Is this an old Blaze King Princess and what is wrong?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
UPDATE:
LL seemed all hepped up about getting the True North stove at such a good price but then did not get back to me.
He replied to my request for his consent to install it (and a stovepipe and chimney) but he is not going to spend a dime. His email included complaints about me, denial that there is any problem with the stove as it has been good for 4 years, then said is considering having the cabin sit vacant for the winter because I am not a suitable tenant.

UPDATE:
LL seemed all hepped up about getting the True North stove at such a good price but then did not get back to me.
He replied to my request for his consent to install it (and a stovepipe and chimney) but he is not going to spend a dime. His email included complaints about me, denial that there is any problem with the stove as it has been good for 4 years, then said is considering having the cabin sit vacant for the winter because I am not a suitable tenant.
From what you have said sadly that's what I expected. I work with lots of landlords who act like really nice people. Untill it's time for them to spend money on one of their run down properties.

UPDATE:

I am sorry to hear this. You have my sympathy. I hope you have a better year ahead!

Which would you do?

a) install the stove asap, along with stovepipe & chimney because temperatures are headed to minus 30, then pull it out to sell or take it with you if/when you move or get evicted (see post above). Assuming you can install it yourself or find someone who can help, because contractors and the landlord won't help you or are not booking 8 weeks ahead.

b) vacate asap and go couch surfing, return the stove asap

c)l take a break, leave things as they are and go couch surfing (risking pipes freezing and flooding without tenant insurance etc.)

d) Do nothing for a while to see what happens next and risk major freeze

e) Put everything in your storage locker, including the stove and go walkabout

f) start a new vice such as drinking and rabble rousing and try to drown the stress out

g) Do nothing and pray for a sign from God

h) other (please explain)

I am sorry, but those are things I can't help you with. It depends on so many factors, and support structures around you, that we can't make that choice for you.

We can point out unsafe issues and we did.

As you seem to be religious, is there a church community you might ask for help, advice, or support? Is there a town office for housing trouble? Not to fight your LL but to ask for advice and explore what options are feasible (and what not).
You mentioned couch surfing. Can you discuss your situation with those people you had in mind? To assess options for feasibility?

I do sincerely wish you well. I strongly suggest you seek help that is broader than technical stove help as here.

Reactions: clennox
Which would you do?

a) install the stove asap, along with stovepipe & chimney because temperatures are headed to minus 30, then pull it out to sell or take it with you if/when you move or get evicted (see post above). Assuming you can install it yourself or find someone who can help, because contractors and the landlord won't help you or are not booking 8 weeks ahead.

b) vacate asap and go couch surfing, return the stove asap

c)l take a break, leave things as they are and go couch surfing (risking pipes freezing and flooding without tenant insurance etc.)

d) Do nothing for a while to see what happens next and risk major freeze

e) Put everything in your storage locker, including the stove and go walkabout

f) start a new vice such as drinking and rabble rousing and try to drown the stress out

g) Do nothing and pray for a sign from God

h) other (please explain)
Other - pay for a WETT inspection and/or talk to local fire dept. and get written verification that the wood stove is unsafe.

ps I just learned I have that by law I have to get his consent to install in writing. A bureaucat at the Residential Tenancy Branch kept insisting that i start wit paperwork when we have a major deep freeze on its way. If I don't get resolution soon, I might not be able to get out her to stay with friends because we will be snowed/frozen in.

I am sorry, but those are things I can't help you with. It depends on so many factors, and support structures around you, that we can't make that choice for you.

We can point out unsafe issues and we did.

As you seem to be religious, is there a church community you might ask for help, advice, or support? Is there a town office for housing trouble? Not to fight your LL but to ask for advice and explore what options are feasible (and what not).
You mentioned couch surfing. Can you discuss your situation with those people you had in mind? To assess options for feasibility?

I do sincerely wish you well. I strongly suggest you seek help that is broader than technical stove help as here.
Yes...agreed. Have already reached out to a few church people here but I've only lived in this area for 2 months so not a lot of local connections. Plus, they are all busy with Christmas duties. I have asked one couple if they want to meet up for Scrabbe later today or tomorrow and if they say yes i will mention that I might need a place to stay for a while until this gets sorted. One couple are already 'door is always open types' but it is small place and I'd only hav e a cot in the living beside the tv that blares pretty loudly. We are going to talk later today. I called Legalshield bu they are closee today so I sent an email to open an intake and maybe they will contact me early next week. Next pu, i wll contact "Together Against Poverty" (TAPS) advocacy and the local fire department. I think the next step is likely to get a WEtT inspection and h) other - start looking for another place asap. Have faith that even the housing market is insane, there will be a place for me. Am not tied to this town...can go anywhere pretty much.

