Progress Hybrid move

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inclined_plane#History

I really got a lot of experience watching the guys (at the distributor I eventually took over) moving Tarms. This started in about 1980, and by the time we took over the company in the mid (distributor) and late (importer) 80's, we got to be very good at it.

Most of the time we moved stuff down, but we did have to sometimes move up. I remember taking a couple Coalbrookdale Darbys' (700 lbs) up the stairs, as well as a Volcano furnace. Most were done with regular appliance trucks and 3 guys. But when the weight hits about 800 or higher, that's when you have to bring in the chains, come-alongs, metal plates, heavy oak boards, etc.

I need to write down this story if it's not somewhere already, but I once was involved with the FBI, who was watching a guy who bought a Tarm from me. Seems he was using the City of Baltimore's purchase orders to outfit his new house! So, I deliver a 2,000 lb boiler to the house all by my lonesome and put it in the basement, which was accessed by a stairway inside the garage. I then roll it to the far end of a long ranch house basement.

Months later the FBI shows up at my store with a carload of G-men of all stripes. Long story, but they had pics (100's of them!) of me delivering it! How the heck???
Once they found out I was innocent, we all went out to lunch. The G-men said to me "how the heck did you get that in there? We have to get it out and have no idea how we are going to do it".

I was wondering when we were going to get out the slide rules and start doing the physics formulas! :)

Great G-man story!

Reactions: charly
View attachment 113077 View attachment 113078 View attachment 113079 View attachment 113080 View attachment 113081 View attachment 113082 View attachment 113083 View attachment 113084 One great wife and a well built ramp allowed the wife and I to move our 700 lb PH onto it's new hearth... So just the two of us made it happen working smart... Shimmed the pallet, removed the dolly and now it's down on the original pallet.. I lifted the stove as the wife added and then removed wood to get the dolly out and then set the stove back down on it's original pallet.. No damage to anything... They way I live to work.. taking pride... Next I'll start putting the stove together and install some furniture slides under the legs to be able to fine tune 700lbs into it's exact plumb position, after all, it is a Woodstock...;)
Man, you're getting to be an expert at moving these heavy loads. Nice job !

21 years is a good run...........sure got your money's worth.

Yeah. Wood eater par excellance but I miss that sucker. I could load it and be in bed in twenty minutes. Loaded myself. >> But no regrets. The 30-NC out heats it and burns half the wood. First year with the 30 my wife remarked "This place has never been this warm."

And I don't have a chimney that looks like this anymore. And this is actually a pic of my chimney.

tarcreosote.jpg

Reactions: raybonz and charly
Yeah. Wood eater par excellance but I miss that sucker. I could load it and be in bed in twenty minutes. Loaded myself. >> But no regrets. The 30-NC out heats it and burns half the wood. First year with the 30 my wife remarked "This place has never been this warm."

And I don't have a chimney that looks like this anymore. And this is actually a pic of my chimney.

View attachment 113107
Yeah, the good old days weren't really all that good when you come to think about it.

Before we changed the sig line limit, which was needed for ease of reading the forum pages, mine contained "The good old days, weren't."

Don't try this at home, but before I put in the liner I set off a chimney fire to get that stuff out of there. It wasn't that chimney's first rodeo.

View attachment 113077 View attachment 113078 View attachment 113079 View attachment 113080 View attachment 113081 View attachment 113082 View attachment 113083 View attachment 113084 One great wife and a well built ramp allowed the wife and I to move our 700 lb PH onto it's new hearth... So just the two of us made it happen working smart... Shimmed the pallet, removed the dolly and now it's down on the original pallet.. I lifted the stove as the wife added and then removed wood to get the dolly out and then set the stove back down on it's original pallet.. No damage to anything... They way I live to work.. taking pride... Next I'll start putting the stove together and install some furniture slides under the legs to be able to fine tune 700lbs into it's exact plumb position, after all, it is a Woodstock...;)

Nice job charly ! From one Progress Hybrid mover to another................That's a heavy sucker , huh?!

I like the pic of what looks like a runaway stove moving toward your dog and he's running for dear life .....heheh

Before we changed the sig line limit, which was needed for ease of reading the forum pages, mine contained "The good old days, weren't."

