• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CodyR4

Jan 17, 2018
North Carolina
Hi, I have decided to install my wood stove through the wall due to fear of asbestos being in my ceiling, my house is old af. So a couple questions I will provide pictures, does my stove already have a heat shield? Can I go through the wall DIRECTLY beside the window? If my wood stove does have a heat shield on it (the shell that’s around it) I only need to keep it 24 inches from the wall and window correct? Can I run it up the side of my house where the over hang is? Or does it have to be on the side where my roof arches?

Attachments

• CF364FAD-7FEC-4DB1-B1A3-0F8A2C48E8CA.jpeg
    CF364FAD-7FEC-4DB1-B1A3-0F8A2C48E8CA.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 250
  • AD9072BF-99F6-4269-84F8-0575B5CE15A8.jpeg
    AD9072BF-99F6-4269-84F8-0575B5CE15A8.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 278
  • F4A982CB-9E20-47E2-9777-C765005309EB.jpeg
    F4A982CB-9E20-47E2-9777-C765005309EB.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 237
Hi, I have decided to install my wood stove through the wall due to fear of asbestos being in my ceiling, my house is old af. So a couple questions I will provide pictures, does my stove already have a heat shield? Can I go through the wall DIRECTLY beside the window? If my wood stove does have a heat shield on it (the shell that’s around it) I only need to keep it 24 inches from the wall and window correct? Can I run it up the side of my house where the over hang is? Or does it have to be on the side where my roof arches?
Yes it has a heat sheild but unless it has a ul tag giving you the required clearances it is 36". That can be reduced to 12" with a proper ventilated heat shield.

Yes you can run up next to the window. And it doesnt matter if it goes up on tge gable end or not. But regardless you will need to go up to 2' above anything within 10'.

Yes it has a heat sheild but unless it has a ul tag giving you the required clearances it is 36". That can be reduced to 12" with a proper ventilated heat shield.

Yes you can run up next to the window. And it doesnt matter if it goes up on tge gable end or not. But regardless you will need to go up to 2' above anything within 10'.

Okay, it says the stove has to be 24’’ away.

Last edited:

Above anything, even trees? I have the wood line immediately beside the side I want to put it on. Also how high can I go up with the chimney on the inside so I have to buy less A pipe for the outside?

Out side it is class A all the way....you only have to meet the roof requirement...not the trees...the Class A is the most exspensive part of the install...on the bright side of things you only have to do it once and you can sleep at night...

Last edited:
Out side it is class A all the way....you only have to meet the roof requirement...not the trees...the Class A is the most expensive part of the install...on the bright side of things you only have to do it once and you can sleep at night...how do you know you have a asbestos issue?

Out side it is class A all the way....you only have to meet the roof requirement...not the trees...the Class A is the most expensive part of the install...on the bright side of things you only have to do it once and you can sleep at night...

Yeah but can I go up high with the black pipe on the inside, and go through the wall higher up so I will have to use less class A on the outside?

Yeah but can I go up high with the black pipe on the inside, and go through the wall higher up so I will have to use less class A on the outside?
You can go as high as the clearance requirement for the black allows...I dont know your ceiling height but this will probably at most save you one section...

Reactions: CodyR4
Yeah you can go higher but you need to stay atleast 18" down from the ceiling. But i would go to 20 if it was me

Reactions: CodyR4
How big is that room Cody? Are you going to be able to maintain 18-20 inch clearance from that vinyl window?