Heat season officially began

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
woodjack said:
why do you guys prefer to run the furnace instead of the woodstove this time of year?

Because it's 82 degrees here on LI (only 150 miles from where you are but we are not in the mountains). The furnace this time of year makes hot water and nothing else.

I can't imagine how it can be cool enough to need wood heat in August (even at night), but you aren't the first person to say it can. I was outside today building another platform for next year's wood and I was soaked in sweat. Can't wait until early October when it finally gets cooler and late October/November when I can make the first fire.

Backwoods Savage said:
Ed, haven't you easterners yet learned about Thermacell? Those things are fantastic.

I can understand you liking them Dennis. But what do you do, chase the bug and give it the curling of its life? :lol:

http://www.thermacell.net/haircare/

JotulOwner said:
woodjack said:
why do you guys prefer to run the furnace instead of the woodstove this time of year?

Because it's 82 degrees here on LI (only 150 miles from where you are but we are not in the mountains). The furnace this time of year makes hot water and nothing else.

I can't imagine how it can be cool enough to need wood heat in August (even at night), but you aren't the first person to say it can. I was outside today building another platform for next year's wood and I was soaked in sweat. Can't wait until early October when it finally gets cooler and late October/November when I can make the first fire.

It was damp and raining. It's definitely colder here than LI, especially at night, and I'm up on the mountain.

MountainStoveGuy said:
<------ WUSS

Please know i say this with the utmost respect but isn't that avatar a little manly for a pellet burner? ;-)

wendell said:
MountainStoveGuy said:
<------ WUSS

Please know i say this with the utmost respect but isn't that avatar a little manly for a pellet burner? ;-)

it was more manly when it was animated, for some reason its not any more. Which i think is suitable for a pellet burner :)

Bigg_Redd said:
I won't start a fire till 1 Oct just on GP.
I'm about to break out the long johns. Don't usually start 'til late Sept., early Oct., but this year has been cooler than normal in my neck of the woods.
What the heck does that mean, anyway. "neck of the woods" - weird expression.

Forecast to hit high 30's tonight in upstate NY. With the fire burning it's going to smell like fall outside of my house. Today, sunny and dry 60's, couldn't be more gorgeous, but I'll miss you summer. See you next year.

woodjack said:

Because you barely use any fuel, electricity in my case, to heat things up a few degrees at these temps. Pretty simple really.

I'll be burning at the end of October, as usual...

BrotherBart said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Ed, haven't you easterners yet learned about Thermacell? Those things are fantastic.

I can understand you liking them Dennis. But what do you do, chase the bug and give it the curling of its life? :lol:

http://www.thermacell.net/haircare/

Wrong kind BB. lol We'll let the ladies use that one. Real men buy theirs at Cabelas.

I'm not ready to start a fire yet, but it was 52 degree out when I got up and the house was 68... it won't be all that long before I strike a match if this keeps up!

Looking at the 10 day forecast, it looks like we should be around 60 at night and mid to upper 70's during the day, so I it's going to be a while before I see the first fire of the season...

46* when I left for work this morning. The thermostat in the house said it was still 74* inside, so I think I'll be good for a while yet.

i holding out till nov 1st i hope. if it gets real cold before then ill fire up. but im holding out.

Sept.1st, 42 this morning. Turned on the electric mattress heating pad for a few minutes last night. Warm and snugly in bed. Time to get out the flannel sheets. Winters a coming. The Farmers Almanac says a colder the usual winter, NOA says warmer. Either way my wood is dry and ready. Be safe.
Ed

Sitting on the deck this morning in 38* weather. Its elk bugling season now, and there singing loud. At least loud enough to make me freeze my butt off and post on heart.net. Man i wish i had my stove installed. I could be using it about now. Now off to look for avatars, i need something pink and pretty.

MountainStoveGuy said:
Now off to look for avatars, i need something pink and pretty.

How about the energizer bunny? :)

Still have the AC going in the bedroom and other upstairs windows open at night. It was 57 outside, 72 inside this morning. If we have a normal fall season, we usually can hold off heat in the AM until late October. The first week of September really turned in NE. This is the best time of the year IMO. Cool nights and mornings and sunny and pleasent 70's during the day.

MSG, you know I was just joking about your avatar. :cheese:

You didn't need to change it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.