You have a whole 'nother line, buddy....and more characters too! Easy fit unless something is not functioning...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inclined_plane#History

I really got a lot of experience watching the guys (at the distributor I eventually took over) moving Tarms. This started in about 1980, and by the time we took over the company in the mid (distributor) and late (importer) 80's, we got to be very good at it.

Most of the time we moved stuff down, but we did have to sometimes move up. I remember taking a couple Coalbrookdale Darbys' (700 lbs) up the stairs, as well as a Volcano furnace. Most were done with regular appliance trucks and 3 guys. But when the weight hits about 800 or higher, that's when you have to bring in the chains, come-alongs, metal plates, heavy oak boards, etc.

I need to write down this story if it's not somewhere already, but I once was involved with the FBI, who was watching a guy who bought a Tarm from me. Seems he was using the City of Baltimore's purchase orders to outfit his new house! So, I deliver a 2,000 lb boiler to the house all by my lonesome and put it in the basement, which was accessed by a stairway inside the garage. I then roll it to the far end of a long ranch house basement.

Months later the FBI shows up at my store with a carload of G-men of all stripes. Long story, but they had pics (100's of them!) of me delivering it! How the heck???
Once they found out I was innocent, we all went out to lunch. The G-men said to me "how the heck did you get that in there? We have to get it out and have no idea how we are going to do it".
Looks like my ramp idea goes way back in history... Did you use pipe as rollers to move your tarm? I see a lot of people did Tarm moves on here using pipe.. Wife works as a civilian for the State Troopers , 34 years, BCI and SIU... You can run but you can't hide ;). Amazing that you'll never see them watching...

Nice job charly ! From one Progress Hybrid mover to another................That's a heavy sucker , huh?!

I like the pic of what looks like a runaway stove moving toward your dog and he's running for dear life .....heheh
Your not kidding , heavy... As the wife and I were pushing it up the ramp, all I could picture is one of the dolly wheels failing and the stove tipping off the ramp, but the pallet would hit before it really went anywhere.. I figured I got the Fireview off the Hearth and out to the back of my house,, no reason we shouldn't be able to get the PH back in.. I think the Fireview is about 525 and the PH about 700... So I figured being 175 lbs heavier we could still move it with just the 2 of us... I'm just glad I made the ramp with a long low angle or it would have never happened with just 2 people.. Be a heck of a stove to watch get out of control on a move... Now I'm thinking with all that weight,,, she's going to be one nice heater... Just sided the whole house, put good quality insulation board under the siding...guys butted it up tight and getting the better quality stuff it doesn't shrink and pull away at the joints, plus in the same stove area and back room I got rid of a picture window, and replaced with two new double hung windows plus removed a big old sliding glass door in the room were the stove sat before the move, again one new DH window replaced that.. I can tell a big difference in here just using my Esse Cook stove... Maybe the Fireview would have cut the mustard now.. I figure with the PH we'll be warm in below zero weather here, I'll take that and hey, if she keeps us warm with just a big coal bed, I'll take that too..

We used:
1. The truck - which was a "coffin" type truck with a heavy frame built up around the bed and an i-beam on top with a chain hoist and roller attached to it. This was quite handy in many situation....or at minimum to get the boiler off the truck and onto the dollies.
2. Heavy oak dollies - custom made with a certain wheel arrangement. I think it was two in the center and one on each end and all of them would not touch the ground at one. This allowed for easier turning of them.
3. Oak boards - very very handy - good ones, about 1" thick by 10" by 14' long.
4. Sheet metal - fairly thick, might have been 1/16th or thicker, but really strong - this often used for transitions over thresholds, etc.
5. Rollers - instead of pipe, we used solid stock - it might have been 1".
6. A large johnson bar or lever bar (not a crowbar).

That combo can rig just about anything. The Tarms had a lifting eye welded to the top of them, so that really helped.

A lot of it is experience and confidence. For example, I knew that I could singlehandedly tip a 1100 lb Tarm to one side and remove one of two dollies, then lower the side to hit the floor - then angle it more and remove the other dolly.

Main thing is to always plan an escape route. Never, if possible, put yourself between the weight and something else.

