A meaningless tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Unless this monster falls victim to natural disaster, I won't be getting if for firewood. Regardless, what do you think it is? Measures nearly 5 ft dbh. Very straight trunk. I am leaning Hickory. But not even close to confident on that.

Attachments

• treepark.jpg
    treepark.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 157
  • treeparklimb.jpg
    treeparklimb.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 165
Oak, Most likely a White.

I was thinking oak too but not white maybe burr.

Burr Oak is a White Oak sub-specie.

Reactions: Locust Post
Burr Oak is a White Oak sub-specie.
Well, not exactly. Oaks are divided into to main groups, White and Red, and although White and Bur Oak are both in the White Oak group, they are separate species of the genus Quercus. Withe Oak Quercus alba, and Bur Oak Quercus macrocarpa.

Just go back to the tree in the spring when it leafs out. Its in a park right?
My mom brought an acorn back from the woods. She found it with a sprout sticking out of it. So she planted it in the backyard and its now the biggest tree in our yard. A forester told me to drop the acorns in a cup of water. The acorns that sink are free of a weevil that eats them. So they are good to plant. If you find them before the turkeys and the white tailed deer.
I find the white oak leaves on the ground in the woods so I know they are out there somewhere. Not sure which ones they are.

Reactions: ScotO
Just go back to the tree in the spring when it leafs out. Its in a park right?
My mom brought an acorn back from the woods. She found it with a sprout sticking out of it. So she planted it in the backyard and its now the biggest tree in our yard. A forester told me to drop the acorns in a cup of water. The acorns that sink are free of a weevil that eats them. So they are good to plant. If you find them before the turkeys and the white tailed deer.
I find the white oak leaves on the ground in the woods so I know they are out there somewhere. Not sure which ones they are.
white oaks acorns look like little footballs, for the most part.....reds are shorther and fatter.....

Well, not exactly. Oaks are divided into to main groups, White and Red, and although White and Bur Oak are both in the White Oak group, they are separate species of the genus Quercus. Withe Oak Quercus alba, and Bur Oak Quercus macrocarpa.

If it makes grade it goes in the white oak lumberpile at the sawmill!

There is plenty of White Oak in these woods. I agree the overall pattern has the White Oak look, but the bark is so much thicker with very defined scales. Most trees I process like that are either Walnut or Hickory.

It's a good think I don't know what i'm talking about!!!!!!! LOL

Reactions: Jags
It's a good think I don't know what i'm talking about!!!!!!! LOL
nrford, Not saying you don't know what you are talking about. I am sure in the business you are in, that you know a lot about trees, and I am sure the industry has it's customary language, which works for you. But it is very difficult to identify a tree definitively with just a couple of pictures.
In fact, when Bur Oaks and White Oaks range overlap, they sometimes cross breed. I was just trying to clarify the species information. ;)

In fact, when Bur Oaks and White Oaks range overlap, they sometimes cross breed. I was just trying to clarify the species information. ;)

Definitely several hybrids around here,some as close as 3-4 blocks south or west of me.

Looks more like cherry bark oak from here - a red oak species

It would be way out of its range if it is.
I was thinking its a park so could have been planted - native range up through Maryland not too far from Jersey

It is a park, but only as of 15 years ago. That tree is 100+ years old. As a kid I kicked around those woods, hunting, hiking, just being a kid in the country. Nothing was planted in those woods unless by a squirel. I see the similarity between White Oak bark pattern, but the thickness of the bark seems quite different.

nrford, Not saying you don't know what you are talking about. I am sure in the business you are in, that you know a lot about trees, and I am sure the industry has it's customary language, which works for you. But it is very difficult to identify a tree definitively with just a couple of pictures.

I was being a little "tongue in cheek" TD. I really don't care what anyone else "thinks it is", I KNOW what it is. ;)

Reactions: Jags
I was being a little "tongue in cheek" TD. I really don't care what anyone else "thinks it is", I KNOW what it is. ;)

"White oak bark is beneficial in treating chronic diarrhea" Just found this on the net for herbal remedies. I still don't think this looks like any white oak bark I have ever seen but I am not saying you are full of it NR. Just a little tongue in cheek. :rolleyes: Burrrrrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.