• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MikeNEPA

Aug 3, 2018
Northeast PA
Are there any Olympia Ventis HE250 opinions or reviews out there? I been scouring the internet and can not find anything. I have an old 1985 Preway fireplace insert and this past winter, it proved to be extremely inefficient to provide much heat while I was stuck without electric for a week and a half. My house struggled to maintain temps in the mid to high 50s. The until is also very old and the panels and bottom are all cracked.

I've gotten two quotes for a zero clearance fireplaces. One was for a Kozy Z42 and the other was a Olympia Ventis HE250. I am getting a third fireplace shop to come out next week for a third quote before I make any final decision, and they too work with the Olympia Ventis HE250. I believe the reason they are doing the Olympia Ventis HE250 is because the company and their warehouse is located about 45 minutes from here.

Anyone have any install photos of the Olympia Ventis HE250, reviews, feedback, known issues, or anything? I can find a ton of info on the Kozy but nothing at all on the Olympia Ventis HE250, and I am generally good at finding info.

It's made by SBI. Looks like an Osburn Stratford and Valcourt FP10 with a contemporary style door and trim. SBI has a good track record and is a big company with a wide product line. Should be ok.

It's made by SBI. Looks like an Osburn Stratford and Valcourt FP10 with a contemporary style door and trim. SBI has a good track record and is a big company with a wide product line. Should be ok.
Thanks. How do you think it compare to the Kozy z42?

Here are the two units I am looking at:

Olympia Ventis HE250:

2m5jajo.jpg

Glass surface size (viewing area): 24 3/8″ x 12″
BTU: Up to 75,000 BTU per hour

Kozy Z42:
2hremgg.png

Glass surface size (viewing area): 29-5/8" x 15-13/16"
BTU: up to 60,000 BTU per hour

Thy are both rated to heat up to 2100 sq feet, and have burn times up to 9 hours. I kind of like the look of the Kozy better, as the glass viewing area is close to 16 inches high vs the 12 inches of the Ventis HE250.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the Kozy z42 installed. The woman who runs their store (wife of the installer), showed me photos of two they just installed in the last couple of weeks. Note, they do have have a mason right now, so the stone tile (actually the same tile and color - just different lighting) they used is the most complex the installer will do until they find a new mason. Also, the owners opted for the double door, I want a single large door for more viewing area.

30x8py8.jpg 10z9wkn.jpg

From the online reviews, this place seems to be be very quick (2-3 days for full install with tile work), but they are ultra slow when warranty work needs to be done on new units. From what most people said, once you sign the contract, they are there very quick to get out to your house and install is done fast, but if there is a problem, they make you wait a few weeks until they come and fix it.

Both the Kozy and the SBI line of fireplaces get good reviews from owners. Either will get the job done.

There are a couple Kozy Z42 review here:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/ratings.php
This is the first time I have seen an SBI fireplace under the Ventis label. Search the forums for Valcourt FP10 Lafayette, Enerzone Solution 2.5ZC and Osburn Stratford fireplace postings for a comparison. They are all SBI 2.5 variants.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/efficient-fireplace-without-blower.90237/
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...-stratford-or-horizon-fp.164599/#post-2211719

FWIW, look at the dates of the reviews. It is pretty common for folks to wait until fall before ordering and having an install. And they don't find/report issues until it gets cold which is right when stove stores and their crew is the busiest. If that is the case take the slow response comment in context with the time of the year.

Reactions: MikeNEPA
There are several options in this size range. See what dealers are in your area. Look at RSF and Astria too if they are sold locally.

I got my third quote today, and they also do the FireplaceX 42 Apex. The person who came to do the measurements and check everything out to do a quote felt the 42 Apex was far too large for my living room.

Here is my current PreWay Fireplace in my livingroom.
Mike-Fireplace.jpg Mike-Fireplace2.jpg

This is the chase:

Mike-Chase.jpg

That all said, I think I am really leaning towards the Kozy K42. It has a large viewing glass that is within 1" height and width of my current Preway opening/viewing area for the fireplace. 29-5/8" x 15-13/16" vs ~ 30" x 17" for my Preway. The Olympia is just 12" x 24.5" Too small.

Once I pick something and get it installed, I will take lots of pics, and post some videos in the autumn once I start burning for heat. I am heading to the fireplace shop to get my quote and look at the 42 Apex and Kozy again. But, as I said, the installer thinks the 42 Apex might be just too big of a unit for that area.

The quote I got for the Kozy Z42 came in $1600 less than the other place that quoted me for the same unit, install, and masonry work. I was at the farm store and the guy said the other place that was more is notorious/famous with the locals in the area for significantly charging a lot as they feel the majority of their customers are from the city and are vacationers and have lots of money and don't question the high prices.

