Work Done 2023

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
As promised in a previous post, finally got our woodshed kit delivered Monday, and put it together today. Took us just about 8 hours but we got it all done.

8'x16' - should hold roughly 3.5 cords which will store 2 winter's worth of wood!

Work Done 2023

As promised in a previous post, finally got our woodshed kit delivered Monday, and put it together today. Took us just about 8 hours but we got it all done.

8'x16' - should hold roughly 3.5 cords which will store 2 winter's worth of wood!

View attachment 318536
Very nice. 👍

Three more loads of pine came off the hill and stacked, that's four face cord up for next year. We haven't burned a full four face cord of pine yet but that will happen by the end of this week.

We'll start putting in more pine from the front stack this week, once a face cord is inside, I'll start stacking in that area.

There might be another load left from picture 4220, that was taken before or just after the first load came down off the hill.

Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023

Had several trees taken down last week by a tree service. My regular tree guy would not touch them😳. Had no choice but move them, split them and of course stack them.

Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023

Had several trees taken down last week by a tree service. My regular tree guy would not touch them😳. Had no choice but move them, split them and of course stack them.

View attachment 318572 View attachment 318573 View attachment 318574 View attachment 318575

View attachment 318572 View attachment 318573 View attachment 318574 View attachment 318575
Were they all pine? Looks like you'll get some nice firewood from them.

Were they all pine? Looks like you'll get some nice firewood from them.
Few hemlocks, few cedar, two basswood, one yellow birch. Yellow birch and one of the hemlocks will end up in the stove. The rest will go onto the fire pit. I might have three pine trees on my property. And they are huge😝

Few hemlocks, few cedar, two basswood, one yellow birch. Yellow birch and one of the hemlocks will end up in the stove. The rest will go onto the fire pit. I might have three pine trees on my property. And they are huge😝
We used basswood for kindling but since we have our share of dead pine, we switched. Hemlock was our shoulder season wood for years until the wife was ok with pine but we do have enough downed hemlock that I could cut some. We have some yellow birch in our stacks but never have burned any cedar, I think we have a few small downed cedar that would make nice kindling.

Reactions: Diabel
I mostly burn cedar in the fire pit. Occasionally when I find a nice perfect 8” round I will throw it in the stove but it is only for my short hot burns that are recommended once per week in the BK stoves.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I started late but today I did some trail clearing along with cleaning up a few areas that will give us a new trail.

Picture 4225 is part of a maple that was blocking a trail, done, 4226 is the new area I cleaned up downed dead pine, 4227 is where a cherry was down that I bucked up, 4232 is after I made it to the end of the new trail, hooking up with an older trail,4233 is looking down the new trail, 4235 & 36 is the first smaller dead pine that was cleared from a trail, 4237 & 38 is the second pine that was removed from the same trail, 4240 is after both pines were removed and 4242 is another older trail I cleaned up that hasn't been used in about three years, it connects to the main trail in that area.

Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023

You have the cleanest forest that I have ever seen! How many acres do you maintain?

You have the cleanest forest that I have ever seen! How many acres do you maintain?
Thanks @Wildflush but we have many areas that have a ton of dead trees up and down. The total with the house property (5.5 acres) is 142 acres.

I try and keep the main trails open and usually every summer put some new trails in that means dealing with older dead pines. This year I've been working more around the house cleaning up new areas that usually means another trail.

I do have permission from a neighbor if I want to cleanup some dead pine in their area, I'm almost done a main trail to their backyard but will wait until next year on doing the rest.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Thanks @Wildflush but we have many areas that have a ton of dead trees up and down. The total with the house property (5.5 acres) is 142 acres.

I try and keep the main trails open and usually every summer put some new trails in that means dealing with older dead pines. This year I've been working more around the house cleaning up new areas that usually means another trail.

I do have permission from a neighbor if I want to cleanup some dead pine in their area, I'm almost done a main trail to their backyard but will wait until next year on doing the rest.
A true steward of the land. Are the trails used for horseback riding or are they basically walking trails?

A true steward of the land. Are the trails used for horseback riding or are they basically walking trails?
The trails on the house for walking along with the four wheeler which helps me get to the dead pine, some of the trails on the 136 plus acres are used for walking, especially the trail along the Brook.

The man who sold it to us didn't want it developed while he was still living, I promised him with a hand shake that would never happen. He passed in 2016 but we continue what he wanted. He also didn't want any hunting while he was still living since he enjoyed the wildlife, that also continues today unless someone is trespassing.

We weren't having problems but we have the septic pumped every three years so this morning I did some digging, everything was working fine and that's done.

I stacked some wood we had put inside and then put in a load of ash. The push mower and trail mower were run until all the gas was gone, those were put away.

Both garden hoses along with a few other things were also put in storage for the winter, just a few smaller items go in storage tomorrow and that jobs done.

Reactions: heavy hammer
We are on the 3 year septic rotation also.

Brought in more splits to my staging area near the stove and walked my woods collecting sticks for kindling. Will collect more pinecones tomorrow.

Got out my Stihl blower and finished moving the leaves in the yard.

We are on the 3 year septic rotation also.

Brought in more splits to my staging area near the stove and walked my woods collecting sticks for kindling. Will collect more pinecones tomorrow.

Got out my Stihl blower and finished moving the leaves in the yard.
Do you have any snow coming in your area for Thanksgiving? Maybe 1 - 3 for us unless the lake effect shifts north.

Do you have any snow coming in your area for Thanksgiving? Maybe 1 - 3 for us unless the lake effect shifts north.

No snow for us since I’m in southeastern Mass. I heard snow for upstate NY and maybe the Berkshires. I’ll be deer hunting in the Berkshires after Thanksgiving so hopefully we get a little snow there.

Since we have rain coming in later today (could change to snow) I picked up different areas on the house property that had branches or tops of trees down, four loads went over to the outdoor fireplace.

Picture 4243 came from the area we call the sandpit, 4244 is a big mess of dead pine with some topped off birch I plan on getting, 4245 & 4246 got cleaned up so I can get the splitter back in there once I get the birch bucked up, 4247 is another entrance to the area the downed birch is in, 4248 & 49 are some ash tops from the gully in the back, 4250 is a big maple I wish mother nature would put on the ground and 4252 is the base of the big rotten maple.

Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023 Work Done 2023

I spent time by the fireplace today burning down the loads I had brought over a few days ago and another three loads from today. The batteries went dead after the first picture, I better charge them every night or get some new ones.

Work Done 2023

The neighbor Pops and I helped split wood apparently has a big mouth and another neighbor asked if we could help him ..... So out we go in the ol' IH 886 😏
Work Done 2023

Dragging a 50yr old splitter that is apparently the "smoothest running thing" neighbor #1 has ever seen and just had to tell neighbor #2. We got apple pie and ice cream when we were done today though so totally worth it !
Work Done 2023