
(Post heating depression) :down:

coaly said:
You're depressed for over 6 weeks in the spring when the fire is finally dropped.
(Post heating depression) :down:

Not me. By sometime in Feb. I am throughly sick of it. Some years by the second week in December.

Status
Not open for further replies.