Reactions: raybonz
We used:
1. The truck - which was a "coffin" type truck with a heavy frame built up around the bed and an i-beam on top with a chain hoist and roller attached to it. This was quite handy in many situation....or at minimum to get the boiler off the truck and onto the dollies.
2. Heavy oak dollies - custom made with a certain wheel arrangement. I think it was two in the center and one on each end and all of them would not touch the ground at one. This allowed for easier turning of them.
3. Oak boards - very very handy - good ones, about 1" thick by 10" by 14' long.
4. Sheet metal - fairly thick, might have been 1/16th or thicker, but really strong - this often used for transitions over thresholds, etc.
5. Rollers - instead of pipe, we used solid stock - it might have been 1".
6. A large johnson bar or lever bar (not a crowbar).

That combo can rig just about anything. The Tarms had a lifting eye welded to the top of them, so that really helped.

A lot of it is experience and confidence. For example, I knew that I could singlehandedly tip a 1100 lb Tarm to one side and remove one of two dollies, then lower the side to hit the floor - then angle it more and remove the other dolly.

Main thing is to always plan an escape route. Never, if possible, put yourself between the weight and something else.
I installed over 1500 electric motors on a job at the NYS Empire Plaza.. New energy efficient motors from 1hp - 100 hp.. All three phase stuff.. Anyways we had a really cool trolly set up with adjustable legs , aluminum I beam, trolly and hoist.. We had some tight areas getting out the 100 hp motors.. We would have to move, set up again to get just one motor out at times around all the water pipes etc. After using the trolly I wish I was a fabricator and welder.. I think there would be a big market for a trolly system that has adjustable legs that you pin to your required height and an aluminum I beam with a trolly set up, just made for moving wood stoves... Ours looked like a big swing set on the job side. Top of the leg bracket was boxed steel that slid over the I beam, with a big tee handle and set screw so you can adjust the distance that the two sets of legs were apart.. I just think there would be a market for a nice compact trolly system for moving woodstoves... Hey even rent it out!

That is not how you move the 750lb Progress Hybrid! THIS IS how you do it: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...problem-progress-hyrbrid-install-pics.101580/

;)
Boy do I remember that move! That certainly gets the trophy... all I can say is you had to be relieved once the fork lift had it on the 3 rd floor... Got my flue switched around, going to be a top vent and my legs all on.. Very clever set up how Woodstock designed the pallet to come apart in sections.. and even use the wood as shims for the back legs to tilt the stove up, then the pallet slides out... Have to wait for the wife to get home, can't do that move myself.. Going to shim the back legs close so I'll maybe not have to lift the stove as high to get the pallet out.. they recommend 3 people and there's just the 2 of us , so trying to work smart.. It's a ball lifting half the stove up yourself..!!!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Finally had the wife slide the pallet out while I tipped the stove back... then she slid the furniture slides under before the front legs came down... she then took the boards out from under the back legs as I tipped the stove forward , slipping furniture slides under the legs before setting it back down.. Now I can slide her as I need to fine tune her to the exact spot she needs to be.. Thanks to Woodstock's ingenuity on making a pallet come apart in stages so as to making it easy to install the legs while the stove hangs in the air.. Worked out great! Old adjustable Excel pipe is about an inch too long too work;sick.. Have a new section ordered, it will be here Monday or Tuesday... should be doing my break in fires next week.. Going to get the stove into place with the pipe, then install the rest of the bottom parts to the stove.. Those iron parts, bottom grate, ash lip, ash pan, etc are all another 30 plus lbs.. No sense sliding that extra weight around on the furniture slides.. Side of the stove is just ahead of my side walls , so my side clearances should be fine. I'll ckeck the walls with an IR gun anyways..

Progress Hybrid hearth pictures 007.JPG Progress Hybrid hearth pictures 006.JPGProgress Hybrid hearth pictures 008.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost there Charley! It must be nice to soapstone and wrought iron on the hearth again! It looks great!

I can't wait to hear how it performs for you.