I am going with the guy who was $1600 less today, and going to take that difference and put it towards them also install a propane (gas) heater in the basement that I will use to heat the (fully above ground) basement and garage in the winter. The parts were ~ $1050 for the 15K BTU propane heater, $94 for the digital thermostat, and $234 for the blower accessory for the heater.

Waiting for the official quote. Glad I went with getting quotes from three different places. Once I get the quote, I am going to carefully look it over and if all is what he said verbally today, I will be going in ASAP to sign a contract with them to install both in mid-September.

I also picked the stone: http://www.eldoradostone.com/products/stacked-stone/
The one I am getting will be the Santa Fe. I think that would look good in my living room (I hope ;lol)

Living Room now:
Mike-Fireplace2.jpg

New stone for wall around the fireplace:
Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 10.28.16 PM.png

I also now know why they were steering me away from the 42 Apex... it is a gigantic humongous unit. Also, if anyone is curious, the glass is about 12-13" high in the Apex, and about 23" wide. I could not believe how big the unit would be inside the wall, what is viewable is relatively small, but the unit itself is massively tall and was about as tall as me, I think possibly taller. I wish I took a photo. I think you could stack two Kozy Z42s units on top of each other to get the height of the actual unit. It even looked like it was a lot bigger than the Olympia HE350, which was sitting next to it.

Last edited:
Be careful cheaper many times is not better and in fact by the time its done the cheapest quote many times isnt the cheapest job. When more reputable guys price a job we try to factor in all the worst case scenario variables and give you a price that is firm and will be the same as your final bill. Many others dont and add to that quoted price quite a bit before its done

Be careful cheaper many times is not better and in fact by the time its done the cheapest quote many times isnt the cheapest job. When more reputable guys price a job we try to factor in all the worst case scenario variables and give you a price that is firm and will be the same as your final bill. Many others dont and add to that quoted price quite a bit before its done

The cheaper place is a chain of fireplace stores, which there are three of them now in Northeast PA. This store is their third location, which opened a year ago in this area. Their reviews online are all positive.

I am bad at Photoshop, but wanted a general idea of color and look:

Mike-Fireplace2 copy.jpg

I was curious what it would look like with TV and mantel o_O
Mike-Fireplace2 copy copy.jpg

Once I pick something and get it installed, I will take lots of pics, and post some videos in the autumn once I start burning for heat. I am heading to the fireplace shop to get my quote and look at the 42 Apex and Kozy again. But, as I said, the installer thinks the 42 Apex might be just too big of a unit for that area.
I am looking at the 42 Apex. I am doing a full gut of my old fireplace and looking to put in a zero clearance. I like the 42 apex. I came on the forum to look for feedback on it.

I am looking at the 42 Apex. I am doing a full gut of my old fireplace and looking to put in a zero clearance. I like the 42 apex. I came on the forum to look for feedback on it.

I am going to the fireplace store tomorrow to discuss some final things with the contract and if all good, sign a contract and put a deposit down. If I remember, I will take a photo to the 42 Apex, so you can get an idea of the size.

I signed the contract and put a deposit on the Kozy z42, Eldorado Stacked Stone, limestone mantle. I also bought and have them installing a 20k BTU propane wall unit in the basement to keep the basement and garage warm enough to prevent pipes freezing and not have to rely on a stinky kerosene heater.

I signed the contract and put a deposit on the Kozy z42, Eldorado Stacked Stone, limestone mantle. I also bought and have them installing a 20k BTU propane wall unit in the basement to keep the basement and garage warm enough to prevent pipes freezing and not have to rely on a stinky kerosene heater.
I hope that is a vented propane unit

I am debating mounting a TV on the wall above the fireplace, going with a projector and retractable screen above the fireplace, or not mounting anything above the fireplace.

Opinions? Ceiling is 96 inches at that spot, I believe the mantel is going to be about 54-56 inches off the floor, giving me about 36" for a TV, which is going to be close to the ceiling.

I also got nice stacked stone, so a TV is going to hide a decent potion of it, no?

Old set up:
23hvmty.jpg

Awesome. Goodluck with it, and definitely make a thread and post photos. I am going to do a whole new thread when this is installed with photos of the rip out, the unit before it goes in, and during the install process and the post install pics. I will also do a couple of videos throughout the winter showing the the house at 57-60 degrees when I get home from work, starting the fire, and the thermostats at 15 mins, 30 mins, 1 hour, and maybe an hour and a half after starting the fire and what the temps are without using any other heating sources.

Leave it. It will be too high if you move it. Honestly I would put a corner wall mount and elevate it where it currently is some.