2016-17 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Food for thought, as Highbeam pointed out, the Princess once required a 12' flue and some here are doing just fine at or near that requirement.

The 30 series stoves have always had a 15' requirement and some find they need even more still to get proper draft.

Reactions: Highbeam
A quick rough estimate leaves about 9-10 ft of pipe in the air to meet the 15 ft minimum..

People do it. Sometimes with brick even. 5' is the max unsupported pipe length up in the air. So whether you have 9 feet sticking up or 6 feet it's the same amount of braces and cleaning the cap will be a pain. If you chose another brand of stove with a shorter flue requirement you would still have quite a lot of pipe in the air.

Remember, moisture meters use electrical current to measure moisture. You must let your selected test piece come to room temperature and then split and measure. Usually sitting in a mud room or something over night will do the trick.
Thanks for the tip..

The dream is slipping away...what are non cat chimney requirements?

The PE alderlea T5 that is an excellent performing non cat requires 15' from the base of the appliance (sounds like the floor).

My Englander NC30 also requires 15' from the floor.

The current hearthstone heritage requires a 13' chimney.

Sounds like the BK is only a couple feet more than these common stoves at 15'.

Have installed the Super 27 (same firebox as the T5) and a Summit with 12 ft chimneys and they both work fine. The Summit installation has 2 90s in the flue path too. The owner heats exclusively with the stove. PE stoves have a more direct, simpler secondary connection which helps them breathe easier. Enviro stoves also can work on a 12' flue as well as the Hampton H300.

What am I looking at exactly here? Ran across this today..

2016-17 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

Varies per manufacturer -- some, like the BK's measure from the stove collar & others, like PE Alderlea measure from the "appliance base" which gains you a couple feet. E.g. My stove has 13' of stack from top of stove which meets the minimum requirement of 15' to the base of stove.

What am I looking at exactly here? Ran across this today..

View attachment 190371
Looks like an old "smoke dragon" Earth Stove or similar. (They did not draw as well as the Fisher style stoves).
Even if you live in a state where it is legal to install in a residence, I'd have to recommend upgrading to one of the newer EPA stoves. You will save money in the long run in fuel savings (& safety).

Looks like an old "smoke dragon" Earth Stove or similar. (They did not draw as well as the Fisher style stoves).
Even if you live in a state where it is legal to install in a residence, I'd have to recommend upgrading to one of the newer EPA stoves. You will save money in the long run in fuel savings (& safety).
I have no intention of getting a stove of unknown origin...I was just curious as to what it was. Thanks

I believe that's an old blaze king pre alien technology lol.

It's an old Blaze King. Like 30 years old!

Why not just do a stack and liner, and make it height you need? Always looks better than class-A anyway. I have a 24 foot chimney on a 16 foot wall, no issue. Stack could be cement chimney block or steel studs with cement board. Finish with stucco, either way. Cheap and attractive, and easy to drop a liner (or two). Also easy liner replacement down the road.

I believe that's an old blaze king pre alien technology lol.
It still has the thermostatic air control, just no cat. These old BK stoves are are still hands down a better option than other stoves from the same era.

Fwiw my ashford 30 did fine with 13'6" of total stack from collar to cap as long as temps were below freezing.

Added 2 feet, for 15'6" total stack, now i can run it on low settings for 24 hour burns when outdoor temps are 32 to 50 dF.

Why not just do a stack and liner, and make it height you need? Always looks better than class-A anyway. I have a 24 foot chimney on a 16 foot wall, no issue. Stack could be cement chimney block or steel studs with cement board. Finish with stucco, either way. Cheap and attractive, and easy to drop a liner (or two). Also easy liner replacement down the road.
My highest point in my living room is 8.5 ft...add 1.5 ft to get through the sloped cathedral type ceiling..this will leave a lot of pipe sticking up in the air...and a tight wire act to clean it...I have no problem doing as you suggested but once again how will it be cleaned? and it will still be way up in the air and looking very silly. I live in a single level double wide BTW...

I've been around a few running. I'd throw out a fisher etc,etc, long before that baby!
I may go take a look at it today. I need a stove out in my shop. Anything to watch out for on these old stoves? From the pics it appears to still be in good shape. A in person inspection will determine the condition..He is asking $275 for it.

How hard is it to lock and unlock stove pipe? That may make it workable...

-15 F here this morning, loaded the stove @ 9:00 PM last night and woke up to a warm house this morning. Have not touched the stove yet as it is still well in the active zone. Can definitely tell you our old stove could not do that! Loving this new girl in the house. :)

Regards

-15 F here this morning, loaded the stove @ 9:00 PM last night and woke up to a warm house this morning. Have not touched the stove yet as it is still well in the active zone. Can definitely tell you our old stove could not do that! Loving this new girl in the house. :)

Regards
Nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.