Woodstock progress vs hearthstone equinox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
about ceiling fan, yes, i have two and one is in the stove room and the other in the formal living room where the other stove will be. I don't like to use them cause when it helps, i don't like it push air back to the stove area and i don't like that. regardless if blowing down or up. I like to get the heat out of stove area not push it back into the stove again.
I thought maybe one ceiling fan was in the loft area and could keep the heat from pooling up there. But I agree, I think a ceiling fan near the stove hurts the natural convection out of the stove room; I would rather let the heat go up to the ceiling, then down where I'm sitting is more comfortable, and I can blow cool air with a small fan on the floor into the stove room to move the heat out if needed.
At this point I will have to marry another Princess and feel like a real king
;lol

At this point I will have to marry another Princess and feel like a real king.lol
But if you got one of the Woodstocks, you could do an in-depth running commentary, comparing and contrasting the two stoves for the enlightenment of the community. I think you owe it to us. ==c

But if you got one of the Woodstocks, you could do an in-depth running commentary, comparing and contrasting the two stoves for the enlightenment of the community. I think you owe it to us. ==c

We've had people switch and report. Both brands are so on top of everything else that it comes down to a couple of preferences and sometimes the rear vent issue.

I would love an IS for out in the shop.

That was my biggest motivation, compare both but I don't want to make the wrong decision just for the sake of have another toy.

That's why I called them and asked the questions I had an get better idea. The hearth for that stove is something else that will add more weight. With the princess is just spark and embers. That's another point, my hearth stays just a little above room temperature without. Good for the floor. If I get the whole deal plus hearth we talking about 900# easy. That's alot of weight for a small floor area.

The house is old so is the flooring but the boarding still in good. Is better go easy on it. Still to early to say wich route I am going to be going but everything point to.... Well you know

we talking about 900# easy. That's alot of weight for a small floor area.
Heck, that's no more that a couple of mothers-in-law. ;lol

Reactions: webby3650
Shouldn't take that long....but maybe you have a lot to do first?
Fire burned through the roof and a lot of the attic. Will have to tear off trusses, redo ceiling, reinsulate,replace flooring and all brick work. About 800 sq feet worth of house affected. I'm thinking about 2 months once they start. Obviously there will be some down time waiting for subs in this as well.

What's the best kind chimney liner to put into this stove? The brick chimney is only about 12 1/2' above the stove.

I see that Woodstock recommends a 15' minimum chimney height. My flue is 11" x 15" inside opening, so big enough for most options. I'm looking for as close to once and done as I can get.

What's the best kind chimney liner to put into this stove? The brick chimney is only about 12 1/2' above the stove.

I see that Woodstock recommends a 15' minimum chimney height. My flue is 11" x 15" inside opening, so big enough for most options. I'm looking for as close to once and done as I can get.
You should either shoot off an email to Woodstock or give them a call. They always welcome questions from the public. Good folks.

Reactions: Jimmy The Pepper
Fire burned through the roof and a lot of the attic. Will have to tear off trusses, redo ceiling, reinsulate,replace flooring and all brick work. About 800 sq feet worth of house affected. I'm thinking about 2 months once they start. Obviously there will be some down time waiting for subs in this as well.
Oh, yeah, that's right; Been a while since page #1, I kinda spaced that out...;em ;lol
What's the best kind chimney liner to put into this stove? I'm looking for as close to once and done as I can get.
Will you have a straight shot, where you could go Class A all the way up? You can get this in colors...supposed to be the best Class A chimney available: http://www.olympiachimney.com/6-diameter-37 Or you could use rigid liner but you should insulate it. I have an insulated heavy-duty flex liner, HomeSaver RoundFlex. Olympia also makes an HD flex liner.
As far as the height, you could add extra pipe to the top, if it wouldn't look too goofy from the street. I don't know about the PH, but guys have run the Fireview on 13' of chimney with no problem.

