Condar Flueguard thermometer installed in telescoping DVL?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chamel

Feb 3, 2013
MA
I finally got my pipes installed on my Sirocco 30. I'm excited! :) The last decision before I fire it up is should I install a condar flueguard thermometer. I'm still on the fence. The only thing stopping me is will smoke etc. leak around the hole in the pipe? It's installed in the living room and sometimes we take naps in there. Yes there are CM detectors, but I still worry and don't want to be smelling smoke all the time. I'm guessing this stove will be running on lower thermostat settings most of it's life because it's in a smaller home. With flue temps on the lower side will there be enough draft to keep smoke from coming out around the hole? Have anyone of you have problems with the thermometer falling off etc.? Does it help you run your Blaze King stoves? If I do install it, is it a problem installing it into a telescoping piece of DVL? So I would be drilling through four layers of pipe instead of two. Sorry for all the questions.Thanks for all your help.

Our Condar probe thermometer is installed on DVL stove pipe. Only 2 layers to drill through, not 4. It won't fall off.

Last edited:
yeah you can drill above of the four layer where is just 2. i get used to it when running the tube stoves and when i installed the princess i bought a new telescoping double wall and i drill it . i think it helps to track your flue temp and mine never leak or i get any smell of smoke at all. CO/CO2 detector always reads 0. if you installed it correctly and drill the holes at the right size everything will be ok.

for me it is a good tool to have. i can see when i fire the stove from dead cold and i am having good draft to closed the door and the fire keeps going. i wait to see that needle star moving around 300 to 400df and closed the door. it just take minutes with a good fire. very helpful for me. mine sits about 18" above the stove.

I have one in the dvl above my bk. I purposely located it just below the overlap so that I only had two layers to drill through. Hold the drill level so that the dial is vertical and so that it won't fall out. It won't. Junk builds up on the probe and holds it in pretty well.

The probe is nice. I would do it again. You can read it from across the room.

+1 And the probe thermometer has a magnet to keep it in place.

I ended up installing it below the overlap. The highest I could install it was at 17.5 inches instead of 18. Not a big deal. Thanks for everyone's help. :) Any break in tips? This is my first time with a cat stove. Also I decided that I don't want to install the ash plug with the loop because I would rather shovel the ashes out. I don't want the shovel getting caught on the loop. Is it ok to run the stove with the bottom plate and flat plug in place?

Attachments

• DSC02427[1].JPG
    DSC02427[1].JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 336
  • DSC02409[1].JPG
    DSC02409[1].JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 348
I ended up installing it below the overlap. The highest I could install it was at 17.5 inches instead of 18. Not a big deal. Thanks for everyone's help. :) Any break in tips? This is my first time with a cat stove. Also I decided that I don't want to install the ash plug with the loop because I would rather shovel the ashes out. I don't want the shovel getting caught on the loop. Is it ok to run the stove with the bottom plate and flat plug in place?

Mine is my first cat stove also. I did three real small loads and follow the owner's manual instructions. burnt it on low like manual says.
the cat still going into the active zone and i just closed bypass and turn it to low minutes later. there is nothing you can do, the cat temp will climb but let it burn on low. about ash plug and plate i don't know what to say.
i am sure somebody else will give you a good tip of what to do. Anyway you always can scoop the ashes to one side and pick up them always leaving about 1-2 inches of ash. I heard it is a good thing leave some ashes in there.

Regards

Mine is my first cat stove also. I did three real small loads and follow the owner's manual instructions. burnt it on low like manual says.
the cat still going into the active zone and i just closed bypass and turn it to low minutes later. there is nothing you can do, the cat temp will climb but let it burn on low. about ash plug and plate i don't know what to say.
i am sure somebody else will give you a good tip of what to do. Anyway you always can scoop the ashes to one side and pick up them always leaving about 1-2 inches of ash. I heard it is a good thing leave some ashes in there.

Regards

Hi Isucet. Thanks for the break in info. It helps. I'm going to read the manual again before I make the first fire. Did the paint curing stink a lot? Yeah, I wish I could find an answer to the ash plug and plate. I made a separate thread hoping others can offer an answer. Good luck with your first cat stove. :)

I think it can take more than a few burn to the smell goes away. at least that was my experience. i also think that it is due to the sides and other part of the stove don't get those high temp as the top., making those areas longer to cure. i compare it to the other two tube stoves that i went thru that process.

but the smell become less and less. when you start to burn it hot that the cat gets real hot the temp on sides and other areas start curing in no time.
I have the princess and i use the ash plug to damp the ashes, for me is better cause i make less mess than when i shovel it. i think is just preferences.

I think it can take more than a few burn to the smell goes away. at least that was my experience. i also think that it is due to the sides and other part of the stove don't get those high temp as the top., making those areas longer to cure. i compare it to the other two tube stoves that i went thru that process.

but the smell become less and less. when you start to burn it hot that the cat gets real hot the temp on sides and other areas start curing in no time.
I have the princess and i use the ash plug to damp the ashes, for me is better cause i make less mess than when i shovel it. i think is just preferences.
Thanks Isucet for all the info. Will probably try to break mine in this week.

Thanks Isucet for all the info. Will probably try to break mine in this week.

Anytime just fire up and enjoy it like I am doing now. I got out of work and came straight to the ranch just to fire up cause is raining and temperatures are dropping in low forties. Family will be here soon and everything is good to go.lol

I love it.

So, is 18" above the stove top the ideal place to install the probe?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Should the little sleeve before the magnet go into the hole?

Yeah it should the hole in the outer wall needs to be a little bigger to allow for that. The sizes should be in the instructions.

Yeah it should the hole in the outer wall needs to be a little bigger to allow for that. The sizes should be in the instructions.
I lost the the item a few years ago, just found it without the instructions, online wasn't much help.

I lost the the item a few years ago, just found it without the instructions, online wasn't much help.

Ok you need a 1/4" hole through both walls. Then a slightly larger one through the outer wall. I dont remember the size off hand. I think i might have a probe thermometer in my truck though i will check in a few mins

Got it, perfect fit. Thanks for the quick reply.