Finally got my new splitter built

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Firewood Bandit

Minister of Fire
Jan 3, 2014
Western WIsconsin
3 years ago I wanted this builder to make me a splitter. He bought a new place and had to build a new shop and being a family man was unable to start building splitters again. I struggled along satisfactorily with a 22 Ton Fast cycle Iron and Oak Commercial unit. It was OK but this one is something special.

It has a # of features:
Folding log table to save about 20" of space
Folding tongue to save about 30" of space
30" stroke with a limiter to whatever you want it to be. For example if running 16", stop stroke at 19".
The hydro filter is the same one that goes on JD giant fertilizer machines and is rated for 125 GPM. The assembling goes all to the bottom of the tank and goes through a diffuser. The tank has two more sets of baffles that the fluid has to draw from the bottom. (heat rises)
Special dump valves to increase flow on return to around 50 GPM
Handles interestate speeds
Tons of storage DSCF0014.JPGDSCF0009.JPGDSCF0010.JPGDSCF0011.JPGDSCF0012.JPGDSCF0013.JPGDSCF0014.JPGDSCF0015.JPGDSCF0016.JPGDSCF0017.JPGDSCF0018.JPGDSCF0019.JPGDSCF0020.JPGDSCF0021.JPG

I like the slip down four way splitting wing, that's a nice touch.

Guess you lost me a little, "slip down".

The wedge is hydraulically adjustable. It is vitally important that a 4 way be adjustable so that it functions as a conventional wedge with rounds having large branches growing out of them.

That machine is sweet. Cycle time at 24” is what with those kind of flow rates???

Reactions: Firewood Bandit
Guess you lost me a little, "slip down".

The wedge is hydraulically adjustable. It is vitally important that a 4 way be adjustable so that it functions as a conventional wedge with rounds having large branches growing out of them.
Didn't realize it was hydraulic, I figured it was either up or down. Definitely a fine machine. Do you sell firewood?

That machine is sweet. Cycle time at 24” is what with those kind of flow rates???

Can't tell you exactly, It has a possible 30" stroke, right now the stroke limiter is set to stop it at 21". The other day I was counting Mississippi's and it was about 4.5 sec on split and quick on the return of 3. Since I am a one man band and I stack as it is split, I am only running 2640RPM so the pump is not even close to max flow either. (the hour meter doubles as a tach)

We need to see some videos of that bad boy in action.

Reactions: duramaxman05
What!? No padded seat or built in coffee maker? I'll wait for the next model that offers a few more options......or not. Looks like a really nice wood splitting machine. Hopefully you're splitting more than just 4 cords a year?

I do a fair amount. This is my exercise and past time in the Winter. When one cuts firewood all day you know it when retiring to the easy chair at 7pm. Got keep us retired people busy you know. DSCF0026.JPGDSCF0022.JPGDSCF0027.JPG

So it's safe to say there is no app to run it from your phone. ;lol

Ahh........NO.

You know some of these new appliances that are accessible from you phone, what is up with that? Why would you need to communicate with your toaster or refrigerator? Then people wonder why these crap out and you can't get the board that runs it.

Now that I am on a rant, how come toasters of today, don't work any better than those 40 years ago?::-)

I've heard that before, I am a dinosaur with that kind of stuff.
I will make you a deal. You bring it to my house and demonstrat it and I will video and post it.

Ahh........NO.

You know some of these new appliances that are accessible from you phone, what is up with that? Why would you need to communicate with your toaster or refrigerator? Then people wonder why these crap out and you can't get the board that runs it.

Now that I am on a rant, how come toasters of today, don't work any better than those 40 years ago?::-)
I don't have the answer to communicating with your appliances. As for the toaster I went thru a bunch of brands till I found Breville. Their countertop oven/toasters are also very good but both are pricey.
Down here in MA we still use an old POS Black and Decker that my wife had before we were dating 35 years ago. It just plain works and works well so neither of us have any reason to change it out or go drop 200 on a replacement.

Best place to get old (reliable) stuff like that is thrift stores.

The build quality of that machine appears to be top notch. Very nicely done.

Sent from my iToaster.

I will make you a deal. You bring it to my house and demonstrat it and I will video and post it.

OK, my first debut on video, bear with me:

Watch Beau the dog run off with splitter trash.;)

Reactions: duramaxman05
Looks like you have the auto cycle valve dialed in. Thanks for posting the video.

I always split by myself and stack as the splits come off the machine and don't let them hit the ground where they would have to be picked up. The motor is only running 2660RPM so the cycle time could be much quicker.

Reactions: salecker