Sorry for the 1/2 hijack, but you gave me the reason to write the story out....
https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/a-boiler-the-fbi-and-i/
What a story! How depressing that the boiler had to come back out! Ugh! As far as them watching you... Years ago working as a Harley Tech we had undercover State Police bring their personal bikes in and also undercover work bikes for service... The one friend of mine was telling me that at times they go to extremes to watch... One person they watched for days,, all from an abandon refrigerator on his property,,, a little hole cut in the side , a few ventilation holes and a small seat and a pee bottle...just another day in their line of work.. Hey just think, now you have new friends who know your a good honest business man ;)

>>> Sorry for the 1/2 hijack, but you gave me the reason to write the story out...

RE: Webbie

That's a great story. Amazes me how anyone can tackle moving 1800lbs of anything into a house and down stairs and all of that. Having experience and the right tools for the job is what makes it possible I suppose.

I also enjoyed the history of the company. I ride through Conway all the time, as taking the back way out to Bubs on my motorcycle, going west to east on 116 through Conway down to Bub's is one of my fav rides! :) I have also been through Lyme NH a few times, as I love riding up there and have stayed in the Wells River VT/Woodsville NH area overnight and then run down to Mass via many of those gorgeous roads down there!

Loved the G-man story! It would make a great short story for a talented writer. Goes to show that chiseling public funds isn't a new idea! :)||

Thanks for the story!

Well did my first break in fire today... 55 degrees out , no draft issues at all. In fact after 15 minutes I shut the draft 1/2 way.. Lit the paper and shut the door, everything just took right off.. Ash Pan install , ash lip all done with precision from the factory.. Everything aligned up prefect. They even use a roller bearing for the ash pan mechanism..No cutting corners on this stove.. Woodstock made sure everything fit perfect , even down the the heat shields that go underneath front and rear... Excellent instructions as well... Flue gases reached 300 and stove top temps on the cast iron right next to the flue collar reached 180... I'm thinking of doing 2 more easy fires before a let her solo... After all , she's going to heat me here for a very long time... I couldn't believe how close the kept the tolerances for example the front ash lip... That bolts underneath with two bolts going up through two cast arms.. No slop, yet were the front meets the stove, I couldn't believe how close they matched the angle.. Great job!

Progress Hybrid asssembly and breakin fire 005.JPG Progress Hybrid asssembly and breakin fire 016.JPG Progress Hybrid asssembly and breakin fire 017.JPG Progress Hybrid asssembly and breakin fire 024.JPG Progress Hybrid asssembly and breakin fire 040.JPG Progress Hybrid asssembly and breakin fire 041.JPG Progress Hybrid asssembly and breakin fire 036.JPG Progress Hybrid asssembly and breakin fire 043.JPG Progress Hybrid asssembly and breakin fire 050.JPG Progress Hybrid asssembly and breakin fire 051.JPG

Well did my first break in fire today... 55 degrees out , no draft issues at all. In fact after 15 minutes I shut the draft 1/2 way.. Lit the paper and shut the door, everything just took right off.. Ash Pan install , ash lip all done with precision from the factory.. Everything aligned up prefect. They even use a roller bearing for the ash pan mechanism..No cutting corners on this stove.. Woodstock made sure everything fit perfect , even down the the heat shields that go underneath front and rear... Excellent instructions as well... Flue gases reached 300 and stove top temps on the cast iron right next to the flue collar reached 180... I'm thinking of doing 2 more easy fires before a let her solo... After all , she's going to heat me here for a very long time... I couldn't believe how close the kept the tolerances for example the front ash lip... That bolts underneath with two bolts going up through two cast arms.. No slop, yet were the front meets the stove, I couldn't believe how close they matched the angle.. Great job!

View attachment 114399 View attachment 114400 View attachment 114402 View attachment 114404 View attachment 114406 View attachment 114407 View attachment 114408 View attachment 114410 View attachment 114411 View attachment 114412
Looks great Charly

View attachment 114399 View attachment 114400 View attachment 114402 View attachment 114404 View attachment 114406 View attachment 114407 View attachment 114408 View attachment 114410 View attachment 114411 View attachment 114412

WOW! How impressive is that?! Beautiful installation Charley! I'll bet the pups will love napping in front of that stove.

PS Your Fireview is getting rave reviews from visitors to my house! ...and I love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.