ThermGuard to keep pipes from freezing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rickw

Feb 24, 2007
Since the furnace pretty much never comes on with the new stove, I got and installed a ThermGuard unit to keep the forced hot water pipes from freezing in the unheated garage. Just put it on.

It actually took about 15 minutes (instead of the claimed 5) by the time it was programmed and tested, but that's about as easy as it gets. I have one of the old round Honeywell mercury bulb thermostats, two wires - I suppose it might be a little more diffficult with a different thermostat. I've got it programmed to run 1 minute every three hours - still need to get some wrap on those pipes.

It was something like $70 - compare that to fixing busted pipes.

Simple, easy, seems to work. What's not to like?

http://www.bearmountaindesign.com

I got a Thermguard about month ago. Great product which I highly recommend.

I installed it at the furnace control box rather than at the thermostat (wife didn't want it on the wall). Cut the thermostat wires and tied in the Thermguard with wire nuts -- about five minutes from start to finish. I leave it off unless the temperatures are going into the low 20's or below. Good feeling to no longer worry about frozen pipes.....

One caution. The instructions call for a verification test after install. I though the verification test would run and then terminate; it doesn't. The unit will run in the verification mode until the unit is shut off and restarted. A call to the company got things straightened out but this might save someone else a bit of trouble.

keep thinking about this product - never had frozen pipes and have one of those programable t-stats - i take it this sits before the t-stat so it shouldn't matter what type you have

Stevebass4 said:
keep thinking about this product - never had frozen pipes and have one of those programable t-stats - i take it this sits before the t-stat so it shouldn't matter what type you have

That's right. I was just about to post their website and noticed that they now advertise on Hearth.com. Link is on the bottom of this post.

EDIT: I guess their advertisement cycles with others. Site is http://www.bearmountaindesign.com/

So does this work with natural gas furnaces too or just hot water boilers. Every once in a while I get the hot water pipes frozen and it takes about 30 minutes of flushing hot and cold water to get it going again. I have since found where cold air is coming into my crawlspace and stuffed insulation and bricks to block the air coming in. I would say a quick blast of warm air into my crawspace, where my furnace is, would prevent the pipes from freezing too

It works with gas furnaces. It controls the thermostat, not the furnace, so as long as it is a low voltage thermostat it will work. There is a complete description on the website.

After all these years, I think I'll buy one.

Think I'll mount it directly behind the wall
from the thermostat. Easy access, but out
of sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.