What's your favorite BEER?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
All smokes are terrible for you, quit while you're ahead.

Reactions: johneh and fbelec
I did 35 years ago
The hardest thing I ever did

Reactions: begreen
lets throw in a question what is the got to beer when you come in from outside work like splitting and it's 90 degrees outside.
i like coors banquet something thin and not heavy

lets throw in a question what is the got to beer when you come in from outside work like splitting and it's 90 degrees outside.
Almost anything cold and thirst-quenching will due then. Locally even a Rainier will suffice. I made an English Pale Ale for this summer that goes down pretty easy too.

Not going to lie.. not an IPA guy. Normally Heineken or Milller/Coors Light guy, but on a whim I bought a 4 pack of this last weekend.
Never had an IPA that I could call a summer drink. It was good and will buy again.

Is Rolling Rock still brewed? 'From fresh spring water in Latrobe Pa. Is there any fresh water in Latrobe Pa.? Drank that stuff when I was a teen. All it did was make you urinate and give you beer breath.......;lol

It's still brewed. Not in Latrobe though. Brand was sold a few times. From what I can find, Anheuser-Busch owns the brand and it's brewed in Newark, NJ since 2006. The original Latrobe brewery brews Guinness Blonde, again, from Googling.

I like a Rolling Rock every now and again. Has to be pretty cold though.

Ice cold Coors Light, Sierra Nevada Summerfest, or a Kolsch from a local brewery. Light and not necessarily looking for a lot of flavor.

Reactions: Alpine1
Almost anything cold and thirst-quenching will due then. Locally even a Rainier will suffice. I made an English Pale Ale for this summer that goes down pretty easy too.

i've got to get back to home brewing. never was able to make anything light enough for the summer. best i did was a honey wheat. there is a beer i like that is not for summer in my opinion just a touch heavy but have been drinking them this year is
Vanilla Porter - Refresh 12oz BTL.png

Not going to lie.. not an IPA guy. Normally Heineken or Milller/Coors Light guy, but on a whim I bought a 4 pack of this last weekend.
Never had an IPA that I could call a summer drink. It was good and will buy again.

I've converted a lot of my friends who claim to not be into IPA's. I think what most are used to are the old school kinda malty tasting IPA's that really, I agree, are not that good. The newer New England "hazy" style IPA's go down a lot easier for those hesitant on hoppy beers. Which is ironic, because most of these are ultra super hoppy, but to the point where it's more of a juice flavor that you're getting than the traditional heavy body heavy malt flavor. I think that's why the IPA market totally exploded is because that style is what lures people in.

I've converted a lot of my friends who claim to not be into IPA's. I think what most are used to are the old school kinda malty tasting IPA's that really, I agree, are not that good. The newer New England "hazy" style IPA's go down a lot easier for those hesitant on hoppy beers. Which is ironic, because most of these are ultra super hoppy, but to the point where it's more of a juice flavor that you're getting than the traditional heavy body heavy malt flavor. I think that's why the IPA market totally exploded is because that style is what lures people in.

You are further north than me and closer to the Alchemist but I love to give IPA haters a can of Heady Topper if I know it will not go to waste and I have some (rare). I tell them to drink it straight from the can, I love the tidbits but others not so much.

Which btw if anyone will be in VT and then heading south I could use some more :)

Reactions: Woody5506
You are further north than me and closer to the Alchemist but I love to give IPA haters a can of Heady Topper if I know it will not go to waste and I have some (rare). I tell them to drink it straight from the can, I love the tidbits but others not so much.

Which btw if anyone will be in VT and then heading south I could use some more :)

One of my cousins who HATED IPA's was recently converted, and all it took was a weekend in Vermont, which is of course not complete without a trip to the Alchemist.

One of my cousins who HATED IPA's was recently converted, and all it took was a weekend in Vermont, which is of course not complete without a trip to the Alchemist.
When Brother Bart and I were in DC at the first Green Heat stove contest, they held an after event get together. There was a tub of beers on ice. I can't remember what I grabbed, but it was local. Tasted kinda blah. BB grabbed Dogfish IPA because several folks here were lauding it. He took one sip and his face went sour. Thought they should name it something like DogPiss. Never having tried one, I finished it for him. It wasn't bad at all, though a bit mild by west coast standards. He went for a more tame lager.

2018_CurmudgeonsBetterHalf_Featured.jpg Tonights Brew . This one is heavy ,but a flavor explosion. 12.7 % ABV Style: Old Ale. Not your uncles "light beer" . Note of Mollassas and Maple, aged in Bourbon Barrels. Rating score 96 World Class by Beer Advocate.

Last edited:
View attachment 261806 Tonights Brew . This one is heavy ,but a flavor explosion. 12.7 % ABV Style: Old Ale. Not your uncles "light beer" . Note of Mollassas and Maple, aged in Bourbon Barrels. Rating score 96 World Class by Beer Advocate.
I've read good things about that brew.

Its been awhile since iv had anything from this brewer but with craft beer choking out their market they either have to step up their game or lose market share to the local brewers. Surprisingly good. 7.1% Very Smooth.
1.jpg

Its been awhile since iv had anything from this brewer but with craft beer choking out their market they either have to step up their game or lose market share to the local brewers. Surprisingly good. 7.1% Very Smooth.
View attachment 261951
Bourbon barrel-aged, sounds good. I'll have to give that a try. Not certain about Bud worrying about competing with craft breweries. They just buy them if they are interesting. I think A-B owns at least 15 craft labels now, not that this is always a good thing. They bought Elysian locally and essentially froze their good brews development. Now they are just another hoppy ale.

Bourbon barrel-aged, sounds good. I'll have to give that a try. Not certain about Bud worrying about competing with craft breweries. They just buy them if they are interesting.
They cant buy them all ,and they are springing up
like flowers nationwide.

Yes, they appear to be buying up those that have reached a critical size for volume delivery.

It’s been some time since I’ve had a beer but back in the day when I was in my twenties and thirty’s and living in a young neighborhood in the twin cities we sure Put our fair share of barley water away. I did refrigeration/AC work and I had a nice commercial beer meister that I got cheap and repaired so it was my garage that the party’s congregated to back then. I sold the kegerator years ago though but lately I’ve been thinking on picking up a six pack of Grain Belt Premium in bottles. Good stuff IMO. I looked for it at the Walmart liquor store in Hayward but they don’t carry it. I’ll have to look around for it. Another one I liked in the past was Mickeys Malt Liquor in big mouth bottles. Maybe some Andeker would be good too. I’m getting thirsty just thinking of it. ;lol

Yes, they appear to be buying up those that have reached a critical size for volume delivery.

It makes me wonder about the market in general. I've seen articles of certain brewers really just complaining about how they've created this monster that is craft beer which, is more so tuned to "the latest and greatest" rather than totally perfecting certain beers. In other words many customers are far more interested in new beers, limited releases, creative styles and flavors and never ending releases. It almost becomes a game to try as many different beers as possible especially with apps like Untappd. I think it's an interesting argument to make however what I really question is who created the market that is straining some brewers in the first place?

So I guess my point is, if you start a brewery, become successful to the point of getting it to a large distribution and eventually are bought out by someone like Anheuser-Busch, I wonder if it just becomes an easy way out of the industry at that point. I guess I'm sorta comparing apples to oranges though - small brewery issues vs the big craft guys being bought out.