Jotul F500v3 burning questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pbois334

Sep 29, 2014
RI
So I just replaced my 15 year old Oslo 500 w a new 500. I’m not sure it’s operating correctly. The internal temp gauge reads 1200 and then I shut down the external Air damper. I can see the honeycomb cat bright red and the reburner circulating. It appears that the stove is running too hot while turned down? Or is this how the new stoves run? Here is a pick after I turned down the air flow Lever

0C34D920-F877-4DDE-92B1-35C61A4170B4.jpeg

Looks ok to me. A 1200 cat temp is within range. What are your stove top temps?

My stovetop reads about 500 when the internal temp reads 1300. I have never seen the top over 550 but the 1300 internal scares me. am I overthinking this?

My stovetop reads about 500 when the internal temp reads 1300. I have never seen the top over 550 but the 1300 internal scares me. am I overthinking this?
This is about what mine does. Though I'm a little uneasy about the 1300 combustor temp too...

So I just replaced my 15 year old Oslo 500 w a new 500. I’m not sure it’s operating correctly. The internal temp gauge reads 1200 and then I shut down the external Air damper. I can see the honeycomb cat bright red and the reburner circulating. It appears that the stove is running too hot while turned down? Or is this how the new stoves run? Here is a pick after I turned down the air flow Lever

View attachment 303453
Cover the two unregulated air holes in the Ash House with magnets. Read this thread:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/new-jotul-f500-v3-owner.190449/

For what it's worth, I just looked at the manual again and it specifies that the catalyst is safe to operate up to 1600F but should never exceed 1825F which seems insanely hot to me. So 1300F shouldn't be an issue.