I agree with the inspector; for all anyone knows we are a bunch of bozos on the net. Having a written assessment by a person of authority (hoping they are conscientious about things, not all inspectors are) will help with anything, be it authorities or helpful neighbors (being able to show there is a real safety issue).

here in mass if you lived here and installed that stove it is the owners stove at that point and you can't remove it. so don't install it unless you can take the loss

Yup, find a new place, stop fighting loosing battles. Set yourself up for success. I could have guessed at your First post this would not end well. Start over & learn some lessons here.

This group has been amazing...lots of my questions answered. It is going to take me a lot of time to find a new place. Housing prices (rental and purchase) keep going up and up. In the meantime, I am preparing to bug out and go couch surfing if the hydro goes out here. I guess I just bought myself a nice woodstove for future use.

This group has been amazing...lots of my questions answered. It is going to take me a lot of time to find a new place. Housing prices (rental and purchase) keep going up and up. In the meantime, I am preparing to bug out and go couch surfing if the hydro goes out here. I guess I just bought myself a nice woodstove for future use.
yeah your landlord will probably try to aquire your new stove. (for free). If he can't somehow get it from you, he may offer u $200 for it. You made a mistake committing to early to purchase this. There was no way he was going to pay for a new chimney for you. He may do it for the next tenant though, but probably not.

His plan is to put natural gas in at some point in the near future but before that it was supposed to be propane. Apparently the propane guy never came through with a quote. Maybe he foresaw issues getting permits due to this cabin being illegal. My rental contract says the source of heat is wood converting to propane. In my landlord's mind, the current stove is 'adequate' and the gas will be installed at some point. It's moot now. Currently the temperature is -21 C which is almost - 6 F. There are no inspectors or installers to found and it is the holiday season. Without someone to declare the stove 'inadequate' I don't have much of a leg to stand on.

Last edited:
Specs - am not seeing recommended chimney height in them. Somebody asked about the height earlier

here is the overview:

EPA Certified Emissions 1.4 grams per hour
LHV Tested Efficiency 1 80.4%
HHV Tested Efficiency 2 72.6%
EPA BTU Output 3 13,084 - 17,623 btu/hr
Peak BTU/Hr Output 4 24,400 btu/hr.
Maximum Wood Length 14 inches
Ideal Wood Length 12 inches
Fuel Seasoned Cord wood

1 Weighted Average Lower Heating Value (LHV) efficiency as tested using CSA B415 Performance testing of solid-fuel-burning heating appliances. LHV assumes the moisture is already in a vapour state so there is no loss of energy

2 Weighted Average Higher Heating Value (HHV) efficiency as tested using CSA B415 Performance testing of solid-fuel-burning heating appliances. HHV includes the energy required to vaporize the water in the fuel

3 The range of BTU outputs is based on efficiency using CSA B415 Performance testing of solid-fuel-burning heating appliances and burn rates from the low and high EPA tests using Douglas Fir dimensional lumber.

4 The Peak BTU/hr is based on effiiency using CSA B415 Performance testing of solid-fuel-burning heating appliances, the Maximum one hour High burn rate from the High Burn EPA test and the BTU content of cord wood (8600 btu/lb).

Until you can move out, I'd decrease the size of the habitable area to heat. Pitch a tent inside. A tent will hold a surprising amount of heat, especially if there are blankets/pads isolating you from a cold floor and there isn't any wind hitting it... like if a house was around the tent.

Since you have internet, watch the survival channels. Look what they can do with a tarp and a rope. Get creative.

Until you can move out, I'd decrease the size of the habitable area to heat. Pitch a tent inside. A tent will hold a surprising amount of heat, especially if there are blankets/pads isolating you from a cold floor and there isn't any wind hitting it... like if a house was around the tent.

Since you have internet, watch the survival channels. Look what they can do with a tarp and a rope. Get creative.

I got my wife an electric poncho thing on Amazon. Her office/computer lair is in the basement near the heat pump water heater, so it gets cold in the winter.

That thing is very nice and warm, and only burns 160w on high (roughly 10% of what an electric space heater uses). She can't stand to wear it on any setting above medium, though. Those things are $30-$50 on Amazon.

Also, this is the first stove thread I've ever read that ended up with people handing out advice on pitching a tent in their house. 😆

Option F may very well get you a warm place to stay and 3 square meals a day.

Reactions: clennox and Rob711