What's your favorite BEER?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You are living the life, Steve!

The last three weeks and have been too hot and calm for dingy sailing with young’uns, and with all the wood hauling I’ve been doing, this has been my longest hiatus (3 weeks?) from sailing in awhile. Got some foreigners coming to stay with us for a week, which might kill the next two weekends, too. Bummer.
We seriously contemplated selling the boat this year because we haven't used it much the last two years. Boat maintenance and deportment has not been up to standard and being out this weekend has allowed us to refocus and we've decided to sail the boat much more going forward. It's amazing how getting out on the water can make to world seem a million miles away, especially when you have great beer, scotch and company on board!

We seriously contemplated selling the boat this year because we haven't used it much the last two years. Boat maintenance and deportment has not been up to standard and being out this weekend has allowed us to refocus and we've decided to sail the boat much more going forward. It's amazing how getting out on the water can make to world seem a million miles away, especially when you have great beer, scotch and company on board!
Good! No great beer or Scotch on my boat, you'd surely spill it! We do bring cheap beer (Yuengling Lager cans) for between races. :)

I will be traveling to India later this week. Hopefully I will find some interesting beers. Last time I was there, nobody heard of an IPA.

I believe India Pale Ale was an invention of English merchants, named for the India Trading Co., for their use of it on their ships. Characterized by more hops than anyone with reasonable taste could ever enjoy, the hops preventing spoilage on long voyages without refrigeration. The theory was, “well, it tastes like chit, but at least it doesn’t spoil.”

I believe India Pale Ale was an invention of English merchants, named for the India Trading Co., for their use of it on their ships. Characterized by more hops than anyone with reasonable taste could ever enjoy, the hops preventing spoilage on long voyages without refrigeration. The theory was, “well, it tastes like chit, but at least it doesn’t spoil.”
Yep, that's what I heard too.

Which is funny because with the new hazy IPA craze, typically the fresher the better. Some IPA's taste so bad 6 months after they were bottled or canned it's just ironic that, originally, the intent was to over hop the beer to preserve it. I'm sure back then they were absolutely awful.

Reactions: Ashful
About the only beer from my favorite brewer i haven't tried is the Founders "all day IPA". I may try it someday if theses absolutely nothing else available. I dont have high hopes.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Sad, I don't like dogfish and the brewery is about 40 minutes away from me. So many other good breweries in the area I gave up on dogfish.

Speaking of the hazy ipa's, you also have a window for it, to early and its green, gotta give it a bit to mellow out.

Just got some "and hazy for all" from 3stars and it was decent.

I really wish there was an "unlike" button...;lol

Reactions: Ashful
I really wish there was an "unlike" button...;lol

Hey, they need to make beer for you guys with bad taste, too! [emoji14]

Dogfish head makes a lot of stuff I dislike, they’re a bunch of hop heads, but they have also made some absolutely fantastic brews. Their Ancient Ales series was really fun, I’m not sure why they scaled it back. I remember really enjoying a keg or two of Theobroma. Midas Touch is also a favorite among my buddies, although I personally can’t remember my own impression of it.

Hey, they need to make beer for you guys with bad taste, too! [emoji14]

Dogfish head makes a lot of stuff I dislike, they’re a bunch of hop heads, but they have also made some absolutely fantastic brews. Their Ancient Ales series was really fun, I’m not sure why they scaled it back. I remember really enjoying a keg or two of Theobroma. Midas Touch is also a favorite among my buddies, although I personally can’t remember my own impression of it.
I've tried to like Dogfish, just couldn't do it. It's probably been ten years, maybe they've upped their game since then.

Even for hop heads Dogfish is pretty lackluster. At one time, people did care about their 120 minute IPA which is now $40/4 pack or more, and laughable at best. Every year beer stores stock it and it just turns into a bunch of shelf turds. I stopped buying their beer a while ago after constantly being disappointed in their new releases at the time. There's just too many other options now to go back to any of their stuff with any hopes of improvement.

Been working my way through a case of Founders Backwoods Bastard. In my top 5 of great beers. My local brew pub has it on tap but dont have enough air on it so its not as good as the bottled.(and way more expensive). Ill be heading to Maine this week so im sure ill find more allagash brews than i cant find here in PA.

Last edited:
I will be traveling to India later this week. Hopefully I will find some interesting beers. Last time I was there, nobody heard of an IPA.
India beers are boring simple lagers for the most part. If you want to try something interesting, see if you can find some Sikkim XXX Prize Rum. It is one of my all-time favorite rums, best drunk straight or on the rocks. Sadly, it is not exported.

India beers are boring simple lagers for the most part. If you want to try something interesting, see if you can find some Sikkim XXX Prize Rum. It is one of my all-time favorite rums, best drunk straight or on the rocks. Sadly, it is not exported.
I know, Indian beers are not good at all. Staying at Marriott hotels, so they might have a few decent ones.

You will probably have to go to an Indian liquor store to find Sikkim. It's made in small batches. The herbs distilled with it impart unique and interesting flavors.

What city will you be in?

You will probably have to go to an Indian liquor store to find Sikkim. It's made in small batches. The herbs distilled with it impart unique and interesting flavors.

What city will you be in?
Various cities, I start and end in Mumbai. I will also go to a "dry" state where I have to apply for a liquor license in my hotel to drink a glass of wine with my dinner. License is free and valid for 90 days. Did that 2 years ago as well, it is hilarious.

Sikkim comes from Assam. Not sure if it makes it as far west as Mumbai. I got it in Delhi. If you find it, grab me a bottle too.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink