What's your favorite BEER?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I am enjoying the lower abv sours, have a couple good local breweries that are producing top notch sours and I am getting spoiled. Deweybeer is one that is throwing out some solid kettle sours. Also have Burley Oak and RAR. Not enough time and $$$ to try them all.

14012~1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg Tried my first Pizza boys brewery Beer. Fantastic! Now i know why their beers are kind of expensive. Smooth, Tasty coffee flavor with no bitterness at all. Kicks like a mule at 10% ABV

Last edited:
Enjoying a great beer from Founders.Dirty Bastard. Still searching for an even better one from Founders. Backwoods Bastard. Twice the price but 5 times better. If anyone spots it anywhere please give me a heads up. They didnt even have it at the Founders tap takeover at Cherokee in Danville2018_DirtyBastard_Featured.jpg .

Enjoying a great beer from Founders.Dirty Bastard. Still searching for an even better one from Founders. Backwoods Bastard.
I think both are usually in stock at my local distributor, here. I buy the Backwoods a few times a year, it’s pretty damn good. No real interest in the Dirty, myself, but we all have different likes.

I'm not a scotch ale fan but I do like other Founders stuff and overall just respect them as a great brewery with readily available (and usually fairly cheap) stuff here in NY. I see Backwoods Bastard at our beer stores and Wegmans, I assume it's seasonal?

Also think their Breakfast Stout is one of the best at it's $9.99/4pack price point around here.

One of the better brews from Rust Rail Brewery is Wolf King Warrior . An american imperial Stout at 8.2% ABV Rich, black, creamy, no bitterness and creamy texture on nitro. Coffee and Chocolate notes. Even the wife liked it. Had to bring a 64 oz growler of this home. Food is very good at Rusty Rail as well ,had smoked Prime Rib.

Rusty Rail Wolf KIng.jpg

Reactions: Woody5506
A citrus summer drink. A bit on the sweet side like a Seagrams wine cooler but with a bigger kick. 10% ABV .Founders seems to do a good job with just about any style beer. (Disclaimer) Im not a beer expert but i have a lot of first hand experience.

2019MasAgave.jpg

Stopped at the distributor today, and thought of you, Oak.

f046da850004d10085f9da4dd3dbcf5e.jpg

Also got a kick out of the Evil Genius display:

6577d4d32198c05f2981e11888975e3f.jpg

Passed on this tasty number from Freewill, too spendy, at $31/4pk.

145156a7a60f6de0ce2359737e6473fe.jpg

Updated view of the beer fridge:

36c1abf546e9209b2484380cab105238.jpge21bde53e2563bbc5f1282526165361a.jpg5bfe13d80107622e462489f13af54382.jpgb986ac6d332b57818a24f2cb8645e968.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats one nice selection of Founders there. Managed to get a 64 OZ Growler of Backwoods this week. Was $30, a little pricey at $5,66 per 12oz serving. Still looking for a case. At $80 per that gets it into a very reasonable range of $3.33 per bottle. Haven't tried the Blushing Monk yet.

Not normally much of a fan of lagers, as they are about as basic as beer gets, but I do like that Founders Solid Gold.
Yuengling Lager is about the only regular beer i like. Not that often but i always have some on hand. And for those light beer drinkers that stop by who wont touch anything over 5%

Yuengling Lager is about the only regular beer i like. Not that often but i always have some on hand. And for those light beer drinkers that stop by who wont touch anything over 5%

A buddy stopped by on Saturday, and I handed him a Golden Monkey. He realized he was effed up after just one, and then he got mad at me. “What the hell did you give me?!?”

I don’t stock many beers below 10% ABV, Monkey was one of the lighter brews I had in the fridge, at the time.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
A buddy stopped by on Saturday, and I handed him a Golden Monkey. He realized he was effed up after just one, and then he got mad at me. “What the hell did you give me?!?”

I don’t stock many beers below 10% ABV, Monkey was one of the lighter brews I had in the fridge, at the time.
I have a good friend who can drink lite beer all day but hand him a 10% and hes finished. I guess his system is accustomed to 5% and anything more throws a wrench in the gears:oops:.

Reactions: Ashful
If it's over 9%, I do what I call "strategic drinking" which basically means I make sure I have nothing else to do for the rest of the night. And if I'm out at a bar and have to drive home, I'm likely avoiding big beers.

If it's over 9%, I do what I call "strategic drinking" which basically means I make sure I have nothing else to do for the rest of the night. And if I'm out at a bar and have to drive home, I'm likely avoiding big beers.
I usually have the wife along so thats one solution ,or down a few bottles of water helps.

Could be worse, the older I get the more allergic I get to beer. Currently I am down to the low abv sours and lighter brews. Anything else I get a really bad headache. No more porters,stouts etc.. that I loved so much. Not even bourbon.

If you get a chance to try it Seacrets out of OC is making some killer vodkas and rums, I can't drink much of them but they are tasty, the orange one is awesome by itself on the rocks.

Could be worse, the older I get the more allergic I get to beer. Currently I am down to the low abv sours and lighter brews. Anything else I get a really bad headache. No more porters,stouts etc.. that I loved so much. Not even bourbon.

If you get a chance to try it Seacrets out of OC is making some killer vodkas and rums, I can't drink much of them but they are tasty, the orange one is awesome by itself on the rocks.
I get that alcohol headache too. Not all the time,it comes and goes. Ill enjoy while i can. For some reason most of the beer i like is high ABV.

I’m not as old as Oak, but for me, the headache means I’m dehydrated. Re-hydrate, then start over. [emoji14]

On the hook this evening in Genoa Bay, 28C and fully relaxed with Hoyne's Queens Rook Hefe...

Attachments

• P_20190805_175204.jpg
    P_20190805_175204.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 257
Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
You are living the life, Steve!

The last three weeks and have been too hot and calm for dingy sailing with young’uns, and with all the wood hauling I’ve been doing, this has been my longest hiatus (3 weeks?) from sailing in awhile. Got some foreigners coming to stay with us for a week, which might kill the next two weekends, too. Bummer.

Reactions: AlbergSteve