Heat season officially began

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As my Oslo isn't installed yet, we had to light the fireplace tonight in the other room to drive out the grayness of tropical storm danny.....

Hmm- nothing happening over here, hadda few cool days and evenings with folks wearing sweaters but temps have bounced back pretty much. I still need to do a chimney swep, yet. Right now I'm building a new cutting rack, it's a bit over kill but I want it to last for ever..........

CarbonNeutral said:
As my Oslo isn't installed yet, we had to light the fireplace tonight in the other room to drive out the grayness of tropical storm danny.....

It's 72 degrees in my house right now and no need for heat. Hope to keep it that way for a while, like late October :)

This is the first day we haven't made it to 90 in quite a while with 80+% humidity. Looks like we are in for 70sdays and low 60s nights with low humidity for a while after Monday I could live with that until April.

stejus said:
CarbonNeutral said:

It's 72 degrees in my house right now and no need for heat. Hope to keep it that way for a while, like late October :)

It was plenty warm without the fire, but, damn, it was nice - house smells of smoke (in a good way). I can hear the crackles - it was great to get some of the wood I've spent the summer splitting and collecting burning....

I ran a half marathon here today. It was cooler in the morning, but got up to 90* and we had 93% humidity this morning. :gulp: I cannot wait for some cooler weather. But that probably won't happen until December!

pulldownclaw said:
I ran a half marathon here today. It was cooler in the morning, but got up to 90* and we had 93% humidity this morning. :gulp: I cannot wait for some cooler weather. But that probably won't happen until December!

You have cooler weather coming Monday. But rain with it.

pulldownclaw said:

1/2 marathon in 90 degree weather :question: I do 6 miles at lunch and when it's 90 (not very often) and himid, I loose about 5 lbs of water weight. I can't imagine doing twice that in that heat. You da man ;-P

MountainStoveGuy said:
I have had icy windshields a few times this month, and i have had one fire. Our burn season will start in about two weeks! I hope my new stove is installed in time, i just cleaned the flue yesterday in anticipation of installing my new rabbit feed burner. I dont want to get it dirty again with my wood stove.
Hey Mountain don't you run a Mansfield ? If so why are you getting the new stove ?

Mountains getting a little soft now. I think he is gonna burn pellets by the look of his signature. I dont even know if we should let him post on this side of the fence any more. :lol: Yes I can see it now... he will now be known as the Mountain Pellet Pig. Right after Erneest 4 signs him up.

(as the sound of me chuckling as I read this thread permeates your head)

The end of August in Arctic Alaska signifies Fall. Knowing that, the wood stove has already been lit.

I get a kick out of you guys saying "October" and "November". Heck, I'll be well into my wood stash by then! At $5 a gallon for fuel oil (some of which is harvested in my own State), I look forward to laughing at the Arabs.

We had a high of 61 yesterday and low 50's last night. My boiler ha been running now for three days. I normally run it in the summer for dhw but couldn't get a wood supply to satisfy the winters need so I let it rest a while. We should be creeping back in to the 70's this week but the swamps are already changing color and I anticipate frost by the 3rd week in September.

Didn't even get out of the 50's yesterday, had a small fire last night to take the chill out.

Rich and North, i am getting soft! the wood that is left on my property is extremely hard to get to now. I dont feel like harvesting it, and i dont feel like buying wood. Im ready for the push button heating source! i could use it this morning, its a nippy 31* right now.

MountainStoveGuy said:
Rich and North, i am getting soft! the wood that is left on my property is extremely hard to get to now. I dont feel like harvesting it, and i dont feel like buying wood. Im ready for the push button heating source! i could use it this morning, its a nippy 31* right now.
Oh,ok your forgiven!

MountainStoveGuy said:

If it wasn't for the fact that you bailed me out once and I might need you to again someday I would call you a wuss. But you did and I might so I won't. :p

MountainStoveGuy said:
<------ WUSS

Me too. I figure when I get these last four trees split up and on the stacks for 2011-2012 I am done. That is why the pellet stove I bought on clearance last year is sitting on the pallet in the basement and the new heat pump gets installed next Spring.

Dropping the last five big ones brought on a pucker factor that didn't exist before. And lugging them out of the woods seems a lot harder than it used to. :-S

I won't start until late Oct at the earliest.

When I was venting the Jumboe Moe into the chimney, the start / stops only served to build up creosote in the cold flue. Probaly t not as big an issue in the more modern unit.

When you have a heavy stove, it heats up slow and cools down slow. If I ran afire on a 45 deg night I'd probably be too warm the next day.

as a rule, I don't burn until the daytime highs in the low 40s.

Patience grasshopper.

If cooler weather means the death of mosquitoes bring it on. Those little buggers are the worst I've seen in fifty years. I'm looking for gallon size OFF. Around here the best time to really enjoy the woods is always late fall after the bugs are gone. Be safe.
Ed

Well Friday night I burned some scrap 2x4s from my recent renovation.....house was 62° and after the fire died down it was a much more comfortable 70° :cheese:

With all the insulation I installed this year I may run the furnace until November.

Frostbit said:
(as the sound of me chuckling as I read this thread permeates your head)

The end of August in Arctic Alaska signifies Fall. Knowing that, the wood stove has already been lit.

I get a kick out of you guys saying "October" and "November". Heck, I'll be well into my wood stash by then! At $5 a gallon for fuel oil (some of which is harvested in my own State), I look forward to laughing at the Arabs.

And when you are watching the Iditarod, we'll be starting to thaw out pretty good here.

I do recall being in Alaska in late August and yes, I understand why the heating starts early there. I remember having an inch of ice in the water bucket then too.

I don't know what fuel oil is selling for now but no doubt it is not near your $5 price. It is funny because when I bought our first house and got married, we bought fuel oil, but the price at that time was $0.15 per gallon. You might say it has gone up a bit since. lol

colebrookman said:
If cooler weather means the death of mosquitoes bring it on. Those little buggers are the worst I've seen in fifty years. I'm looking for gallon size OFF. Around here the best time to really enjoy the woods is always late fall after the bugs are gone. Be safe.
Ed

Ed, haven't you easterners yet learned about Thermacell? Those things are fantastic.

Backwoods Savage said:
colebrookman said:
Ed

Ed, haven't you easterners yet learned about Thermacell? Those things are fantastic.
Yes Dennis they use them at the campgrounds around here when the New York city folk send their kids up to god's country. Real Yankees prefer to spray with Deet when bear grease is in short supply. For myself I just stay inside and eat bonbons until it's safe to go out.
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.