Issue With QF Castile-B (possible purchase)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

OR_High_Desert

Dec 18, 2020
Terrebonne, OR
Greetings out there in HearthLand. Have been an obsessive lurker and reader for many years, and now am in a position to purchase a stove. Bought a fair amount of land in central Oregon. Home is 1344sq/ft manufactured that has a really expensive Trane furnace/Heat Pump. But no matter how efficient, it's super costly for power out here. Someone locally is selling a 2005 QF Castile-B. It comes with heath pad, all piping, t-stat, few bags of pellets, etc. He said that it works, but is "temperamental" . I asked him about this in an email and he had the following to say

"...Thanks for your interest. Temperamental: it runs, but once the air temp in the room reaches the thermostat setting, the stove shuts itself off. That is good...but unfortunately it doesn't turn itself back on when the temp drops. So you need to restart it by adjusting the thermostat (spin it back low, then high again), and it comes back on..."

I am having a look at it this weekend. I'm really in the market for wood, as I have had a few power outages this winter and have access to wood. But his price and the ability to run on a t-stat are hard to ignore for a stove that generally has good reviews. Any tips/tricks or pointers on solving the issue are appreciated, greatly. Thanks for everything and try not slaying the newbie too much...though I have not noticed a ton of that on these forums.

Welcome to the forums!
I would bet he has an issue with the thermostat and not the stove. They are a good stove i have worked on a few and my daughter has one. Not to bad to clean and maintain. If the price is right i would buy it. If n when you get it give it a good cleaning outside if possible with compressed air with everything opened up. Then hook a wire between the thermostat terminals and run the stove for a while before connecting a tstat up

Thanks! That sounds like a good idea. He only wants $900 for everything and is willing to take an offer. I will have a look and if he reduces his price at all, I may just buy it on principle :) Also, I would have been looking at a digital (but powered) t-stat anyway, so will keep everyone posted. Thanks again