Last edited:
Oh, yeah, that's right; Been a while since page #1, I kinda spaced that out...;em ;lol
Will you have a straight shot, where you could go Class A all the way up? You can get this in colors...supposed to be the best Class A chimney available: http://www.olympiachimney.com/6-diameter-37 Or you could use rigid liner but you should insulate it. I have an insulated heavy-duty flex liner, HomeSaver RoundFlex. Olympia also makes an HD flex liner.
As far as the height, you could add extra pipe to the top, if it wouldn't look too goofy from the street. I don't know about the PH, but guys have run the Fireview on 13' of chimney with no problem.
It's a straight shot. I will have to cut out damper and some smoke shelf but I'm not sure how much yet.

Is class A better than the heavy flex that is insulated?

It's a straight shot. I will have to cut out damper and some smoke shelf but I'm not sure how much yet. Is class A better than the heavy flex that is insulated?
I think Class A is 1" of insulation. Hopefully @bholler will weigh in on the feasibility of using Class A all the way, but it sounds to me that with the smoke shelf and damper, it might be hard to do. I think there are different thicknesses of insulation that can be applied to a flex liner. IIRC, you need at least 1/2" if the masonry chimney doesn't meet clearance to combustibles. I have 1/2" on my flex.

Im pretty sure that class A isn't approved to be used in a masonry chimney. That's what liners are for. Cheaper, easier, and designed for this application. Besides, supporting the class A inside a fireplace would be very difficult.

Im pretty sure that class A isn't approved to be used in a masonry chimney. That's what liners are for. Cheaper, easier, and designed for this application. Besides, supporting the class A inside a fireplace would be very difficult.
OK. Reason I thought of Class A was because of his pic of the alcove setup he wanted, and I thought maybe colored chimney would be something they might want. Maybe there's a rigid liner that comes in colors as well, or I guess you could paint it? If it was me, black would probably be OK though...
Flex liner is a little easier to install....don't have to rivet together 4' sections, but I think rigid would probably last the longest. Really, either one would last quite a long while, but I don't know if they would be the "once and done" you are looking for. For me, probably so. :)

Is class A better than the heavy flex that is insulated?
I would not use class a in this case it will be hard to install and it will cost allot more with no real benifit.

but I think rigid would probably last the longest. Really, either one would last quite a long while, but I don't know if they would be the "once and done" you are looking for.
Heavy flex is just as durable as rigid. We regularly see 30 year old systems in both that are still just fine.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I
I would not use class a in this case it will be hard to install and it will cost allot more with no real benifit.

Heavy flex is just as durable as rigid. We regularly see 30 year old systems in both that are still just fine.
Is there benefit to putting more insulation on the heavy flex or is it even feasible? I just talked to Woodstock and they said 15' is the absolute minimum chimney height and they would like to see more due to low stack temps. Said I could possibly use an anchor plate with adapter to raise it higher.

Is there benefit to putting more insulation on the heavy flex or is it even feasible?
Yes it should absolutly be insulated for performance and safety reasons. Actually in most cases it is required to meet code requirements.

A huge amount of the heat from my stove comes blasting out of the large window. I can't speak to "soft heat" because this stove is my only reference point. Stove top temps are definitely lower then steel stoves I read about on Hearth. And the stove takes somewhat longer to warm up - but once it does, if you decide to let her run, stand back. Disclaimer: if I were just looking for a stove to use at night for a short fire, it would definitely NOT be a soapstone. Soapstone is made for longer burns.

Do you think I can get 12 hour burns with oak and red elm with the progress hybrid? That what I want. I font need a 20 hour burn. Thanks Bucky

Put my order in for the progress.

In the end I chose the Woodstock because of their reputation of the ability for either high heat output or long burn times. Their satisfaction guarantee and product support.

I still think the equinox would be a monster heater but don't want to spend 5k to find out. I'm now wish I had a million dollars to spend on stoves so I could test them all. This process might have become an addiction. Lol

Do you think I can get 12 hour burns with oak and red elm with the progress hybrid? That what I want. I font need a 20 hour burn. Thanks Bucky

It's says "long 14 hour burn" right on their website. Woodstock is always conservative with their burn time specs. My Ideal Steel has no problem with 12 + hours.